The War - Pink Floyd-type Remixed 1-23

During the intro, I think the pad keyboard part is a bit loud. There is another keyboard part providing some accents that is getting covered up. But I thought the keys sounded very nice.

The bass is pretty loud and it's got a low end frequency that's a bit dominate. I'd make a notch cut somewhere between 80hz - 120hz and then lower it by 2-3 db.

The rhythm guitars sound nice.

The vocal is a bit back in the mix. I like how you go from a single to a double tracked vocal.

There is a general buildup in the 150hz - 300hz octave I think. Maybe a bit higher.

One of your best mixes and songs.

Only half listening due to work, but it sounded pretty alright. Nothing major leaped out on the first listen.

TripleM - thanks for the EQ suggestions. Something didn't feel quite right with the sound, and I think its that build-up around 200-300Hz. I usually scoop electric rhythm guitar sin this range, and combined with the keys parts, I bet its the cause, as I didn't EQ anything but vocals yet.

Last edited:
More of a production option, but when the bass comes in, you think a little more bottom below 200, to counter the Ahhs? Actually as I go through the song, seems that low bass filling out the low end.

Everything seems seems clear, vocals are clear, guitars coming through really nice, maybe tad more drums. But it seems like it is craving that low dark feel for this song.

Cool stuff, nice groove. Really nice chilling music. Oh, and I listened on the big stereo, not cans.

Really Like the vibe ,Agree with DM60 ; the drums could have a bit more punch , maybe the Vox up just a bit , Perhaps some Air to them, can't really make out the lyrics that well , Overall a very cool song. Are you related to Roger Waters ?

Before I do anything more to the bass, I'll listen on some different systems, including my 5.1 system. I've got some air on the lead vocal already, don't want it to jump out, trying to keep the 'darker' vibe. Maybe a little bump up of the low end of the main keys parts...
Thanks for the listens and comments.

Roger Waters is my uncle (yeah, I wish!)

Nice chord progression and melody. Seems to be a good song, but the current version is hard to listen to. The mix is narrow, congested, midrangy, and ultimately grating. They synth pad is a prime culprit, but really everything is stepping on everything else. Vocals are getting crowded and lyrics are unintelligible. I listened to both versions and noticed minimal improvement. EQ scooping was not the answer. What was needed was for you to make artistic choices about which elements are central and which peripheral, then turn down and pan out accordingly. And to consider the space between instruments as a compositional element in its own right.

The synthesiser pad is insanely loud. How can you not hear that it's utterly swamping everything else in this song? Halve the volume of the synth and you might be on the way to a mix. Also, spend more time on the drums - the sound, the ambience, the punch... the drums are the most important part of constructing a mix like this. You cannot hear the drums. I've been away from this forum for over a year now and I thought I'd just pop in to see whether there was any improvement. You cannot hear the drums. You can never, ever hear the drums in your mixes - it's as if they're an afterthought, like the rhythm machine on a 1970s home organ. I give up. For once, I agree with Robus.

Wondering what you are listening to, or maybe you are listening at super loud volume? The synth part (which is actually multiple parts, some only during the intro) has been knocked down in volume (even more during the verses and choruses) since the first mix. Can't hear the drums? Earlier mix comments suggested a little more drums in the mix (did that). What exactly does 'punch' mean? EQ boost somewhere?

The drums are a little bit low and flat, but it's not awful. The guitar solos are also a little loud. Organ is loud, but it's creating the atmosphere by being that loud.

Mike, I hate popping up on this forum and just giving you a load of hassle. I'd like you to Wetransfer your wav files of this song to me, let me have a go at a mix that I think sounds good and I'll send it back to you, in private.

Ok, Mike was good enough to send me his tracks and I had a go at a mix. It's fair to say that Mike and I don't see eye to eye on mixing style, but I had a go anyway. My DAW is Reaper and this was all mixed in the box with Reaper Native plugins, except for the Focusrite Red 3 compressor plugin, the Focusrite Red 2 EQ plugin during the mastering, and Soundtoys' "Little Plate" plate reverb emulation as the general ambience plugin.

I've got this out of my system now, so I won't be hassling Mike any longer.

Back