Valentines Day - new mix 2-28-18

mjbphotos

Last edited:
Sounds nice. Acoustic sounds good. Sounds like the voice is on the edge of it's range occasionally-is there any lead vocal doubling? I can't tell if i'm hearing it or want to hear it. I think the drums could come up a touch or some high end sheen to bring out the snare and cymbals a bit. Is that a real flute? It's a good sound for the part and fits the tune well. I think the mix could probably be improved but it is certainly not hindering your song coming across. Nice work!

Sounds like a lot of frequency overlap in the acoustics and piano, especially right at the start, so I'd try to lighten things up there, maybe a less of a pounding attack on the keys. And that overlap includes the vocals too. (Really, I'm not sure you need the guitars *and* piano together as much as I hear them.)

I like the vocals (doubled it sounds).

Thanks, did a little EQ on the piano (and automated the attack on the piano chords in the beginning, and bumped up the 2K-3K range on the drums, helped it all.

Seems pretty cogent.

The few things that stick out to me are that the vocals are straining a bit, and the bright acoustic lead on the far left isn't balanced out with anything on the right. Something similar on the opposite side would probably do a lot to brighten the mix overall.

the bright acoustic lead on the far left isn't balanced out with anything on the right.

There's no acoustic lead part at all, do you mean the flute part? It's panned at about 7% I think, somewhat balanced by the piano, which is about 10% right.

Thanks for the listens.

Listening to the latest version I assume.

Acoustic sounds nice, nice vocal harmonies. Nice flute sounds and melody. I thought the piano was a nice element, not too over the top, but added nice tone and depth.

What kind of acoustic and how did you mic it?

I can hear the nice compression on the snare, I actually think the snare could come up a little at times. It seems the rim shots actually feel a little louder.

These are all minor nits as I feel this sounds pretty good overall. I'd look at taking off a db or two of 4k-ish from the full mix on the master bus, a taste thing, but worth experimenting.

Nice writing and arranging.

Thanks.
6 string is my Taylor 310ce, single LDC about 9" in front of fret 12. Lots of bass traps in the room to absorb reflections. I use the same method for recording any of my acoustic instruments, although with my 12 string, I'll get the mic a little closer to the sound hole because it doesn't have a lot of body. I've occasionally double-miked a guitar with a mic on the lower bout, but not sure it really adds much low end that is usable (or needed).

The acoustic guitar has a low end rumble. High pass it at 80hz or so and I imagine that would go away. There is a little 1Khz honk to it that could be notched out. Very good definition on it.

Vocal has great clarity. A minor pitch problem, but I imagine you could punch those out.

Love when it kicks in at :51.

I like the bass sound.

Good lord Mike, how your work reminds me of the old Floyd and London music in general circa 1967 - Bowie and everyone else. I have so much trouble not thinking that you're some famous guy releasing lovely stuff that we haven't heard before that I can't even begin critique your music. Love this song.

Thanks for sharing,
Timbo

TripleM - 80Hz? Not sure why there would be any rumble from an acoustic below that, specially on a Taylor. Wondering if you are hearing something else.

Timbo, try and critique, please! (thanks)

TripleM - 80Hz? Not sure why there would be any rumble from an acoustic below that, specially on a Taylor. Wondering if you are hearing something else.

What I heard was in the intro with only the guitar playing. It was definitely on the guitar and it was definitely low end. Right at the beginning of chord strikes. It might be a little higher than 80hz, but it's definitely there.

There's no acoustic lead part at all, do you mean the flute part? It's panned at about 7% I think, somewhat balanced by the piano, which is about 10% right.

Thanks for the listens.

Maybe it's not a lead, but it's definitely some kind of stringed instrument. It's very bright.

Maybe it's not a lead, but it's definitely some kind of stringed instrument. It's very bright.

I'm lost on what you're hearing, is it at a specific point/time you are hearing this? The flute first appears at 1:25 and again at 3:08, and there is a guitar part (picked rhythm part) that plays the same notes behind the flute.

It's the picked rhythm that comes in at 0:51

Thanks, now I know what part you mean. It's a 12 string, hence the 'brightness'. I moved it in towards the center (it was about 57% left).

What I heard was in the intro with only the guitar playing. It was definitely on the guitar and it was definitely low end. Right at the beginning of chord strikes. It might be a little higher than 80hz, but it's definitely there.

Thanks, I didn't have any EQ on that guitar part, so put a hi-pass in, interesting to see on a spectrum analysis how a low 'bloom' at 60-80 Hz happens.

Appreciate the ears on this. Of course, I'm not sure anyone but the best ears would hear any of this!

Back