The Way To You (Acoustic)

andrushkiwt

Much older song, recorded for the first time. Decided to go with acoustic since I'm liking this new setup. I'd like to hear any feedback on the mix/arrangement. thnx

Don't let me down,
I have grown to love the way you sound.
The shame on me,
I'll take my conscience set it free.

"The way to you is a way to me",
I still remember what she said to me.

Shiver for me,
it's much too cold and I can't sleep.
Scars on your skin,
but you have valiant love, so you can breathe again.

I've been hoping so long to be
here with the one that I belong to.

Last edited:
Just a couple spots where the instruments bury the vocals, maybe a little bit of ducking on all those instruments bussed together?

The intro, single guitar seems just a little harsh, or maybe its volume. I'd probably build it up a little more at the start, but that's me.

Nice song!

Nothing really stands out to me, sounds pretty good. I've always liked Bm-G-D-A stuff, I just like that progression. Sounds cool in drop-D too.

Vocals sound nice and bright and up-front. Acoustics sound nice too. I would maybe experiment with cutting some high-mids from the guitars, very subtle though, around 2 to 3k-ish, somewhat narrow Q, like 2db. Might make it a tad warmer and let the vocal sit even better. Still sounds good as is though.

Kind of an abrupt ending- I might have let the last A chord ring out instead, but that's just a taste thing. Nice job dude.

Side note: Are you using any Slate plugins yet? Can't remember if I've asked you this before. I got the "Everything Bundle" a few months ago and it's incredible, and only $15 a month. I think you'd love it. You can answer in a PM if you want, so I don't derail your thread. I also just bought the Slate VMS (Virtual Microphone System) and it is unbelievable (that was $1k though, but currently on sale for $799, worth every penny)

Again, nice tune as always :thumbs up:

As usual, I like the song. I think the acoustic needs some type of EQ'ing as well to remove something....I'm just not sure what it is. I like the arrangement and overall mix. Do you have the lyrics posted somewhere? Unfortunately, I'm only listening over laptop speakers today but other than a couple of the acoustic guitar frequencies, the overall mix translates well and sounds good over these crappy speakers.

Just a couple spots where the instruments bury the vocals, maybe a little bit of ducking on all those instruments bussed together?

That's the big thing I noticed too. The rhythm guitars are very forward and tend to dominate the mix. During the first verse, when the vox have much more 'verb, it's particularly apparent.

I'm trying to figure out what's happening with the bass. It sounds like you have one in there, but it doesn't have much definition except for a few clicks on the attack. So that's primarily for a tone thing? Or should it be defined?

I think the abrupt ending is fine.

These are kinda nit-picks. It's most of the way to where I'd think it should be.

The song is very good from the basic idea. A little percussion would revalue the song. I would replace the Nananana with a text and a small intermediate solo part would also be good. Sorry my lyrics English

Nice rhythms. Guitar sounds OK... are you compressing it? If so sounds like a long-ish attack and short release, which makes the tails of each gtr note noisier. If it were my mix I'd shorten attack to maybe 2ms and lengthen release to at least 80ms. Electro mode only--depending on which compressor you use. Opto compressor would be too slow for the fast strumming. I think making the guitar a little less clicky (attack) and noisy (tails) would help a bit more.

I think the guitar is a little too fat and it is making the vocal seem thin. The guitar seems to have a little too much in the 100 to 500 frequency and the vocal seems to be lacking in that range. You may be able to boost that range on the vocal and cut a notch, in that range, out of the guitar. I think that would solve the buried vocal problem without having to move the levels.
Great tune man!

Good mix. Rhythms seem tighter than the version you sent on PM. I like hearing the low end of the guitars.

The intro, single guitar seems just a little harsh, or maybe its volume. I'd probably build it up a little more at the start, but that's me.

Nice song!

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I'm still working on EQ'ing guitars, that's always been an issue for me. I mix with headphones, so that's 90% of the problem, I'm sure. I hear a slight harshness/woodiness to the guitars in the car, but once I get to my phones, it isn't there, so I'm guessing when I make some EQ cuts. Apparently it isn't the usual spots (1k, 1.5k, 2.5k), but some other midrange area, probably dependent on my room and mic position as well as mic choice.

Nothing really stands out to me, sounds pretty good. I've always liked Bm-G-D-A stuff, I just like that progression. Sounds cool in drop-D too.

Vocals sound nice and bright and up-front. Acoustics sound nice too. I would maybe experiment with cutting some high-mids from the guitars, very subtle though, around 2 to 3k-ish, somewhat narrow Q, like 2db. Might make it a tad warmer and let the vocal sit even better. Still sounds good as is though.

Kind of an abrupt ending- I might have let the last A chord ring out instead, but that's just a taste thing. Nice job dude.

Side note: Are you using any Slate plugins yet? Can't remember if I've asked you this before. I got the "Everything Bundle" a few months ago and it's incredible, and only $15 a month. I think you'd love it. You can answer in a PM if you want, so I don't derail your thread. I also just bought the Slate VMS (Virtual Microphone System) and it is unbelievable (that was $1k though, but currently on sale for $799, worth every penny)

Again, nice tune as always :thumbs up:

No slate plugins, I just got some Waves stuff awhile back on a huge sale. I'm pretty sure my mic position and mic itself, as well as my mixing with headphones dilemma, are the major culprits...once I get some monitors (low on the priority list, unfortunately), I'm sure lots of that stuff will iron itself out. And yeah I'm very comfortable writing in that key and prog.

As usual, I like the song. I think the acoustic needs some type of EQ'ing as well to remove something....I'm just not sure what it is. I like the arrangement and overall mix. Do you have the lyrics posted somewhere? Unfortunately, I'm only listening over laptop speakers today but other than a couple of the acoustic guitar frequencies, the overall mix translates well and sounds good over these crappy speakers.

I'll post lyrics up in a few. Sorry, I usually do. Got lazy this time. I think I hear the freq in the guitars too...like a honky/woody/bitey sound. Midrange area. Stupid headphone mixing. :)

That's the big thing I noticed too. The rhythm guitars are very forward and tend to dominate the mix. During the first verse, when the vox have much more 'verb, it's particularly apparent.

I'm trying to figure out what's happening with the bass. It sounds like you have one in there, but it doesn't have much definition except for a few clicks on the attack. So that's primarily for a tone thing? Or should it be defined?

I think the abrupt ending is fine.

These are kinda nit-picks. It's most of the way to where I'd think it should be.

I think they're forward because of the compressor I'm using. The LA2A is pretty slow, and I think someone else mentioned that in a comment I've yet to reply to. I'll consider the 1176 instead, for guitars. I agree with you. Bass was just to round it out, nothing special. I wanted it thin in the verse, barely telling it's there, but then kicking in full-bottom-heavy tone in the chorus.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I'm still working on EQ'ing guitars, that's always been an issue for me. I mix with headphones, so that's 90% of the problem, I'm sure. I hear a slight harshness/woodiness to the guitars in the car, but once I get to my phones, it isn't there, so I'm guessing when I make some EQ cuts. Apparently it isn't the usual spots (1k, 1.5k, 2.5k), but some other midrange area, probably dependent on my room and mic position as well as mic choice.
If you don't have a good monitor set up, then I'd (at least) try adding a 2nd set of phones, or maybe some decent earbuds, like the newer ones from an iPhone as a check. And, If you're not already, check your mono mix a lot if you're going to be mixing in cans. (Utility->Gain plugin is one in Logic/GB I use, at the end of your master FX chain to toggle stereo/mono.)

Good song. The chorus is catchy. For me the acoustic guitars are holding it back. They are forward and dominating, and sound like they were recorded in a small space.

Sounds great! I really feel like it needs some atmosphere on guitar and vocals. I’m a dry kinda guy but the lack of verb is making it sound a bit thin and small some slap/delay on the vox would be great as well

As good as the guitars sound(you captured them very well), I agree with Robus that they are almost to far forward and dominating the song too much. Just my opinion though.

from an arrangement standpoint it needs a few elements. Halfway through I would build the tune with some rhythm. About 2/3 through I hear talking back fast orchestral strings, VERY DRAMATIC TALKBACK. That’s what I’m hearing

Back