Whirlpool - new tunage

I like the little air (yes, hi EQ boost) on the vocal and the bass seems better now. I listened to that drum section at 2:40 again, I think the kick is at the same level, but the snare and hi hat seem a little lower than in the subsequent part. But no big deal.

6 minutes?? The song was over before I knew it.

I feel the drums could have more presence. It seems they are taking 2nd stage to all the guitar work when they should be right in there, playing along with them. It might just be a small matter of bringing up the OH mics. One thing I noticed, people mentioned it sounded jumpy or hesitant and that might be due to the ghost notes. Is it possible, you can edit the hits on the ghosts and lower them down? Keep the beat hits as they are. That might improve the feel, but still keep the tension of the song.

Love the Rhodes. Don't remember you using it in previous tunes.

Cool tuneage.

6 minutes?? The song was over before I knew it.

I feel the drums could have more presence. It seems they are taking 2nd stage to all the guitar work when they should be right in there, playing along with them. It might just be a small matter of bringing up the OH mics. One thing I noticed, people mentioned it sounded jumpy or hesitant and that might be due to the ghost notes. Is it possible, you can edit the hits on the ghosts and lower them down? Keep the beat hits as they are. That might improve the feel, but still keep the tension of the song.

Love the Rhodes. Don't remember you using it in previous tunes.

Cool tuneage.

Thanks Chili - didn't know it was a Rhodes... :eek: comes up as Pianoteq's W1 patch - they have W and R series with their electric piano patches and I always assumed W was for Wurlitzer and R was for Rhodes. Anyway, it is a very nice sound. I've reduced some of the ghost hits a little and mucked around with verb levels and done a bit more on the snare to (hopefully) sit it in a little better - liking it a little more each time. Haven't put that mix up yet, however... :thumbs up:

Love this! I guess I'm getting in after all the fixes because I don't hear anything I'd change. For a 6 minute song, it sure holds the attention well.

Whirlpool was stuck in my mind as read through the comments - I guess getting sucked into the whirlpool is somewhat similar to being caught up in a whirlwind. :)

I haven't caught any of the initial mixes but the suggestions are, in my mind all incorporated nicely. If I were to suggest anything it would be beef up the solo tone - the ending riffs had an excellent tone which I would use (IMHO). Solo sounded just a bit thin as compared. On the plus side it does identify itself as a different tone giving it its own signature.

I also found during the first section the vocals were up and down slightly, but settled in really well in the latter half. I've been using parallel comp on lead vocals lately and it retains dynamics but keeps the level audibly consistent. I'm not sure your chain but I found it really improved things for me. (I do compress with an opto after just to smooth it out).
Just an idea...

Anyway, that's the only things that I popped up while listening and they are quite minor really in the overall picture. Loved the song, arrangement and lyrics, top notch in my book. :D:D:D:D

A very good mix. I like the guitar sounds. Keyboard part was good - present in the song without taking attention away from the vocal. Vocal is nice and clear. There was a little boxy frequency in the vocal somewhere. But not bad.

Drums sound nice. I'm not hearing too much of the kick. While I'm there, I'm not hearing much low end from the bass either. The mix as a whole could use more low end I think. I'm not talking about a huge low end, because that wouldn't work well on a song like this. But just a little more than is there now.

There is a lead guitar part that comes in at around 3:22. It could be turned up 2-3 dbs I think.

Minor complaints. It was really good.

Love this! I guess I'm getting in after all the fixes because I don't hear anything I'd change. For a 6 minute song, it sure holds the attention well.

Thanks dude. I'm still nudging things around here and there... :)

Whirlpool was stuck in my mind as read through the comments - I guess getting sucked into the whirlpool is somewhat similar to being caught up in a whirlwind. :)

I haven't caught any of the initial mixes but the suggestions are, in my mind all incorporated nicely. If I were to suggest anything it would be beef up the solo tone - the ending riffs had an excellent tone which I would use (IMHO). Solo sounded just a bit thin as compared. On the plus side it does identify itself as a different tone giving it its own signature.

I also found during the first section the vocals were up and down slightly, but settled in really well in the latter half. I've been using parallel comp on lead vocals lately and it retains dynamics but keeps the level audibly consistent. I'm not sure your chain but I found it really improved things for me. (I do compress with an opto after just to smooth it out).
Just an idea...

Anyway, that's the only things that I popped up while listening and they are quite minor really in the overall picture. Loved the song, arrangement and lyrics, top notch in my book. :D:D:D:D

Thanks ido. I just kept singing 'whirlpool' and I didn't even know I was doing it. When I went back to the last chorus to find the best take, of the 6 takes, I only had one "whirlwind" as I'd been singing the wrong word without realising it.:laughings: Lucky it was OK. I hear what you mean on the verse one vocals... I've done a bit more volume automation in there now, I'd done more in the other verses but hadn't really done enough in V1 - hopefully better now..

A very good mix. I like the guitar sounds. Keyboard part was good - present in the song without taking attention away from the vocal. Vocal is nice and clear. There was a little boxy frequency in the vocal somewhere. But not bad.

Drums sound nice. I'm not hearing too much of the kick. While I'm there, I'm not hearing much low end from the bass either. The mix as a whole could use more low end I think. I'm not talking about a huge low end, because that wouldn't work well on a song like this. But just a little more than is there now.

There is a lead guitar part that comes in at around 3:22. It could be turned up 2-3 dbs I think.

Minor complaints. It was really good.

Cheers Trip. Those low frequency levels have been up and down like the proverbial bride's nightie... I've nudged them up a touch more and given the lead a little nudge as well. Thanks for the listen and kind words. :thumbs up:

Everything is now officially louder than everything else.... :laughings:

Very nice ethereal mix. 90% there. There are some elements in the bridge that go down a bit into low-mid mud, so a hi-pass filter might clean that up. Also (for my taste), the lead guitar can come up a bit.
I hear you using the Hass effect on the rhythm guitars (pan content hard left, use a double hard right (x)ms time-shifted later), but it may be too many milliseconds of a difference, and can be distracting (too me, maybe because I was listening for it)
Just nit-picky stuff for a good song, and good mix.
Also, if you can get this tune under 4 or 5 minutes, would be more commercially acceptable

Very nice ethereal mix. 90% there. There are some elements in the bridge that go down a bit into low-mid mud, so a hi-pass filter might clean that up. Also (for my taste), the lead guitar can come up a bit.

Thanks for the listen. Could be the massed voices in the mid section - I'll revisit the filtering - I bounce around on the lead guitar level. Will have another listen.

I hear you using the Hass effect on the rhythm guitars (pan content hard left, use a double hard right (x)ms time-shifted later), but it may be too many milliseconds of a difference, and can be distracting (too me, maybe because I was listening for it)

I've never done this in my life and certainly haven't started here - and I'm one of the chorus of people around here who constantly advise noobs NOT to do this. I always manually double things by playing it twice and panning, so that must be what you're hearing.

Just nit-picky stuff for a good song, and good mix.
Also, if you can get this tune under 4 or 5 minutes, would be more commercially acceptable
Thanks... commerciality is the least of my concerns. Most music I listen to is way longer per song than anything I'm doing. Cheers:thumbs up:

nice tune, like the keys and intro especially...i think the vocals sit on top a bit to me, I like the drum beat but not necessarily the kit, is it software? mind you Ive just finished mixing mine and my drum thump

I also do double takes and pan on rhythm guitar parts (so disregard my crit on that), but for lead guitar parts, I use some sort of stereolizer so it doesn't sound so "lonely" in the mix.

nice tune, like the keys and intro especially...i think the vocals sit on top a bit to me, I like the drum beat but not necessarily the kit, is it software? mind you Ive just finished mixing mine and my drum thump

kc in da house... Security!

Thanks for the listen. It's SSD4 for the drums. I employ a small town in Guatemala via Airtasker to shift da beatz to random locations - only costs $5 and they do a better job than I can. Bargain.:thumbs up:

I also do double takes and pan on rhythm guitar parts (so disregard my crit on that), but for lead guitar parts, I use some sort of stereolizer so it doesn't sound so "lonely" in the mix.

Cool. I went back and did a bit of HPFing in the middle section which hopefully has cleaned that up a bit. Nudged a few things around 0.5db or so - usually a sign that I'm getting close. Just now put the new mix up.

Oh my. This is nice ...

I'm hearing the vocals come forward just a tad during the first minute or so, and some eqing on them to bring out the sweet spot of your voice. And the guitar to the right going back a bit, or taking a bit off the top.

I'd like to hear the delays throughout be heard better and more clearly - maybe cut the low out and bring it forward. I like the single repeat.

The harmonies are sweet, very good job on the volume of them and the eqing.

Is the guitaring at 2:50 double tracked or a nice delay - either way, it's very well done and fills the field.

Songwise, this is a wow! But I think there are a few fixes you can pull off on the mix to make it really sing. Overall, I'd hear the vox clearer and more forward than the instruments, if you know what I mean. That's a nice voice that shouldn't be hidden.

Excellent song!
Timbo

Oh my. This is nice ...

I'm hearing the vocals come forward just a tad during the first minute or so, and some eqing on them to bring out the sweet spot of your voice. And the guitar to the right going back a bit, or taking a bit off the top.

I'd like to hear the delays throughout be heard better and more clearly - maybe cut the low out and bring it forward. I like the single repeat.

The harmonies are sweet, very good job on the volume of them and the eqing.

Is the guitaring at 2:50 double tracked or a nice delay - either way, it's very well done and fills the field.

Songwise, this is a wow! But I think there are a few fixes you can pull off on the mix to make it really sing. Overall, I'd hear the vox clearer and more forward than the instruments, if you know what I mean. That's a nice voice that shouldn't be hidden.

Excellent song!
Timbo

Thanks Mr Dwarf sir. I haven't tinkered with it for a while now, but I'll have another listen tonight, although I'm not sure I can be trusted to know where the "sweet spot" on my voice-that-I-can't-stand-listening-to is. :)

And that middle section guitar is double tracked, probably using different guitar / amp combo on each side - recorded it ages ago so don't quite remember, but I don't use delays for that purpose, so it'll be double tracked.

Thanks for your ears.:thumbs up:

Back