This Weeks Mix - Sugar

Sounds like it may be a good song but the mix is pretty blah.
Too much bass, not enough kit & hat's there sounds like it's in another room.
One of the guitars sounds ok but the other only presents as fizziness in the chorus.

It sounded pretty good to me. At first I thought the vocal was too dry, but in the end I liked it that way.
Something weird happens to the drum roll (at 0:37) - sounds like its distorting in my headphones.
I'd also bring down the ringing cymbal in the chorus a tad.

Great song, man. It is awesome.

The only thing that bugs me in the mix is that the cymbals are too loud. But if you like them like that, keep it, because the mix sounds good. It sounds like a real band playing a real song. Isnt that what recording is all about?

Keep posting good songs.

I'd say the vocal is a hair loud during the verse. It sounds right during the louder parts/chorus.

I like the vocals, good front-man voice there. The vocals sound a little hot in the mids...either overcompressed or over-EQd. They could use a tiny bit of ambience too. They're really close to awesome though, just a great voice for this song.

I think that the hihat is too loud, and the overheads sound like there's an unnatural EQ boost in the highs. A little too much woof in the kick too. I wouldn't want the kick to disappear but it booms a little too much.

Nice song, well performed, and well recorded. You're like 95% there to my meager ears.

EDIT: I just saw the updated mix...

The same goes for the vocals. The mix as a whole is much louder, but a little fatiguing in the hi-mids and highs. I still think that the drum overheads sound too hyped in the highs.

Cool song. Nice riff. Snare is really lost though. Kick is fighting the lows on the guitars and bass. Agreed that the brass is in general too loud. Vocal is nice and up front, though.

Back