"The Wizard" with Brian Miller on vocals, "Inside a Spaceship" V2 and an extra...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwarzenyaeger

Formerly "Dog-In-Door"
"The Wizard" with Brian Miller on vocals, "Inside a Spaceship" V2 and an extra...

I re-did the whole mix on a different set up today, again:

The second tune is an updated version of the track I posted a few days ago:

---

The third tune is a short piece that I wrote for a friend's film. It's for a scene where a secret agent sneaks up on a building so it's got a detective vibe to it.

The audio starts late since it was synced to the movie in Pro Tools.

Last edited:
It was cool until the singing started, but I listened to as much as I could handle lol. I'm not trying to be mean and I know it's just a cover. It doesn't have to be perfect, but to me it's like bad karaoke. I don't go to karaoke night for the same reason lol.

What could be throwing you off is that we imported the filed with a different sample rate so it sped the whole song up a bit, making the voice a bit squeaky.

What could be throwing you off is that we imported the filed with a different sample rate so it sped the whole song up a bit, making the voice a bit squeaky.

Maybe. There are times where it sounds like the voice is out on it's own doing something else. Like he's singing in a different key lol. I think the vocals are too loud so any inconsistencies stand out dramatically.

I listened to the first tune.

Crunch guitar sounded cool. I liked it.

The harmonicas at the beginning could be played tighter. On headphones they bounce a bit.

Vocal sounds good. Nice sound. I didn't care for the reverb. Too big. But I almost always say that. :) Too much verb on the snare too.

Levels on everything are great.

Lead guitar work was cool.

Intro was a bit long. Took a long time to get to the meat of the song.

I like you, so I'm going to focus on the positive:

- You are a good guitar player.
- I like that part at :40 with the bass and guitar. I don't remember that from the original. I haven't heard the original in a lot of years, so I'm assuming you came up with that yourself.
- I think the singing is good, but I need to hear it over better music to be sure. I mean that in a positive way.

As an afterthought, here is some criticism:

- Melodica doesn't work. Either use a harmonica or just do that part with a lead guitar.
- You fucked with the vocals a little too much. Some effect is fine, but that much is excessive. Let the man sing, for Christ's sake.
- Is there a way to make fake drums sound more aggressive? If so, follow that way if you remix this.
- Song lacks any sort of aggression, balls, or "oomph". See previous bullet point.

Good to see you are still covering Black Sabbath, especially if that is keeping you away from "Mr. Big". If that is their real name!

Good effort.

Thanks for the listens, everybody.

There is still a lot of Sabbath to come. The long term plan is to put together a cover album out of all the tracks.
That thing is in the original but only the guitar plays it. I had the bass mimic it.

At the moment, I've got some drummers doing real drums for some of the tracks so the fake ones are going to be slowly replaced. These guys are takin' their time :D

Sounds like something happened to the vox between me and you. You know I've expressed reservations over how you have mixed the vocals on me and others in this Sabbath project.

Agreed that the melodica-harmonic doesn't work. I think what stands out to me on this song is that it's all so clear and defined. BS's sound was anything but that. Definitely too much reverb on the vocal. The bass has no balls to it.

The 3rd tune - trim the beginning of your file! As background music to a film, it probably works fine. As a song, it's not much.

Thanks for the listens.
I re-did the whole mix today. I can't help but feel like the whole thing just turned out smaller today. I'm not really digging this one either.

Call it as you guys see it, I'm going back next week to do it again.

Great playing as always. For this mix I just have to say that I feel a big hole in the middle. The guitars are just not powerful enough in the mix.

cool old tune,
this was kind of the original 'heart and soul' of BS....

this mix, though,
the drums are just buried.
the guitars have a bit too much 'harsh' on the top end.
mix needs work.
cool performances, tho

I listened to the accordian/harmonica/melodica tune, which I really like. Two first impressions: the first is that things are pretty tight and sound good. The second thing is the space on the drums - it sounds good, but I'm not sure that it melds with the rest of the mix. Whatever space you've got on the kit (delay, verb) could probably be reduced a bit so that the kit joins the rest of the mix. I like the space you've got on it - I think it gives the kit character - but maybe a bit less of it would work too.

Hey everybody,

thanks for the listens!

dobro, interestingly enough, I'm actually just sending the entire mix to the same reverb. It might have been the huge transients of the kick and snare that were making them sound a lot bigger or in a different room than the rest of the instruments.

Once the rest of the band kicks in the harmonium/melodica thing works okay, I think. I think this is a pretty solid cover.

Brian's vocals seem to be floating above the tune, dissociated from the song. They're not bad; the mix is off. And, in my opinion, the harmonica/melodica is a bad idea. Do you do any original stuff? I mean, do you write and record your own songs?

Brian's vocals seem to be floating above the tune, dissociated from the song. They're not bad; the mix is off. And, in my opinion, the harmonica/melodica is a bad idea. Do you do any original stuff? I mean, do you write and record your own songs?
Hey guys, thanks for pitching in.

Two of the three songs in this thread are originals before I took one of them out and I had another original song up here last week.

This is already an old mix by now and I've got a guy doing the drums for this song at the moment so this thread could be closed actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back