What? Too early?

YAY ! coming together :D

sounds much better,pest me thinks the drums could do with changing ... they stand out as midi against the nice bright bells ;)

Sax is a tad too loud in the early part of the song, I would set it back a little more, not as much you have in the end. I would would consider bring your vocals back just a touch or two (I could be more specific but then you would know I have no idea what I am saying). In the middle part of the song, seems like the highs could be reduced (above 10K) just in case anyone is jamming to the tune loud.

These are just personal taste recommendations, overall, it is a good mix.

Sax is a tad too loud in the early part of the song, I would set it back a little more, not as much you have in the end. I would would consider bring your vocals back just a touch or two (I could be more specific but then you would know I have no idea what I am saying). In the middle part of the song, seems like the highs could be reduced (above 10K) just in case anyone is jamming to the tune loud.

These are just personal taste recommendations, overall, it is a good mix.

Man, I gotta quit agreeing with you. Sax is loud at intro. Maybe it is a Portuguese thing... :)

Man, I gotta quit agreeing with you. Sax is loud at intro. Maybe it is a Portuguese thing... :)

I am glad to see I am getting better at this. I still consider myself a noob. So, thanks for the confidence building.

I am glad to see I am getting better at this. I still consider myself a noob. So, thanks for the confidence building.

Well, you are a highly intelligent noob then. :) You have helped me and others from a technical standpoint, many times.

We are all noobs. That will never change unless ego gets in the way...

Hey, thanks for the quick info guys.
Can't disagree. The vocal is the main thing I'm grappling with right now.

I'll look into the levels too. Thanks. :)

YAY ! coming together :D

sounds much better,pest me thinks the drums could do with changing ... they stand out as midi against the nice bright bells ;)

I think there are hats and rides sticking out at certain points that I'll have to iron out,
Also, I was thinking about doing my usual and layering up some shaken/rattled hand percussion. It usually takes the edge off a little.
Thanks man.

I think there are hats and rides sticking out at certain points that I'll have to iron out,
Also, I was thinking about doing my usual and layering up some shaken/rattled hand percussion. It usually takes the edge off a little.
Thanks man.

was thinking snare myself,sounds like an old GM bank,drums is the least good sounding thing in the mix ... then that piano ..

just sayin,you get bloody great results .. defo in the top 10 on here,am pointing out stuff that imo sound noobish,which you sir are not ;)

percussion sounds like fun :D .. but that pants snare will still pad along blandly .. drumagoog (or equivalent?) maybe?

was thinking snare myself,sounds like an old GM bank,drums is the least good sounding thing in the mix ... then that piano ..

just sayin,you get bloody great results .. defo in the top 10 on here,am pointing out stuff that imo sound noobish,which you sir are not ;)

percussion sounds like fun :D .. but that pants snare will still pad along blandly .. drumagoog (or equivalent?) maybe?

I cant deny that I don't like the snare either..

Heh. The keyboard is awful. I mean, it's kinda meant to be but maybe it's a stretch too far. I'll audition some more.
Snare you say? Fair play...On the list.
Thanks.

Edit: Thanks for the compliments, btw. Means a lot!

I think it sounds mint! Sax is a little too loud but I'm only listening on a Galaxy Tab. (Not got my studio set back up yet, this week coming I'll be on it) So I can't really give more of an opinion on the mix yet.

I'm a big fan of Pete's songs and Paul's work though so I'm a little biased. I'll be back in the week for a better listen.

:thumbs up:

nice ..... being a sax player I can't get too excited about the sax part ....... I'd almost rather some jingle bells there but otherwise I likes the tunage .... it's well done.

I'm struggling a little with Christmas this early Steen - we went to a garden centre this morning and xmas stock was everywhere, so I guess I felt slightly more prepared after that.

You managed to write a catchy, recognisably christmassy song here, so well done. I'm not sure I'd listen to any Christmas tunes for pleasure, but it all sounds well recorded and mixed. The biggest issue I had is that the volume drop between about 2.30 and 3.15ish was too drastic. I actually thought it was a fade out to the ending - then I looked at the time bar and it was only about half way through. I know it's a breakdown section, but I reckon you need to even out the volume there.

The biggest issue I had is that the volume drop between about 2.30 and 3.15ish was too drastic. I actually thought it was a fade out to the ending - then I looked at the time bar and it was only about half way through. I know it's a breakdown section, but I reckon you need to even out the volume there.

Alright, sweet man. Thanks for pointing that out. ;)

Talked to you before about this one steeno, I missed this post in the clinic though. I swear it's almost got a paul simon sound to it. Early for Christmas for sure but I like the tune and to my ears it sounds good mix wise.

When are we going to setup an across the pond collaboration??

I thought this sounded real good. I liked the levels on everything. Instrumentation was real good.

I might double track the vocal in the chorus. Some background vocals going "Ahh" along with the chord progression thru the chorus might be cool too.

I might back the bass down a couple db's. To me a song like this should have a "small-ish" bass part.

Yeah the bass was too big for this tune. A bit of sibilance here and there but if you cut it you might lose the nice clarity. The rest was perfect for me. Cheesy is fine for me as I'm not one for 10 dollar words. As I shovel a lot of snow here I found the rain at Christmas a bit weird haha..

Nice. I hate rain on Christmas. I grew up in New England and about the only thing I miss here in Texas is snow on Christmas eve. So, I'm connecting with the song a bit.

Dial back on that reverb!! talk about cheese!! he he he... :) Pete has a great voice. I like what you did with the arrangement and instrumentation. I get it and it's good. I would suggest riding the faders a bit with the lead vox and maybe add in some background vocals for more cheese factor. I can picture a video where the reindeer are doing all the backing vocals.

I must have sensitive ears this arvo - there's a need for de essing from my end.
Not too cheesy - quite well done.

I might double track the vocal in the chorus. Some background vocals going "Ahh" along with the chord progression thru the chorus might be cool too.

I might back the bass down a couple db's. To me a song like this should have a "small-ish" bass part.

Thanks Trip. Vocals were already double tracked but I've notched them up a bit now.

Yeah the bass was too big for this tune. A bit of sibilance here and there but if you cut it you might lose the nice clarity. The rest was perfect for me. Cheesy is fine for me as I'm not one for 10 dollar words. As I shovel a lot of snow here I found the rain at Christmas a bit weird haha..

Bass has been pulled back a bit too. I think you were all right about that.
Thanks. :)

Dial back on that reverb!! talk about cheese!! he he he... :) Pete has a great voice. I like what you did with the arrangement and instrumentation. I get it and it's good. I would suggest riding the faders a bit with the lead vox and maybe add in some background vocals for more cheese factor. I can picture a video where the reindeer are doing all the backing vocals.

Hehe. That's some image! I love it.
Are you talking about the reverb at the outset? I have a wet verb that dries out just before the beat kicks in.
If that's it, I pulled it back a touch anyway. Cheers.

I must have sensitive ears this arvo - there's a need for de essing from my end.
Not too cheesy - quite well done.
Yeah. :( you wanna hear it with the de-essers turned off.
I tried tweaking them, but it's always a losing battle with this chap.

Thanks for all the comments. Should be posting the final mix in the next day or two.
I've sped the tune up a touch and replaced the snare.
All the pointers here have been great.

Back