Who Created Who(metal)

:49 I hear a fighting note. That intro lead seems some compression love. What you are using is not working well. The vocals come in very distant. Then limiter pumping from hell when the drums come in...

Just typing as I listen through. Sounds like you have a compressor squashing all the drums on a group. Mostly the snare. Still the vocals are washed and distant. Snare way too smashed and yes the whole mix is way over squashed. No dynamics left. The cymbals seem like you have a big boost at 10 k that makes it feel unnatural.

Just my thoughts. I think this could be really cool if you get things in order mix wise. Maybe hit me up with a PM. Maybe I can give a run with the tracks for shits and giggles. \m/

Thanks jimmy for confirming my suspicions. After giving my brain and ears a break, I ear the same. I squashed the hell out of my drums and clean gits. I will play with it (and vox) more today.

Much better than the first mix man...

But there is still a disconnect between the tracks. Vocal reverb is way too much IMO. The snare is not working as it to me sounds like the mic is being actually hit with a stick. No body in the tone at all. Sounds like a click track sample I use for drummers to track to... What software are you using for drums? I can help there if you wish.

I think the guitars sound pretty good overall but the snare and vocal verb are killing the mix for me. So it hard to really give a opinion there. What I hear that is not good, makes it tough to hear the rest of the mix. I hope that makes sense.

Improving though for sure. In my experience; you have to get those drums good first. The rest will fall into place...

And there is still a note that does not work around :49 to :52. Actually it :50 to :58 that is out of tune or something.

I just listened to your tracks on Soundcloud. I find your biggest issue overall is that damn snare. It is killing the ability for the human ear to enjoy the tracks. It killing it for me anyway. And I love metal.

There is so much cool stuff going on, but when I hear something that sounds like a 'clacker' in my ear (sorry that was an 80's thing) it just makes it hard to listen to.

I'm not thrashing on you in any way. I really like the tunes. But...

I appreciate you criticisms man, that's why I came here. This is just a simple hobby of mine. I am by no means professional, or have any professional equipment. Just my guitars, studio one, KORG nano Key and a shitty condenser mic. The drum have always been my nemesis(drum loops). Since this is a simple hobby, forking out more cash for drum software isn't in my near future.

I think I found and fixed the sour note
That clacker is splits in the tracks, but I will do what I can to repair
For the drums, I dropped the 5k area and it seemed to help
I also dropped the reverbs(I had them separated per instrument clusters) and gave a master reverb to hopefully tie it all together

Who Created Who by The Jericho Saga | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
Back