"Walked Away" (from "The Time is Magic")

pete says "aw, it's not all that bad"

petet.png

It sounds really good to me. I just dont like the stereo image of the drums, but thats just my opinions

You achieved a very good voice sound! It deffinitely fits the musical style. Wouldnt be surprised to hear that voice tone on a scorpions or motley crue recording. How did you achieve that? What equipment? Any effect?

yeah wally!
you chimed in, thanks.

the voice, is simply sung thru a large diagram mic, tube mic pre, a bit of compression, and some after EQ

then, i sing it again, and blend the two two together.

then i add 3 part harmonies.
no tricks, no effects, just real old school performance and honest mixing.

thanks again...

I can agree with wally on the drums, cymbals sound a bit too washy. I think they'd fit more if brighter, smaller crashes were used.

yeah wally!
you chimed in, thanks.

the voice, is simply sung thru a large diagram mic, tube mic pre, a bit of compression, and some after EQ

then, i sing it again, and blend the two two together.

then i add 3 part harmonies.
no tricks, no effects, just real old school performance and honest mixing.

thanks again...

That sounds really cool, very creative mixing. I am a total noob, but I think I know what sounds right and I hope I will someday have such capabilities.

What EQ did you apply to the voice?

ninja

hey, i happen to LIKE the cymbals that way!
hehe
it's just subjective....
and on any other sunday afternoon, i might pick the sabian 18" crash over the HHX Evolution crash, just cuz i'm in a rude mood.
LOL

wallystripes
the EQ i used on the voice, was either the channel strip in Sonar (it's a SONITUS 5-band paragraphic eq) or the Wave Linear Phase EQ.
typically, i'll roll off the low end around 120hz, and sweeten the high end anywhere from 2.5khz to 11khz, depends on the mic, preamp and gain settings.
sometimes i record real clean, and sometimes real dirty.

I purposely haven't read any comments, so as to not taint mine. I cannot help but think that you are Vince Neil's twin brother. The sonic resemblance of your voice is remarkable. Personally, I thought this was a great rocker. No nits on the mix. Everything seemed seated nicely. Good job! (BTW, I think Motley Crue rocks, so, in case there is any doubt, the comparison is meant as a compliment)

Thanks for sharing!

poetic
thanks for the comments!
vince neil, now THERE's a name i don't hear very often in my camp...
but that's cool, neil rocked quite appropriately for quite some time.
heheh

ecktronic
appreciate the listen and comments.....
there is very little compression on the vocals, actually.
low ratios, and just kissing the meters.
i sing very evenly. i think you are confused by the performance and mic/preamp settings, thinking that the compressor's doing all the work.
but actually, i wanted the vocals very controlled, and very smooth.
having out of control peaks on my vox, was not going to happen.
that said, those kinds of decisions are really 'producer' type decisions, based on knowing what the overall sound was giong to come off like.....
the vox ended up exactly the way i wanted them to.

the guitar setup........?
that's easier.....

3 guitars used: Ibanez Artist 2618, Custom usacg strat, Carvin DC200k, all running thru a pedal board, into a vintage mesa boogie mark2b head, into a closed back cab with celestion heritage g12, and on this particular track, all guitars are captured direct using a Palmer PDI-09 box, into a A Designs Audio MP-1 tube mic pre, dbx compression, and direct to convertors.

USACG custom strat #2
strat1lv4.jpg

Carvin DC200k
dc200close.jpg

Ibanez Artist 2618
77ibanezartistsmall.jpg

gtrrig1small.jpg

2011pedalboard.jpg

Nice set up. :)
That's impressive that you can sing so evenly, has your pre-amp got a compressor on it?

I know you don't want wild peaks in your vocals, but a tiny bit of dynamics really brings a vocal to life rather than it sitting like a synth note. No diss intended, your singing is good!

G

ecktronic

here's a link to some info on the preamp.

A Designs MP-1 Tube Mic Pre/DI

no compressors.
i hit that very clean.

well, this kind of song, requires a full-out vocal....
it's kinda full throttle the whole way.

there are tons of dynamics in the other songs on the album, but this one is kind of a hard rocker from the get-go.
there IS the breakdown part in the middle, with the soft vox.....

but when i mix a rock vocal, i want the vocal to be smooth and even, almost like another instrument, with the way it sits in the mix.
loud, clear, and even.

but again, it always boils down to providing what the particular song needs or wants.

But you can have a solid vocal that has some dynamics. A bit less compression would stop the vocal sounding over processed, and make it more believable.

I have worked on rock style music a lot and I know that the vocal can sometimes need loads of compression, but in this case it is over the top.

All the best,
G

well, i like it!

LOL

it really is one of those subjective calls, when i wear the producers hat.
it really is more of a mix element going on, than dynamics control with compression.

thanks for the comments

well, i like it!

LOL

it really is one of those subjective calls, when i wear the producers hat.
it really is more of a mix element going on, than dynamics control with compression.

thanks for the comments

Totally man, sorry for going on about it. :)

Back