Vesuvius - surf punk Nerd Rock by SavantSyndrome - complete mix

Bubba po

Tiny Stonehenge Moment
View attachment Vesuvius.mp3

SavantSyndrome is a loose collaboration of musicians including Myself, my son, my wife, Armistice and Adam Fiasco.

Concepts, production, lyrics and mixing are mine.

Guitars and vocals: Bubba po
Drums: Frank po
Extra guitars and main vocal: Armistice
Manda po: Vocals
Adam Fiasco: Keyboards

Lyrics:

Vesuvius

Mount Vesuvius is a Stratovolcano –
perhaps the most famous volcano in the world
In 79 C.E. it erupted catastrophically,
destroying several Roman towns and settlements nearby
Pliny the younger left an eyewitness account,
which is why this type of volcanism bears his name
In terms of destructive power, and threat to human life,
It is one of the most deadly of all geological phenomena.

Convergent plate boundaries or subduction zones
Are where these entities are commonly found
Stratovolcanoes have a distinct conical form
built up from many strata over time
Hardened lava, tephra, and volcanic ash.
Ignimbrites, pumice and obsidian
Rhyolite, andesite and volcanic bombs
Dacite, Trachyte and Lahars

(Quiet bit)

A pyroclastic flow is a seething mixture of solid and partially molten rock fragments
and scalding gases that cascades down the slopes of this volcanic cone.
These terrifying features are heavier-than-air emulsions
that move much like a snow avalanche.
As the torrent of destruction accelerates downhill
It ingests and heats the surrounding air
Which then expands and adds to the effect
The flow can reach 100 miles per hour.

The extraordinary velocity of a pyroclastic flow
is partly attributed to fluidization.
Exsolving gases keep the ash in constant suspension
So larger fragments can float in the matrix.
They are fiercely hot, and toxic to breathe in
they race at phenomenal, hurricane-force speeds.
The people of Pompeii and Herculaneum
Were dead before they had time to respond

As usual, comments appreciated. :)

Last edited:
.... and in this version, Armistice goes full "Crocodile Dundee/ Monty Python "Bruces" sketch" on its ass. :D

(NSFW, recommended listen. :D ) View attachment Brucuvious.mp3

Lyrics:

Mount Vesuvius is a stratovolcano – perhaps the most famous volcano in the world
In 79 C.E. it went off like a frog in a sock, destroying several Roman towns and settlements nearby
Pliny the Younger (what sort of stupid dago name is that?) left an eyewitness account, which is why this type of volcanism bears his name
In terms of destructive power and threat to human life, this is one of the most deadly of all geological phenomena.

Deadlier than a cave full of funnelwebs

Convergent plate boundaries or subduction zones are where these entities are commonly found
(Me and the missus call the bedroom the subduction zone)
Stratovolcanoes have a distinct conical form, like a ginormous bloody anthill built up from many strata over time
Hardened lava, tephra, and volcanic ash,
ignimbrites, pumice and ob...sidian?
Rhyolite, andesite and volcanic bombs,
dacite, trachyte and lahars – or, as everyone else calls it. Rock!
F-ing geologists.

I’ll shut up for a bit so you can all appreciate Frank’s stick work. The kid’s an effin’ genius.

Nice.

Rockin' hugely there bubba!

A pyroclastic flow is a seething mixture of solid and partially molten rock fragments and scalding gases that cascades down the slopes of this volcanic cone like the froth from a tinny given to ya by a bloke with the DTs
These terrifying features are heavier-than-air emulsions that move much like a snow avalanche –
(only snow we see round here is on the back of Blue’s collar)
As the torrent of destruction rattles downhill, it ingests and heats the surrounding air, which then expands and adds to the effect
The flow can reach a hundred and sixty clicks – that’s faster than a toey teenager rippin’ down the Hume in his dad’s Monaro off to see his girlfriend in Melbourne

The extraordinary velocity of a pyroclastic flow is partly attributed to fluidisation –
I could use some fluidisation! Your shout ya stingy bastard - aaaargh, you wouldn't shout if a shark bit ya!
Exsolving gases keep the ash in constant suspension so larger fragments can float in the matrix. (Top film The Matrix. Had that bloke Canoe Reeves in it. Yeah)…
They are fiercely hot, and toxic to breathe in. They race at phenomenal, hurricane-force speeds endin’ up all over the joint like a mad woman’s breakfast
The people of Pompeii and Herculaneum (the poor italian bastards) were as dead as Jesus before they had time to respond.

The end.

Ripper tune, Boris!

Last edited:
It's very well done, and I enjoyed Armistice's Crocodile Dundee version especially.

I must admit, I'm a bit mystified by the spoken word thing. Is this a genre that I've missed noticing?

Edit: On the straight version, you might look at the level balance between the vocal and the background. Voice seemed a little low in places, but I'm not sure the conventions of this genre. For example, the line "toxic to breath in." That instrumental breakdown in the middle is very good.

I must admit, I'm a bit mystified by the spoken word thing. Is this a genre that I've missed noticing?

The HR MP3 Clinic is the Cavern Club of the new era. You'll be able to tell your grandchildren you were there just at the moment SavantSyndrome created the new genre that swept the world. Of course, no-one will believe you, just like no-one believes anyone who says they were there at the Beatles' first gig... But you'll know it's true. ;)

Sounds great guys. I can't comment on it, there's nothin my plebby ears can spot.

Just listened to version 2. Excellent!

It's very well done, and I enjoyed Armistice's Crocodile Dundee version especially.

Edit: On the straight version, you might look at the level balance between the vocal and the background. Voice seemed a little low in places, but I'm not sure the conventions of this genre. For example, the line "toxic to breath in." That instrumental breakdown in the middle is very good.

Thanks, Robus. It's not so much a genre, but I've always liked spoken word stuff. I liked "Sunscreen" when it was out, I like Radiohead's "Fitter, Happier", Magazine's "The Book" and a few others. my main influence with this style at the moment is Public Service Broadcasting. They're a fantastic British duo. Check them out. :D

You should really have got me to fact check you before you completed the song though, mate!

Oh, no - what have you picked up on? :o

Its where you get into the mineralogy of the formations:

"Ignimbrites, pumice and obsidian
Dacite, Trachyte and Lahars"

There you're predominantly listing off different igneous rocks types common in volcanic environments.

However, you also mention Lahars and Volcanic bombs; these are modes of deposition, not soil/rock types themselves.

Take Lahar, this is actually named after town (think its in indonesia) that was pretty much washed away. A lahar is a big mud-flow that just runs down the side of the mountain and washes villages away. So, Lahar isn't actually a soil/rock type created by a volcanic event.

Same with Volcanic bombs - these are just hot lumps of rock that go flying through the air! They could be of any mineralogy.

Its where you get into the mineralogy of the formations:

"Ignimbrites, pumice and obsidian
Dacite, Trachyte and Lahars"

There you're predominantly listing off different igneous rocks types common in volcanic environments.

However, you also mention Lahars and Volcanic bombs; these are modes of deposition, not soil/rock types themselves.

Take Lahar, this is actually named after town (think its in indonesia) that was pretty much washed away. A lahar is a big mud-flow that just runs down the side of the mountain and washes villages away. So, Lahar isn't actually a soil/rock type created by a volcanic event.

Same with Volcanic bombs - these are just hot lumps of rock that go flying through the air! They could be of any mineralogy.

Ha ha! Well, it's meant to be a list of the rock types and recognisable depositional enviroments found in the strata of a composite volcano. Lahars are definitely a secondary depositional event brought about by saturation of volcanic ash, if not directly volcanic in themselves. And the flows can be triggered by volcanic tremors.

Ha ha! Well, it's meant to be a list of the rock types and recognisable depositional enviroments found in the strata of a composite volcano. Lahars are definitely a secondary depositional event brought about by saturation of volcanic ash, if not directly volcanic in themselves. And the flows can be triggered by volcanic tremors.

Despite a "mud-flow" not seeming that dramatic in comparison to a plinean eruption and a pyroclastic flow, Lahars are generally the most destructive from a loss of life point of view as they tend to follow river valleys... where people live. I take it you looked up the Almero disaster in Nervado del Ruiz?

Despite a "mud-flow" not seeming that dramatic in comparison to a plinean eruption and a pyroclastic flow, Lahars are generally the most destructive from a loss of life point of view as they tend to follow river valleys... where people live. I take it you looked up the Almero disaster in Nervado del Ruiz?

No, I haven't I'll check it out, but I vaguely remember we did cover this kind of thing back in 1996! :D

No, I haven't I'll check it out, but I vaguely remember we did cover this kind of thing back in 1996! :D

Some pictures of the effects of the lahar here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armero_tragedy

Nasty:

"The day after the eruption, relief workers were appalled at its impact. The lahars had left behind a gray mass which covered the entire town. Armero was dotted with broken trees and horribly disfigured human bodies. Debris from huts and homes protruded from beneath the gray mud. A few bags filled with crops were discovered in the mud. Workers described an acrid smell of rotting bodies, wood smoke and decaying vegetables"

I'm just going to bump this because I don't think enough of you have listened to me say "rhyolite" just yet... :(

The instrument tracks still sound as good as when I heard them in the earlier mix.

I think the guitar is covering the vocal just a bit. Not bad, but a little bit. It might be as simple as raising the vocal or lowering the guitar by a db. Alternatively you might be able to notch out the guitar somewhere in the 2K's. You might also want to compress the vocal just a bit harder.

But all in all, it still sounds good.

Like the pick scrapes. I'm a sucker for that.

Thanks, Robus. It's not so much a genre, but I've always liked spoken word stuff. I liked "Sunscreen" when it was out, I like Radiohead's "Fitter, Happier", Magazine's "The Book" and a few others. my main influence with this style at the moment is Public Service Broadcasting. They're a fantastic British duo. Check them out. :D

You seen this festival coming up Bubba: Bluedot Festival

PSB playing on the friday - in front of the Lovell telescope sounds fucking cool! We're going on the sunday I think, though there are bands on all the days I'd kill to see.

The Gift by Velvet Underground is another spoken word classic for me. Great story and crazy mix. All the vocals are in the left speaker and all the instrumentation in the right. You can make it an instrumental or acapella with a flick of the balance knob!

Anyway, love your tune here. Excellent collab and tons of cool stuff poping up throughout - particularly the breakdown section & where the BVs come in under everything. Only thing for me is that it would be cool to mess about with the vocal processing a bit - a telephone effect or reverb effect maybe? Something like that, don't know if you played about with that idea at all?

You seen this festival coming up Bubba: Bluedot Festival

PSB playing on the friday - in front of the Lovell telescope sounds fucking cool! We're going on the sunday I think, though there are bands on all the days I'd kill to see.

The Gift by Velvet Underground is another spoken word classic for me. Great story and crazy mix. All the vocals are in the left speaker and all the instrumentation in the right. You can make it an instrumental or acapella with a flick of the balance knob!

Anyway, love your tune here. Excellent collab and tons of cool stuff poping up throughout - particularly the breakdown section & where the BVs come in under everything. Only thing for me is that it would be cool to mess about with the vocal processing a bit - a telephone effect or reverb effect maybe? Something like that, don't know if you played about with that idea at all?

Ta very much, Rob. I definitely intended the vocals to have a vaguely "dehumanized" or "Android" feel when I envisaged this track, but I like the subtly pitched-down sound of Armi's voice so much that that idea kind of went on the back burner. I like collabs, I think you and me could probably have a productive one. You seem to have been a bit quiet, lately? :)

I saw PSB with my kid last month at Leeds Uni - an excellent show!

Last edited:
Back