Videogame Track need FEEDBACK

ROCKYIV

Hi, first time on the forums. I need to know what you guys think of this track:

https://soundcloud.com/michael-chait-music/heart-vs-the-b-dss-knight-1

Particularly, is it too harsh? It is a game so the player will have to hear the track many many times. I used a high shelf on the master track which I never do, but I was testing it against a commercial track and it needed to be brighter.

But now it feels like it is hurting my ears a little. Am I over reacting? Maybe I've been listening too much to it, I'm not sure. Please be nice and constructive :)

Please any feedback is appreciated. Just about the track in general, I'd really like to hear your thoughts and how I can improve.

Composition is good. The mix at the beginning is a bit loud and muddy and actually needs to be a little brighter. It is not overly bright through the rest of the song, perhaps just a tad if I had to hear it 100 times. For the most part, it sounds like a game track for a kid's game. Needs some pump, though. Bottom is pretty normal throughout. Don't these games usually thump the V or X ROCKER pretty hard? Some boost in the 70Hz and under might not hurt if strategically placed...

It would be fine in a racing game or a really fast paced sidescroller. If the game is more Mario paced it would be annoying.

As game music, it does what it needs to do.

Reminds me of the games the kids used to play on the trusty Amiga.

First things first... the name ROCKYIV is awesome. Kudos to you on that.

I haven't played a video game in a few years, but this does sound like appropriate music for a boss fight in some types of games. I only listened to it once, but my ears feel fine.

It really depends on the type of game. It reminds me of Japanese style games like Sonic the Hedgehog if that is what you're after.

Most of the instruments have a fat Moog synth sound. I would like some DX7 synth sounds, which are clearer and more "crystal", and might help you sort out your top end. On the other hand, if sharp sounds are going to be used for collecting coins or whatever it might be better not to compete with them.

It would be great to see a youtube of some game footage with your backing track.

Back