This will be the last time

Bulls Hit

the last time I inflict this tune on you. I promise.
Some of you have already listened to earlier versions of this and I received many helpful suggestions. Some people commented that the original didn't go anywhere, could use a new ending etc. Well my friend Scott thought the same thing and without any prompting from me, put his own twist on the tune along with a new ending.

Interested in any comments on the tune, the level etc.

**Edit**
Thanks for all the advice and feedback.
Updated mix

Last edited:
This is going to come a little out of the blue at you, K -- but this reminds me of Beck doing electronica.

Tonally, it is well balanced, and all in all, I've no nits w/ the mix. I liked the 2:45 drop out and rebuild.

It still a "slice of music" piece -- being "it is what it is". There's not a lot of structure to it ... but it is sonically engaging.

I'd stick a fork in it.

Cool instrument bed. I liked everything.

I think the vocals were cool enough, but far back. Seems like you're hiding them. I don't think you need to. I think you could pull the instruments back and bump the vocal. To me it would be a better mix.

This is going to come a little out of the blue at you, K -- but this reminds me of Beck doing electronica.

Tonally, it is well balanced, and all in all, I've no nits w/ the mix. I liked the 2:45 drop out and rebuild.

It still a "slice of music" piece -- being "it is what it is". There's not a lot of structure to it ... but it is sonically engaging.

I'd stick a fork in it.

In the last thread, I seem to recall thinking "Beck meets NIN"

Ooh! Yeah, the down interlude at 2:45 is a good contrast.

Agree with others here, the mix is excellent and sounds really good, all the instruments blend well and everything; but those vocals need to be brought out a bit more, because they're good and the mid highs are what give perceived loudness more than anything else. Brilliant work though :)

I clicked this yesterday and i had in mind you were someone else, i said "man this sure sounds like that other guys drums" then i rechecked at the name...So yeah i like the drum sounds alot. I like the placement of the vocals for the most part, but sounds to me like some elements could be carved to make a bit more room for the vocals, the words are clear and easy to make out at some times and hard to make out at others. There's times around the 50-1:00 mark for example when the vocals get lost to my ear. There's also something echoey-arpeggiating that sounds slightly faster than the bpm of the song? It seems to take away from the precision of the groove. I like the breakdown section and buildup, I would have gone the opposite way with the vocal sound, making it sound far away during that part, just my opinion. I think it's a really cool memorable tune the "dissonance" of the melody is a unique sound over the music.

I also liked it very much. Strangely enough though, I got a Sgt. Pepper - Within You Without You - vibe right from the start. Like the drums quite a bit. Could you add a sitar..?

K-dub - I've had that Beck comparison before and I don't know how or why. One of life's enduring mysteries. Cheers Kev

TripleM - Yep I hear you on the vocal. I think you're right - another 0.5 should do it. Thanks Trip

VomitHatSteve - Aha someone remembers the original tune!

dude7691 - Thanks for the spin dude, and the nice comments

Stratomaster - Hey you've got some good ideas there. The arpeggiating thing is probably the sequencer which is doubled and panned with different envelopes on each side. Also I recorded the drums first so it was trial and error to get the sequencer tempo to match and it's not quite 100%. Thanks for the detailed feedback.

spantini - Not hearing the Beatles tbh. The inspiration was Donna Summer so who knows. Maybe she played sitar....

Good stuff - I'm partial to a bit of electronic. I started listening to this thinking that the sounds were great but that some judicious scooping out of low-mid mud would do this a world of good, particularly with regard to where the vocal was sitting. After a little while the mix cleared up and the vocal began to sit where it needed to be and the instrumentation got some clarity. I'd look into that. Good industrial drum sounds. Are you driving them hard into an analogue compressor?

Bubba po - I agree the mix is cluttered at the start, I will have a look at that. Yes actually the drums get blended through the '1176 style' compression on a UA4-710, and yes they're driven hard. Well spotted!

Hey Jimi thanks for checking it out. And we have have some unfinished business....:D
yeah I know.
I'm trying to come up with something that will work and do justice to that tune but haven't made a lot of headway yet.

Last edited:
Back