Weird Sound in a Recording

josheme

Howdy,

Every once in a while I'll hear something in a recording I do that sounds like an artifact of some sort, but I can't understand how it could have crept in. In this example I was recording from an MXL-990 -> USB Interface (Edirol UA-25) -> Reaper. You're hearing a dry signal. The same sound appears in the uncompressed version...View attachment share_weirdness.mp3 So where the heck is that flanging like sound coming from around the lyric "share"?

It's possible that when you were singing you had moved slightly toward or away from the microphone and your breath was picked up. Kind of like when you hold your hand in front of your mouth and make the "hah" whispering noise. Move your hand back and forth and you'll hear that same sound. It could be that. But if it's not that, I have no idea.

OK, that's possible. I do tend to move around a bit when I'm singing. Probably a terrible habit due to the variance in dynamics and the potential for stuff like that. Anyone else have any ideas? Think that's definitely what happened?

Back