voodoo child (slight return) just for fun

It started a little rough, but ended up being pretty good. The vocals are awesome. Only thing is on the Voodoo child parts the vocals seem to hold back instead of really pushing the high note and screaming out lord knows I'm a voodoo child lol. I don't know if that makes sense. Anyways :thumbs up:

It started a little rough, but ended up being pretty good. The vocals are awesome. Only thing is on the Voodoo child parts the vocals seem to hold back instead of really pushing the high note and screaming out lord knows I'm a voodoo child lol. I don't know if that makes sense. Anyways :thumbs up:
it makes perfect sense man. Thanks for lending your ear and I'll belt it a little harder on that part next time .

I agree, man. I think he was and is miles ahead of any other guitar player when it comes to creativity and awesomeness. He never really played fast, though. Too many people think of him as a "blower", but there are very few solos where he's really ripping. Off the top of my head, maybe in the studio version of "Red House" and a small handful of others. To me, his playing is all about tastefulness ands weirdness. You did a great job on this.
Yeah I agree. He could rip, like he did after "purple haze' on his famous Woodstock set. But to me that wasn't where his greatness was defined. His vision of taking the electric guitar to another whole level...uncharted waters was a big part of his greatness.
mastering the control and manipulation of feedback that was before him an electric guitarists nightmare was a big part of his greatness. His sense of style and coolness was rivaled only by the Beatles IMO. His talent in composition, arrangement, and execution of a song was amazing.
I mean, let's get real. ..how many guitarists can compose, arrange, and perform something at the level of "little Wing"?
Few and far between.
You know...the guy was so far ahead of his time that the Beatles, Eric Clapton, Pete Townsend, and the stones were going to his shows and hanging on every note he played.
The who's who of rock were the beginnings of his blossoming fan base to start with.
it's undeniable greatness that sadly can't be repeated again.

yep ...... the best ever to me
a couple of my favs are
1. Axis: Bold As Love ........
I had a guitarist in the audience last week come up and say "I was playing some very interesting things on rhythm" .....
I'm tellin' ya' ..... my ENTIRE concept of rhthym comes from Bold As Love ...... I don't care if it's a country song ....... I'm still doing all that movement and I got it directly from this song

2. On Voodoo Chile (coincidentally) where he sings "Well my arrows are made of desire ..... from far away as Jupiter sulfur mines" ...... he makes this sound where you can hear the bow being drawn back and then then arrow zinging thru the air a 'boi-n-n-n-n-n-n-g' when it hits the target. That just kills me every time.

Yeah, that arrow sound is really cool. One of my favorites is kind of obscure...in the movie rainbow bridge during the concert segment he wipes his brow and takes a deep breath and then exhales, like he is winded, and he's making the distortion coming out of that Marshall stack sound like it's breathing.
Who else would even think up something like that much less perfect it?
It was just so cool!

Even though I was a drummer first, I've always been a wanna be guitar player. I used to air guitar for hours, pretending I was on stage, as a kid. I never air-drummed. :D

One thing I always loved about Jimi's playing was that his rythm playing was always sort of lead playing at the same time. Those little hammer-offs and slides while playing chords are so cool.

Not to derail your thread, Jimi, but are you guys familiar with Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush? They're from my home town, so I don't know how big he really was in the states. I know he's big in some states, but probably not all over the U.S.

Last edited:
Even though I was a drummer first, I've always been a wanna be guitar player. I used to air guitar for hours, pretending I was on stage, as a kid. I never air-drummed. :D

One thing I always loved about Jimi's playing was that his rythm playing was always sort of lead playing at the same time. Those little hammer-offs and slides while playing chords are so cool.

Not to derail your thread, Jimi, but are you guys familiar with Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush? They're from my home town, so I don't know how big he really was in the states. I know he's big in some states, but probably not all over the U.S.

Hey Rami, like I said from the get go this thread is just for fun.

Yeah, I love frank Marino and mahogany rush. He used to do some real good hendrix covers and their version of the doors "roadhouse blues" is just killer.

I remember Frank. What about Pat Travers? He's another Canadian that could play. Check out his version of :guitar:Statesboro Blues!

I remember Frank. What about Pat Travers? He's another Canadian that could play. Check out his version of :guitar:Statesboro Blues!

Yeah, Travers is good, too, though I really only knew a few of his tunes. I think Frank Marino would have gone down as one of the greatest guitar players of all time if he wasn't Canadian. I think he's as good as anyone ever, along with Jimi and Johny Winter.

Yeah, Travers is good, too, though I really only knew a few of his tunes. I think Frank Marino would have gone down as one of the greatest guitar players of all time if he wasn't Canadian. I think he's as good as anyone ever, along with Jimi and Johny Winter.
Whatever happened to him(Frank)?

Whatever happened to him(Frank)?
He's still around. He plays clubs around Montreal one in a while, not sure if he still pus out albums, but I have every Mahogany Rush album until "World Anthem". He actually had a sports talk show here for a while.

He probably got tired of having only guys show up to his gigs and his bass player in satin.

See, the difference between American and Canadian musicians is basically this: the Americans aren't embarassed by putting on a show. It's political in its dynamic. Canadians don't know how to tell the guys in their band what to do. As for the Canadians that figure this out, they move to the States. Simple.

See, the difference between American and Canadian musicians is basically this: the Americans aren't embarassed by putting on a show. It's political in its dynamic. Canadians don't know how to tell the guys in their band what to do. As for the Canadians that figure this out, they move to the States. Simple.
That could be the stupidest thing I've ever read.

Besides the fact that Xplosive was asking what happened to Frank Marino, not Pat Travers.

That could be the stupidest thing I've ever read.

Now don't get all tender on me. Generalizations tend to be gross misrepresentations, but sometimes broad brush strokes paint the picture right. Americans have showmanship than Canadians only dream about. Canadians are embarassed by that shit. Americans think it means they've won. It's that whole alpha thing.

Now don't get all tender on me. Generalizations tend to be gross misrepresentations, but sometimes broad brush strokes paint the picture right. Americans have showmanship than Canadians only dream about. Canadians are embarassed by that shit. Americans think it means they've won. It's that whole alpha thing.
Sorry. I take back what I said about your other post. THIS is the stupidest post I've read. Are you going for the record?

You can't teach this kind of stupid. It's a gift.

(The MP3 Clinic is not the place for this, which is why I'm trying to not hijack Jimi's thread with long answers to this drivel.)

Last edited:
Back