When dinosaurs walked the Earth

Bulls Hit

They might have jammed in their own way.
Here's my dinosaur jam. Any thoughts good, bad or indifferent let's hear them..

That is blown out. Dang!

Mp3 clicks aren't doing you any favors here. Do you have a lossless version?

I'm generally digging it tho. Can we get some more lore on this? what dinosaur is abusing those poor drums? What's playing that fuzz guitar? Who's got the high-pitched synth?

Very interesting music Marty....:) No really the mix sounds very good. I really like the drum sounds especially the kick drum, i've been listening to my own poorly recorded kicks for a week straight and your kick drum sound makes me envious. How much processing and what type do you use for that kick or is it just in the capture? Not a big fan of the guitar tone, i realize it has to be a big sound to compete with the drums, just sounds kind of artificial to me. Cool breakdown section-that synthy bass sound is a bit obnoxious to me, i'd rather hear the same part played on a distorted bass guitar backed by the synth but that's just me. Interesting sounds and tune, you definitely have a unique sound and style that is recognizable. Seems like some imagery would be great with your music, have you ever considered making a video?

It sounds great man. I have listened to this repeatedly and it's killer IMO. Sorry I was never able to come up with lyrics and a vocal. I wanted to because I really dig the tune. I'm not a great word man though by any stretch of the imagination.
Rock on brother!

VomitHatSteve - Are you getting much distortion? I did inadvertently whack one of the mic clips over enthusiastically a couple of times but the rest should be OK. Regarding the guitars etc. it's just the usual suspect. I'm still getting some mileage out of this Korg sequencer/Microbrute combination. Cheers VHS

spantini - Yep they is live for the most part

Stratomaster - Heh thanks Doc. Yeah I'm not a big fan of the guitar tone either. When opportunity strikes I don't spend much time dialling in a sound. I've learnt that what sounds great out of the amp might not translate well in a given mix so I just click through a couple of presets on the pedal and go the 1st thing that sounds usable. I've started using the room mic a lot more to build the kick sound (after I inadvertently neglected to turn on the kick mic once). Pointing the mic into the corner works really well in my room. Re the video, yep occasionally I do some filming in the natural world, you obviously haven't seen my fish or bees classics :) YouTube
Thanks for the listen & comments Strat

jimistone - Thanks man I really appreciate you giving it a crack. From my own experience, if it doesn't happen immediately it's unlikely to happen at all.

VomitHatSteve - Are you getting much distortion? I did inadvertently whack one of the mic clips over enthusiastically a couple of times but the rest should be OK. Regarding the guitars etc. it's just the usual suspect. I'm still getting some mileage out of this Korg sequencer/Microbrute combination. Cheers VHS

Oh yeah. There's a ton of distortion. Especially on those drums. It sounds pretty intentional tho. Not like you turned your wav up too much; more like you have a ton of distortion on every instrument.

I don't know, I found it to be kind of hard to listen to. The guitars are really harsh, the synth is distorted, unpleasantly. I thought the was something cool with the drums, but they could be a little more focused. It's also very loud/limited? I think you'd get a better sound by dialing back the compression and limiting and applying it more subtly. just m.o.

VomitHatSteve - Yeah I'm recording 4 tracks of the drums (snare, OHs & room) through valve amps opened pretty wide so that's probably where the hair is coming from.

andrushkiwt - Yes it's distorted but these are dinosaurs man! :D The Microbrute synth - distortion is its purpose, that's what it does. There is a limiter on there set flat to catch the overs. I have ruined jams before with limiting but this still has enough dynamics. Thanks for checking it out

Great guitar sounds as always. Bass is growly and cool too. Same for the synths.

Drums are a little far back, but not bad.

My only nit is that practically everything is going on at the edges of the mix. There is very little in the center. It's a bit of a weird feeling. Otherwise, all is cool IMO.

I'm not a fan of the kick/room sound, it all sounds a bit 'loose-drumhead' to me, but that's just my taste.

VomitHatSteve - Yeah I'm recording 4 tracks of the drums (snare, OHs & room) through valve amps opened pretty wide so that's probably where the hair is coming from.

You re-amped your drums? Yeah, that's probably where the distortion is coming from! :D :D :D

Drums sound great except an annoying ping in the snare. I'd turn those up and let them be the highlight, and turn the rest down. Too much compression overall.

TripleM - Yes you're right, the plan was to leave room for a vocal but that's on the back burner for now. Thanks for the listen Trip

I'm not a fan of the kick/room sound, it all sounds a bit 'loose-drumhead' to me, but that's just my taste.
It's those damn dinosaurs again. What can I do?

You re-amped your drums? Yeah, that's probably where the distortion is coming from! :D :D :D

Ha no sorry I meant valve preamps. Reamping sounds like a great idea though!

Nola - Yeah that damn ping. I changed the head from a single ply ambassador to a 2-ply Emperor but the ping persists. Thanks Nola

Ha no sorry I meant valve preamps. Reamping sounds like a great idea though!

Nola - Yeah that damn ping. I changed the head from a single ply ambassador to a 2-ply Emperor but the ping persists. Thanks Nola

Did you try a notch EQ to get it out? Should be able to isolate it.

Hey man, I really dig it. Yeah not for everyone, but I think the energy and vibe is there. Really sounds like industrial metal and in a movie somewhere. Good job.

Back