What else should I add to this track?

Resurrect

Hey, guys! I'm currently working on a new song, but I'm just not sure what else to add.

I've got electric (rhythm) guitar and vocal tracks down, but I'm not sure what to add from here. Of course drums. And probably bass. But I don't play bass, and I don't have the opportunity to record drums at the moment. I want to put in a background acoustic guitar track, and maybe some background vocals? But I'm really at a loss as to what to add/ how to compose the acoustic and/or lead electric guitar parts that I might want to add. Thoughts and advice would be much appreciated

I Didn't Know (Guitar And Vox) by Josh Crain | Free Listening on SoundCloud

It sounds like you need to get set up to record full arrangements. I'd suggest:

1. Get a DAW and an audio interface, if you do not have these currently. Reaper is inexpensive and has everything you need.
2. Get a drum VST plugin like Addictive Drums, EZDrummer, Superior Drummer, etc. You can build demo-quality (or better) drums tracks yourself.
3. Go buy a bass. If you can play guitar, you already have the foundation. $200-300 will get you used bass plenty good enough for purposes. I'd suggest a used Mexican Fender Jazz or P-bass, or even a Squier. You don't need a bass amp. Plug straight into your interface. You can record bass direct and practice through your monitors or headphones.
4. If you intend to mic acoustic guitar, you might want to invest in a decent small or large diaphragm mic. But try whatever mic you are using for your lead vocal first. See how that sounds.
5. Your lead vocal recording is passable. Whatever mic you are using is working. Use the same mic for backing vocals.

It's not that hard but there is a learning curve. You have a song to record. That's the first step and the one many never get beyond.

Take it one step at a time. Set up a drum loop or a click track. Track your guitar. Overdub your bass. Add the acoustic guitars. Track your lead vocal. Overdub your harmony vox, lead guitars, keys, etc. Refine your drum program. That's my preferred way of doing it. There are many other ways.

Yeah, I have both a DAW and several interfaces. (I'm using an Audiobox USB by Presonus for both the vocal and guitar tracks here.)
I have a drum and kit and just have to wait till I can go use one of the practice spaces at the local college's music building, because I live in a trailer park and the neighbors don't like loud noises. lol. That's what I meant by "I don't have the opportunity to record drums at the moment. (Also, I'm a purist and purely out of principle, I hate fake drums.)
I used to have a bass and can actually play a little bit, but not with any sort of finesse. I want more than a simple bass part.
I have MANY microphones, several small and large diaphragm condensers, and a handful of SM57s and an SM58.

I've been recording for... oh, about three or four years now. (haven't done anything in about a year lately, but I've got the time and space available to me now.)

My real question was, "what should I add?" Even with drums, it's going to be a little empty sounding, and I'm not very good at composing musical parts aside from guitar, drums and piano. I guess maybe I posted this in the wrong sub-forum, but I'm really looking for ideas on what other instrumentation would sound good with this track.

P.S. Thanks for taking the time to listen to it and give feedback. :thumbs up:

You need to get drums and bass on there first, then take stock. You might find that you don't want to add anything because you're composition is entire unto itself. Or you may want a little breakdown or a lead break. Point is you probably won't know until you have the rhythm section in place, which is pretty much mandatory for a rock tune (which is what I assume you're going for) and other things will occur to you. I understand your philosophical opposition to fake drums, but a rudimentary drum track can help crystallise ideas until you're ready for live drums. Likewise even a basic bass track that follows the root notes adds another dimension that can help build the bigger picture. Once your composition/arrangement is in place, the question changes from 'what can I add?' to 'what can I take away?'. When the answer to that is 'nothing', you're done.
Btw I like what you've got so far

I guess maybe I posted this in the wrong sub-forum, but I'm really looking for ideas on what other instrumentation would sound good with this track.

Maybe the songwriting forum? I'm not entirely sure that's right either. There isn't really an arrangement sub-forum.

So what instruments do you have the capability to add? Again, drums, bass, and BGvox would all be good choices. With VSTis, you have the ability to add most any instrument you can imagine, but if you have any other analog instruments available, it might be worth considering adding those and seeing what the results are like.

I guess you're right there ready to start taking your first steps into arranging...really it'd be good if you can imagine the whole song...or most of it right from the start. Of course things can evolve. You've mentioned bass guitar...of course! Drums, yep. Acoustic guitar...maybe...though it doesn't instantly strike me as the kind of song crying out for acoustic guitar...but there's no rules. Backup vocals...sure. So, you have a basic idea of what you want there...but what do you want from it collectively? What you have kind of sounds like a nirvana-esque 3 piece grunge sound.

I guess you're right there ready to start taking your first steps into arranging...really it'd be good if you can imagine the whole song...or most of it right from the start. Of course things can evolve. You've mentioned bass guitar...of course! Drums, yep. Acoustic guitar...maybe...though it doesn't instantly strike me as the kind of song crying out for acoustic guitar...but there's no rules. Backup vocals...sure. So, you have a basic idea of what you want there...but what do you want from it collectively? What you have kind of sounds like a nirvana-esque 3 piece grunge sound.

This definitely is Nirvana inspired. I'd just started getting into them at the time I wrote this. I figured that with Grunge you just throw together whatever chords don't normally go together and sing gravely and agonized. lol. It worked. And it really translates the feeling I wanted.

But yeah. Arranged isn't something I'm really used to and is taking some serious thought. lol. Thanks for listening.

Back