"Used To" original - feedback on mix?

I'm not on my monitors, but on the computer the mix sounds good.
Sounds like Neil Young.

Nice song. Sounds good on my computer too. The lead break seemed not to sit right in the mix - maybe use a little less distortion for a cleaner pickup sound. The rest seems well balanced.

The lead guitar sound I'm thinking of is like David Crosby's on Almost Cut My Hair - - Check the 2:25 mark

H E R E

Last edited:
Thanks for the inputs guys. Yes, I think I'll tinker with a cleaner amp sim setting for the lap slide...the overdrive on the lead feels harsh. Much appreciated on the suggestions.

Regards
Buckeyeslide

I like the tremelo on the guitar. Mix sounds well balanced. I think the kick could use some more body, to balance out the attack and blend better with the toms

Yeah, this is pretty good. If I weren't listening critically, I probably wouldn't notice anything (except for maybe some panning since if I'm listening uncritically I often only have one headphone on)

The high-hat's a bit loud, and the overall brightness of the drums make them sound canned.
Probably bring the lead up during the solo. It's a good place for the back-and-forth in the verse afterwards tho.

These lyrics are very... Lovecraftian, I'm gonna say. He's a bit east coast for Americana, isn't he? :D

Cool song, and good performances overall. I agree that the kick could use some more body; it's mostly click right now, which doesn't seem to suit the style very well. The drums in general seem to be lacking bottom end.

One other thing is that the instruments all seem to sound as if they're in their own environment and not in the same room. (I know they aren't, but we try to make them sound as if they are.) For example, the acoustic sounds as if it's in a small-ish bedroom, then the electric sounds like a close mic in a guitar room with some amp verb, and the drums sound like another room.

The vocals were nicely done; I can definitely hear the Neil vibe for sure.

The weakest link of all for me was the solo. The tone didn't bother me as much as it did others; to me it was the intonation. There were quite a few pitchy moments on the slide. The vibrato was nice, though.

Anyway, overall it was a nice listen. Thanks for sharing.

I thought it was a nice song. I also liked the tremelo guitar on the right.

The bass tone was nice and it had a nice consistent level. The part was a little pedestrian.

The acoustic guitar was a little bit cloudy, but not bad. A little notch cut somewhere around 600hz or so might clear it up a bit.

The biggest thing that stuck out to me was the tone of the vocal. The singer has a nice voice. Resonant and powerful. But there is some rather nasty harshness in it. Might be the mic or the mic positioning in combination with the natural sound. But there is some 2500hz (or thereabouts) stuff that's pretty harsh sounding.

THe drum pattern was OK, but it didn't seem to support the song perfectly.

I like the song too, though there's a slight monotony to it - can't put my finger on it. Maybe lack of dynamic range and the drums do sound a bit canned. Maybe consider some arrangement where you have a break in the song kind of like the end, and was there a tiny bit of harp there somewhere? Do some automation to bring the background to life a bit more.

Overall the mix was pretty good - I can't nitpick your placements or levels, really. It might glue together better with some quantization or perhaps rethinking your reverb usage - not more compression though. I'd like to hear another!

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! These are some super tips and I will explore how to incorporate. Regarding reverb...I agree this mix seems to lack that unifying glue (in the same room type feeling). Ironically I used a convolution room reverb on a buss and thought I did all the right things. It's not for lack of send levels; some of those are nearly pegged. I can't seem to get a good sense of depth in these individual tracks...will tinker.

Thanks again!
Buckeyeslide

I like the song. Mix sounds a little high endy in general. Looks like everything has been mentioned-i thought the drums sounded too much like a metal kit. The harmonica threw me, a bit shrill sounding. Balance overall sounds good on my desktop 5.1 system, just kind of thin. I would try and add some bottom to the bass and kick drum if i were mixing, though your song is coming across fine as is, some good lines in there!

I'm with Strat (above) - it all sounds very high-end-y to me. Definitely a Neil Young type song, but not the sound, Neil likes plenty of low-mid guitar in there. Not sure how you can have the same reverb on the drums as the other parts, as it sounds in a totally different place.

Back