Weight In Gold

PhilLondon

Hey all. Me and my friend recorded a song together. This is only the second song I've recorded and the first I haven't finished yet, but I feel I'm having more success with this one.

I'm still getting to grips with compression and EQing and I mainly used EQ on the Bass, snare and kick drum, so I'd be interested in your thoughts on that. I also used trial and error with compression as I'm still not fully sure how to use it.

I used a factory setting ion the Output bus as I'm not 100% sure how to use a limiter, and someone told me about a trick to make the mix louder by bouncing it to a new file and increasing the volume. I did do this,. but I'm not sure about how wise it is to do this; to my ears it sounds okay.

Anyway. Any thoughts on the mix, EQing and compression would be awesome! Thanks for reading!

https://soundcloud.com/demosandideas/weight-in-gold-1

I'm not a fan of the snare... too much reverb and needs to be generally tighter maybe try boosting the highs on it some. The bass needs more presence - slide the fader up a tad and see what that does (tone for this song seems fine for the bass and it is actually mixed well, EQ wise). Try putting (more?) reverb on the vocal track, it sits weird on top of the music bed and needs to sound as if it is part of the song and not just a separate track thrown on top of it.

Overall good job!

I wouldn't be worrying about final mix output and limiting it for volume just yet. Gotta get the mix right first, then you can mess with that stuff. With that said, your mix sounds pretty good to my ears. However, I am not hearing much bass. I can hear snippets of it. I would bring it up a little and see if you can get some more volume out of it without making it muddy. Also, I would consider automating the vocals on the verse down a db or 2 .

Mix is pretty good. I would maybe reduce a little on the upper end (above 10K) and put some more on the bottom (guessing here, 50-1K) give it just a bit more thump. Not a lot on both sides, a pinch so to speak.

Pretty good mix really.

Thanks for your suggestions and compliments, I'll give them a shot. :)

I agree with the output comment, I thought it sounded okay so just added a factory setting to get some volume for my friend who was desperate to hear it. I still intend to do it myself.

On the bass I cut the extreme highs and the lows and boosted some lower mids, which seemed to work. I know people say generally you should cut and not boost but I used my ear and it said boost.

DM60 - What are you referring to? The snare?

The snare sounds like you were going fo Jack "n" Dianne in the middle of alt pop.
Not enough bass guitar (I assume that's it chugging in the back).
I don't think the solo fits tonally or stylistically.
Nice vox & cool song.

Good song. The vox do kind of sound like they are not in the same space.. Maybe try a verb bus and have all the instruments use it if you havent already.

The guitar solo kinda ends wierd.. It seems like the phrasing is a little by the seat of the pants and that phrase ended up a tad off.

I agree about the tone of the solo and have been planning to reamp it, but we like the actual solo, and the phrasing so I don't think that want to change anything other than the tone and where it sits in the mix. The chorus has a fair amount of punch and the solo is meant to reflect that. I think it might be a bit too dry and with a tad too much gain though.

After a few days away from it I can hear that the vocals are also a bit dry, so I'll address that.

Thanks, I'll post an update at some point. ;)

Last edited:
The mix is pretty close. I don't like the guitar sound. Too much verb maybe? Just wish it was "clearer". I think it might be muddying up your mix a little. I didn't mind the guitar solo sound.

Fun song. Like the chorus a lot.

Back