Weeping Shadows

VTgreen81

This is my first attempt at mixing. Be kind. This is just for practice, everything needs to be retracked. We haven't bought the monitors yet so this was all done in cans. And the drums were recorded with three crappy mics.

Give it a listen, tell me what you think.
Thanks.

Weeping Shadows

Last edited:
Gtrs feel unaturally thin. Track Lacks bottom. Definitely need to get out of the cans. Mix overall feels very small.

You can get a nice drum sound from 3 properly placed crappy mics. Just take your time to use them best yah can.

Thanks for commenting. I'm not sure what you mean by the mix souds small. Should I add more reverb? Widen the stereo field? Beef of the low end with EQ? My monitors are coming so I should be able to hear better soon.

Nice track! Overall very well done. I agree that it might lack a little bit on the bottom. Perhaps that accounts for the "small" comment. Although I can hear the bass and kick, they don't move much air, at least on my Mackie HR824s, which seem to have plenty of bottom. Maybe a little more umph on the bass and kick tracks and then a nice multiband compressor on the mix to help tame it a bit.

Anyway, I think its pretty good. I like it.

whenever I speak of small it is not volume levels, it is always in reference to spaciousness of the mix. the use Of l/r and front to back .

So green you got the idea. Widen the Stereo field a bit but think in 3d. Height, width and depth.

giles117 said:
Gtrs feel unaturally thin. Track Lacks bottom. Definitely need to get out of the cans. Mix overall feels very small.

what he said...

not my type of music, yeah, it does sound thin...but i like all the stuff you've got going on...for some reason this song takes me back to those 80's epic bands like styx or something...like a cross between Styx and Uria Heap... it's funny you've got a pict of some wizard on you site cuz this sounds kind of like rock opera from some wizard or magical movie. interesting...i can definitely tell there was some time spent on this. the over all volume does seem a little soft. do you compress?

Back