Villa Wafer

Decent overall mix. Some very good playing.

It's a real narrow mix.

The guitar tone was nice except for the strange reverb. If you just dryed it up a little bit, it might be fine.

Good bass sound.

Does have that Jimi thing happening. the reverb or something has sent the guitar to sit behind the drums.
Cool tones and mix otherwise.

the reverb or something has sent the guitar to sit behind the drums.

yeah that's what i noticed too. drums have taken the front. pull the verb back a bit. great playing on the gee-tar. some timing stuff on drums, but i read your comment. so is this note for note or some parts improvised?

I'd say you are doing quite well as a beginner behind the kit! I am starting to learn now myself. It is challenging to develop good timing. I'm all over the place. You are doing a great job of it. Keep it up!

Lots of really tasty guitar licks in here. I really like the way you play. Nothing to add to the mix comments that hasn't been shared at this point.

Similar issue to that really fast one you posted in the new tone thread, mate. Your ride/hat hand can't quite keep up with the tempo of the song. Your kick and snare is normally on point though.

I see what people are saying about where the drums are sitting, on the intro lick I thought someone had thrown you down a well. Sounds really cool though and your playing is really good, good tones all around. You kick is a bit anonymous though.

Was the guitar reverb added in the DAW there while you were tracking?

Decent overall mix. Some very good playing.

It's a real narrow mix.

The guitar tone was nice except for the strange reverb. If you just dryed it up a little bit, it might be fine.

Good bass sound.
Thanks H.
I wish I could get a wider mix on my recordings.

Does have that Jimi thing happening. the reverb or something has sent the guitar to sit behind the drums.
Cool tones and mix otherwise.
thanks ray.
I will revisit this mix and see if I can bring the guitar up front more.

yeah that's what i noticed too. drums have taken the front. pull the verb back a bit. great playing on the gee-tar. some timing stuff on drums, but i read your comment. so is this note for note or some parts improvised?
Thanks.
Some of it is note for note and some of it is improvised. The original was played at Woodstock and the volume was so high the bass and drums were barely audible...plus there was more distortion and the univibe effect dominated the sound. So, this one is a more balanced sound as far as bass, drums, and Rythym guitar.

I'd say you are doing quite well as a beginner behind the kit! I am starting to learn now myself. It is challenging to develop good timing. I'm all over the place. You are doing a great job of it. Keep it up!

Lots of really tasty guitar licks in here. I really like the way you play. Nothing to add to the mix comments that hasn't been shared at this point.

Thanks for the boat of confidence on the drums. I'm having a blast learning to play drums.

Similar issue to that really fast one you posted in the new tone thread, mate. Your ride/hat hand can't quite keep up with the tempo of the song. Your kick and snare is normally on point though.

I see what people are saying about where the drums are sitting, on the intro lick I thought someone had thrown you down a well. Sounds really cool though and your playing is really good, good tones all around. You kick is a bit anonymous though.

Was the guitar reverb added in the DAW there while you were tracking?
Thanks JDOD.
I'm not sure whether the lead guitar was recorded as is or whether I put some reverb on it after the fact with the DAW. I think one thing that added to the drums being in front of the guitar is my panning of the lead guitar off center...I'm gonna check it out.

You've got good feel and that's important. I feel like the guitars could be panned a bit to make more independent space for each other.

Bass drum sounds kinda - what's the opposite of lively? I guess kinda thuddy.

The tone of the cymbals and snare are cool IMO. No wash going on there for me.

I'm guessing you recorded the drums after the guitars? That can be quite tricky. Maybe try recording the drums first and concentrate on just maintaining time (maybe play to a click) then record the guitars over the top

I know the original, you've captured the song well, but the guitar sounds in a different place then the drums and bass due the reverb or EQ on it.

You've got good feel and that's important. I feel like the guitars could be panned a bit to make more independent space for each other.

Bass drum sounds kinda - what's the opposite of lively? I guess kinda thuddy.

The tone of the cymbals and snare are cool IMO. No wash going on there for me.
Thanks IBB. Kick drum is tough to get a good sound....for me anyway. I'll work on it
I'm guessing you recorded the drums after the guitars? That can be quite tricky. Maybe try recording the drums first and concentrate on just maintaining time (maybe play to a click) then record the guitars over the top
Yeah, I've recorded the drum part a couple of times since I recorded bass and guitar.
I know the original, you've captured the song well, but the guitar sounds in a different place then the drums and bass due the reverb or EQ on it.
thanks man, I am going to tweak this a bit and see if I can get a better sense of unity and soundstage in this mix

Sounds pretty good Jimi. I'm with the others on the guitar sounding a bit back in the mix, but it isn't a big deal. I did notice some timing issues on the drums, but I understand that you are learning.

that's better, yeah. sounds like a live performance to me. like I walked into a bar and the band is jamming it out toward the back.

It sounds better, though now the guitar is a bit too forward for me... ;) Split the difference?

Hi Jimi, yeah I agree with Robus - split the difference between the guitar levels on the two mixes! The remix is good, but I think has the guitar a touch high.

Sounds are very cool throughout and though you might still be learning on the drums, I think you got a real nice tone with them. The have a real vintage feel to them which I like a lot. I don't know the original, but nice jam man :)

Back