Why I sing the blues

jimistone

long standing member
I used to do this old BB King song at gigs. I've always loved it although I don't do it justice.
Just trying to get my recording chops together...so, I'm doing some covers.
Any comment, like always, is much appreciated

Why I sing the blues

Last edited:
This! This is awesome Jimistone!!! I dare say your soundcloud wait was well worth it!! For me anyways. It is super smooth, cool and organic sounding. I am digging it. Great job on the vocals too man.

Nothing here sucks. I'll move along.

nice job ..... I've done this song for many, many years ..... this is a nice rendition and you really have the same tone BB had on this recording.

Also .... ALL songs are covers except for the very first time they're played.

This! This is awesome Jimistone!!! I dare say your soundcloud wait was well worth it!! For me anyways. It is super smooth, cool and organic sounding. I am digging it. Great job on the vocals too man.

Nothing here sucks. I'll move along.

One thing sucks. I screwed up the thread title and can't edit it. Lol
"Everybody want to know...why I song the blues!"
Oh well.
Thanks for the review shanpeyton. I'm glad you enjoyed the tune man.

nice job ..... I've done this song for many, many years ..... this is a nice rendition and you really have the same tone BB had on this recording.

Also .... ALL songs are covers except for the very first time they're played.
Thanks Lt. Bob.
I really wish I had a piano in it like the original.

FIFY.

Great performances on vocals and instruments.

It's my imagination or do I detect a timing tension here and there?
Yeah, the drums lagged a little right before the turnaround during the lead ride after the first 3 verses. He got the groove back quickly and the following verse was in the pocket.

This tunes timing isn't perfect, but it's not horrible either IMHO.

Thanks for fixing the title by the way

Last edited:
Nice, buddy. I was grinning and nodding my head to the beat before the vocals even kicked in. One of the few 5-minute songs on here I listened to in its entirety.

I saw BB King live a few months ago. Very disappointing, but his backing band was great.

This sounds pretty good I suppose. I don't really know what you're after, but nothing sounded bad to me with the mix. The timing is pretty rough, but whatever, it's blues.

Thanks alot NotThatBright. I really appreciate you taking the time to listen to this blues tune. It does run 5 minutes...and I left out 3 verses and another lead ride. Lol
Sucker would have probably went 8 or 9 minutes...and nobody would have bothered. 5 minutes is a stretch.
Thanks again man.

I saw BB King live a few months ago. Very disappointing, but his backing band was great.

This sounds pretty good I suppose. I don't really know what you're after, but nothing sounded bad to me with the mix. The timing is pretty rough, but whatever, it's blues.

Thanks for listening man. Yeah, there are some timing issues with it, but I'm mainly trying to get my recording and mixing skills to a higher level. I appreciate the input in the mix.

Thanks alot NotThatBright. I really appreciate you taking the time to listen to this blues tune. It does run 5 minutes...and I left out 3 verses and another lead ride. Lol
Sucker would have probably went 8 or 9 minutes...and nobody would have bothered. 5 minutes is a stretch.
Thanks again man.

No problem, happy to listen to a song I'm enjoying. As far as the length of the song... I don't know much "real" blues, but I'm a lifelong Motorhead fan, which has a big blues influence. They do a cover of "Hoochie Coochie Man" which I sometimes play on the jukebox at this bar I often go to, which annoys people because it's 7 minutes long, and no one there likes the blues or Motorhead. Someone got even with me once by playing "American Pie" afterwards. So you see, I've paid the price for listening to the blues! :)

Lol
I started a "what are the meaning of the lyrics of American pie" thread in the cave a while back.

Lol
I started a "what are the meaning of the lyrics of American pie" thread in the cave a while back.

Hah! Next time you find yourself analyzing a song like "American Pie", stop what you're doing, say 10 Hail Marys, then pick up your guitar and start playing another blues song! :)

Really nice. What Greg says about timing, but I wouldn't have said really nice if I hadn't meant it. I dunno how doable this is, but if there's software that will track/clock drum hits, I'd be using it on this one to produce a drum MIDI pattern that would allow me to layer the snare with something that would give it more body.

Dobro and rayc...
Thanks guys I really appreciate taking the time to listen to a 5 minute song. Thanks for commenting too.

Back