Wait For The While - comment/critcisms on mix?

djd

Hi there,

It'd be great if anyone could take a listen to my bands newest recording, which was home recorded and mixed by me and our singer, and give any feedback on the song/mix.

http://myspace.com/pilotslondon

Wait For The While, it's the first track on the player

Cheers!

That is a very interesting tune. I listened a few times and was primarily struck by the fact that the singer has a very nice voice...reminds me a bit of that guy from the Smiths. I did think the voice was a bit up front or on top of the mix or something...a bit dry too, but it is certainly very clear.

It is hard to evaluate a mix coming though myspace's player and this is kind of an eclectic mix to begin with from the sounds of it. However the arrangement is very interesting despite being somewhat sparse.

The drums sound kind of dead to me - especially the snare...the kick is somewhat absent. I like the idea of the drum part, but the timing seemed off enough in places that it was distracting (like 2:00 - 2:04). They are really busy in places, which I don't mind, but they need to be tighter I think for this to work better.

I think the outro sounds a bit cluttered...I like all of the elements, but would prefer that some be pushed back a bit in favor of highlighting just a couple of the things you have going on here.

Anyway, don't take my word on any of this as I am by no means an expert, but those are my thoughts. I like the song - very creative :).

I'll be short; (only listened to one song) "Wait For The While"

I love the song (very 80s new wave)

Singing is great. I didn't think it was too loud...and with a voice/style like that, you want it out front.

Loved the keys! Drums & bass were grooving.

Guitar sound/tone sucked. Very hard to listen to.

Change the guitar sound (get a better amp/guitar/guitar player)

My 2¢ :cool: Cheers!

Good job....good mix and well performed...

Id say the vocals were too dry for me and the guitar tone wasn't that great...in fact it seemed to sit out of the mix on it's own a little..the drums needed more sparkle, maybe better EQing on the snare (hard to tell with My space)

but apart from that you've got talent for sure :)

thanks a lot for the comments! i'd pretty much agree with everything that's been said, i'm still not happy with drum sound, but we found it really difficult to mix it in nicely without just piling on reverb, which we tried to avoid. and yeah the timing is definitely an issue in that bit...:(

the guitar is D.I'd in and the tone comes from logic 8's guitar amp sim - not the best way to achieve a good tone!

glad you guys like the song!

Back