What About Me

I think the balance of this is good, and the vocal sits well. I get what Greg is saying about the drums, but I really like how the kick works with this, and wouldn't play with the snare either. I also agree that the guitars are too close, but the bass is having a nice effect on the kick sound and if you mix down the guitars the bass will sound too loud. Perhaps test pushing them back/wider with distortion/reverb.

Thanks for the comments Ray, Jimi, Bill and Tobe. We'll try do some remixing this weekend, then post the update when it's done.

It's a good, tight song. Good vocals. I didn't really find anything that bothered me about the mix except the drums. The drums sound a little too far back in the mix, and I'd probably try to get a little more articulation out of the kick (sounds boomy to me, but could be my speakers). I'm also hearing some sort of artifact associated with the cymbals, but once again I'm not sure of it's the mix or my speakers.

Out of curiosity, since you've given your band member line-up, was this recorded in one session, together, or was it "compiled" over the internet. I'm really curious about that sort of collaboration. . .

Hamilton Steele- What About Me

Hi - new tune we're working on. We've been mixing all day so we need to take a break and see how it's going so far.
Let me know what you think of what we have so far.
mjhamil - Vocals, Bass
ido1957 - Vocals, Guitars
Poeticintensity - drums

Something's overcompressed. It's pumping like a hammer. Ease back on the compression and let the song open up and relax. The rhythm will carry it along just fine.

Out of curiosity, since you've given your band member line-up, was this recorded in one session, together, or was it "compiled" over the internet. I'm really curious about that sort of collaboration. . .

Gerry and I get together with a song idea and work out a rough draft, then we "compile" working with a synth drum track until we are relatively sure of the direction of the song. Then we produce a workable version and ask Poeticintensity (Jason) to add drums. With drums added (compiled) as a reference we usually rework until we feel it's ready for scrutiny by revered critics such as yourself. Our ears sometimes can't hear the mix problems any more so with these comments we try to refine the final mix to an acceptable final version. Thank you so much for asking and for all of your comments, good and "bad"! :)

Back