We're Gonna Do It (In the Butt)

propman

Pretty straight forward concept here. I'm just going to let the tune speak for itself, for once.

[MP3]http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65316259/We're Gonna Do It (In the Butt).mp3[/MP3]
For Mobile Users

The high pitch vibrato must've been difficult to sustain.
The drums are much more assertive than I've been used to with your songs Adam.
They're cool.
The guitars are cool too.
Nice bass too.
All in all quite a strong arrangement and fun song!

I've been practicing falsetto for as long as I can remember. It's my favorite singing style. I use it sparingly but I wanted ONE song where I could just do solid falsetto. Thanks for listening, Ray. I'm glad you like it!

This track was a joke, right? I don't like the sentiment, and I don't like the song.

From a technical point of view it sounds like it was hi-passed at 100Hz and low passed at about 3kHz. Awful.

This track was a joke, right? I don't like the sentiment, and I don't like the song.

From a technical point of view it sounds like it was hi-passed at 100Hz and low passed at about 3kHz. Awful.

What, exactly, is wrong with the sentiment? Eh?

Yeah, I've heard much better songs, performances, and mixes from you. Maybe I've just come to expect really great stuff from you, but this does seem like kind of a joke song for you.

As far as the mix goes, it's hard to make out what you're saying, which is REALLY un-like any of your mixes that I remember. Your vocals are usually very clear. I hear a lot of smacking in this, and the vocal track sounds really over-compressed.

Nothing about this is really bad, other than the actual song itself (just my opinion). But I've come to expect more than "not bad" from you.

Noted. Appreciated. Thanks for listening.

The drums and harpsichord (in the second chorus) are synthesized. Everything else is real.
Why do you ask?

Just curious. I get it wrong quite a bit. Focusing on the instruments kept me from the disturbing lyrics, though they were impossible to ignore.

In today's climate, the joke just doesn't land. I'm not much of a fan of novelty songs in the first place, but this definitely isn't a funny sentiment. Mainly the "...and you're going to like it" bit. Not a popular sentiment.

Lead balloon lyrics aside, the mix and tune is actually pretty great. I like the lyrical performance and tone. The melody and structure are actually pretty terrific pop material.

The acoustic guitars sound too piezo-pickup plastic-y. I'd recommend mic-ing them instead, or if there's a mic'd track mixed in there, I'd just use that and ditch the direct signal altogether. There are few things that I hate more than the sound of an under-saddle pickup on an acoustic guitar. (One of those few things being lyrics that imply non-consensual sodomy)

The bass needs more oomph, like somebody mentioned above, it sounds like it was hi-passed or something. If there's a hi-pass on the guitars, lower it a bit. Let the low end of the mix come through more, it sounds strangled.

I don't find the subject offensive. What is offensive to me is that you didn't do enough with it. It's not funny enough. It's not funny at all. Or maybe it is and I just couldn't tell through the mashed up warbling falsetto vocal treatment. I think that if you're gonna write a novelty song about questionable themes, make it intelligible, intelligent, and clever. In my opinion, this one falls short on all that.

The mix is pretty rough to listen to for me. The guitars are searingly bright and plastic sounding. They sound like poorly done direct acoustics. You always perform your vocals well, but the treatment on these is kind of harsh to me. They're hard to make out and hard to listen to. They sound really squashed and hot. I do like the bass. I think the bass lines, tone, and presence in the mix is pretty good on my end. The drums are just meh. Fake drums, what are you gonna do? The vocals and guitars kill this mix for me, so if you're gonna take any of this into consideration, fix those things.

I think Bubba is more offended by the combination of anal and rape. Anal is okay. Rape is okay. Anal rape is not okay.

There are few things that I hate more than the sound of an under-saddle pickup on an acoustic guitar. (One of those few things being lyrics that imply non-consensual sodomy)

This is my favorite post of this thread.

The more everyone else hates it, the more I kind of like this song.
So the mix - Vocals: That is an excellent performance. The falsetto warble is intense; the harmonies are beautiful. Excellent work there!
The drums and bass - Eh. they're alright. Nothing to exciting there.
The guitars - That tone is... weird. I guess you did that on purpose, so I don't know what to say about it...

Hrmmm... Yeah... Not sure. Drums didn't wow me, but I guess that's to be expected. There was something about the whole mix that seemed very boxed... It couldn't breathe much. The mix didn't allow me to enjoy listening much. Not sure why, exactly. :cursing:

I must have weird ears and odd comprehension.
I didn't hear it as rape - braggadocio maybe, irony probably, a different bar scenario definitely.
Was it implied or inferred?
If you've heard/read Adam's lyrics more than once you'll have noted a sense of humour that has strong roots in Devo, The Residents & They Might Be Giants amongst others.
Some of it is Dada-ist, some iconoclastic and some is just a suburban boy in weird, wild world.

I thought it was a neat song. The song structure and the vocals performances are catchy. I don't like the guitars though, sound too DI to me but everything else was not bad.

I've listened to it a couple more times. I'm kinda digging it still. It's no belie/rely, but it's it's a solid delivery I think.

Ray and VHS, thanks for defending my tune. The rest of you, thank you for tearing it apart. There's one thing I'm puzzled about, though. Why the aversion to DI acoustic? I mic it for practically every song I record but I liked the plastic-y feel in this setting. I don't think it's a bad or cheap sound -- it's just a sound like any other, right?

Back