"Walked Away", hard rocker with swagger

GONZO-X

https://app.box.com/s/of7um5xmgk3e8e1qpkhx

here is another song that i am trying to study to see how it translates into headphones.

this is a song off of my last album "The Time is Magic"
i'm working on a followup album now, and i'm changing some of methodology of mixing to more suit headphone translation.

for the record: i do NOT mix on headphones.
the things i'm more focused on, are phase issues, drum panning and low end translation.

any help or comments on these items are appreciated.

also on soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/walked-away

Last edited:
One cymbal and the guitar accent track jump out in the mix big time in volume. The mix is way different in mono, so I assume you have some widening or delay phase going on here with the guitar tracks. That is for you to decide in the end. Just stating what I hear.

Cool tune man! :)

hey jimmys69
i don't hear where that cymbal jumps out...
and tte guitar accent track, not sure what that refers to either.....

i don't mix for mono listening, so mono translation does not worry me...
but widening and phase issues do.

there are no plugins or any kind or trick for stereo widening.
just simple LCR mixing.
i play multiple tracks, mix them so they spread wide, and bring them in and out based on arrangements.

really just looking for translation to headphone info, really....

glad you dig the track

hey jimmys69
i don't hear where that cymbal jumps out...
and tte guitar accent track, not sure what that refers to either.....

i don't mix for mono listening, so mono translation does not worry me...
but widening and phase issues do.

there are no plugins or any kind or trick for stereo widening.
just simple LCR mixing.
i play multiple tracks, mix them so they spread wide, and bring them in and out based on arrangements.

really just looking for translation to headphone info, really....

glad you dig the track

The cymbal that sounds like a hard hit on a ride/crash (1:57 an example of many).

Mostly the left side lead guitar stands out above the vocals in volume (2:07 an example of many).

I don't mix for mono either, but listening in mono can show issues with phase. Noticed how much guitars drop out in mono, so I assumed you must have something causing that.

Don't get me wrong, I think it sounds really good as is. Just some things I noticed...

HugoRibeiro
alright hugo! thanks for following.....

jguitar_tm
appreciate the time to check it out

jimmy
maybe 'extreme' lcr isn't all that....!
LOL

Good song, but I wasn't a fan of the lead guitar going all the way to my right on the verses, I know you were trying to get it out of the way of the Lead Vox, but maybe you go try a haas effect on that - it will only "sound" like it's coming from one side. Other than that, the 70's are back, baby!

Sounds good to me on my tracking (often early mixing) headphones (Audio Technica ATH-M50). I'm a poor listener for phase issues, often takes me many listens until I catch them. That said, this mix feels balanced and the stereo field used well. The toms could come up a notch, and because of the guitar panning the drums are a little buried in the mix, but not so much you really have to do anything about it.

What do you use for a mic? I really like how your vocals came out.

What strikes me about this mix is how similar it is to my strategy. Drums spread well across the field, guitars hard panned, slight chorus effect on the vocals a few percent off center, and bass down the middle.

crazy luke
you know, that guitar just had to be there!
heheh
it's a similar song to a lot of classic rock, but with a modern feel....
thanks for listening...
maybe it works better in the monitors than the headphones, that's one of the things
i'm trying to suss out

pinky
i've got a pair of those ATH-m50's too.... and i didn't bother to check the mix with those...
think i'll do that right now!!
LOL :listeningmusic:
i think i had the drums panned across, but the snare, kick, all centered, and the overheads would have been hard panned far left and right....

so, no effects on the vocals.
i just double tracked my leads, and sometimes my voice lines up so close on itself,
it sounds chorusy.

i've since changed my method of tracking and eqing, compressing background vox so that it blends more.
that is a ADK Hamburg condenser mic, thru a A Designs Audio MP-1 tube mic pre, and a DBX compressor, straight into the soundcard.

that is a ADK Hamburg condenser mic, thru a A Designs Audio MP-1 tube mic pre, and a DBX compressor, straight into the soundcard.

That at least explains why they sound so good - money well spent!

[way out of my budget for my poor vocal needs :p ]

i think, that out of all the gear you could get, a good mic, and a good preamp, is more important than anything else.
after that, monitors

Back