Valentines Day - new mix 2-28-18

12-string is sitting better.

Thanks, my notes when listening in my car yesterday: side stick volume needs to come down, couldn't hear the 12-string - so maybe its sitting better! New car, getting used to the sound in it, not as 'neutral' as my old truck was.

Very clean sound, well-written. I like the piano bass note reasserted in the chorus. I think the drums sound very clear--how did you effect this part? There is some out-of-pitch in a few very focal places. When the pitch is chaning, as at 1:44 (loves) this can work. Contrast 0:46; consider the word "years." If doubled, slight movement of one of the parts with respect to each other could give a different effect--or pitch correction, as it is this one specific spot. I particularly like the use of the flute voice and addition of pizz. strings at the end.

I Think this song and the Floyd-style song you posted fits your voice a lot better than the rockier songs you post. I like it good job

Thanks for the listens and comments. What I'm trying now is boosting the vocal EQ in the 600-1K range (it has been cut a little ) to give the vocal a little more 'meat'.

Are you from MA?

I'd add a little more crack to the snare stick -- and maybe some reverb to put it in a slightly different space. It will stand out a little more -- adjust level to blend in appropriately.

... and maybe nudge the OHs ever so slightly? Cymbals could come forward ever so slightly.

Nice job on the harmonies. Git and piano blend well also.

Really close to done on this -- very minor adjustment only.

Are you from MA?

I'd add a little more crack to the snare stick -- and maybe some reverb to put it in a slightly different space. It will stand out a little more -- adjust level to blend in appropriately.

... and maybe nudge the OHs ever so slightly? Cymbals could come forward ever so slightly.

Nice job on the harmonies. Git and piano blend well also.

Really close to done on this -- very minor adjustment only.

Yes, live on the MA/NH border. Why?
Hey, stay off the crack, man! ;-) - I don't want to add more volume to the sidestick, actually took a little bit off on the latest mix (not posted), and there's a fair amount of reverb on that already, probably not coming through overall, though.
I've got a little high shelf roll off above 14K on the kit, not that I can hear that high, but it seemed to take a little of the too-much-high-end off the cymbals.

Thanks for the listen.

Yes, live on the MA/NH border. Why?
Hey, stay off the crack, man! ;-) - I don't want to add more volume to the sidestick, actually took a little bit off on the latest mix (not posted), and there's a fair amount of reverb on that already, probably not coming through overall, though.
I've got a little high shelf roll off above 14K on the kit, not that I can hear that high, but it seemed to take a little of the too-much-high-end off the cymbals.

Thanks for the listen.

I happen to know where Lowell St. is. :D Back when I was a manufacturers rep for pro audio, I used to call on Daddy's Junky up there.

It's not the level -- it's the tone I seek. It should have more snap to it -- and I'd have the snap ring a bit w/ the reverb. I'm a fan of multiple reverb on things ... but that can get a little tricky.

Do you know how to layer reverb?

If not, Google "Layering Reverb" -- as it is an excellent trick to know. There's some good videos and articles on it.

Thanks, I'll try that an automate the snare track to just send to another reverb during the sidestick hits.

BTW, there are 'Lowell Street's in every town in this area!

Thanks, I'll try that an automate the snare track to just send to another reverb during the sidestick hits.

BTW, there are 'Lowell Street's in every town in this area!

Oh ... I know. As an on the road salesperson, I've driven most of them. :D

I appreciate all the listens and suggestions. Tweak a little here, tweak a little there. This is one of 13 songs I've already got tracked for my next album. SOme songs are simple acoustic songs, some are like this 'middle of the road', and some are more rock-y. Those are the ones I've got to tackle next, but having many ears on this one has helped me learn my monitors better (and new car sound), also doing a lot more EQ adjustments on tracks than I ever did before.

Newest mix sounds just about right:

Valentines Day 2-27-18 by MikeBirch | Mike Birch | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Back