Two Yellow Lines

Good ol' time country. Sounds good. I here a lot of high pitched twang. I know there is supposed to be twang, but its almost ear piercing. Also, your first verse vocals seem to be spread left and right with it being heavier on Left. Then second verse comes in center. It sounds better centered. Good song.

Thanks for the feed back, I noticed the left right thing too. I didn't mean to do that but I kind of liked it when it came in different, and I just left it alone. I was playing direct with a pedal board, and used an amp simulator, I think hearing is shot at some frequencies, and I tend to crave high end so it's good to know.I will keep this in mind when i record it with other musicians for the project.

I enjoyed the song. Good performance all around. The twang didn't bother me and I didn't find it ear-piercing or shrill. Which goes to show we all have different listening environments and ears. What works for one may not work for another. For that, you take all comments and find a balance between what people say and what you feel. If over several songs, you start to see a trend, you might want to make corrections. I'm not in any way knocking what Bruthish said. He gave good feedback on what he heard.

Content wise, I felt the song went too long at 5-1/2 minutes. My attention started to wane after 4 minutes. There are songs that are long and work well. They are the ones that have changes and surprises and keep you wondering what is next. The typical verse/chorus song don't do that and can get boring quickly. You don't want to bore the listener with your songs.

I went back and listened on my mixing cans(was listening on a set of JBL consumer cans before)....It does sound better and not as harsh however, there are still times when your lead guitar hits some harshness and jumps out of the mix. I think a touch of EQ in those frequencies may help. Like Chili said, we all listen on different devices and environments so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I do think you need to make the first verse sound the same as the others(more centered). I also heard a few "P" pops in there but they are not that noticeable.

The hardpanned acoustic on the right is just too far to the right for my taste (personal thing, I guess). Guess there's another guitar hard-panned on the left, but its volume is low enough its not as noticeable - I'd bring both them in to about 65% and see how that sounds.. Drums are too low in the mix. That first verse l/r vocal was distracting.

Pretty much what everyone else said.

That first vocal is louder than the following ones, and the panning with it all left and the guitar centered (the entire track) are a little unusual. I'd keep all the vocals centered and put that electric guitar off to the left and keep it there.

All the vocals could use more compression and some editing on those plosives. And they could all sit in the mix better than they do. I personally like vocals out front, but it's got to be something that is kind of nestled in. When I turn down your song a little, especially at the beginning, the band disappears quickly, leaving just a vocal, so it can sound like it was just tacked on.

It could easily have ended after the last chorus. For me, the guitar's said all it's going to say by that point so adds nothing after that, and the song's already clocking 4:30. (It even sounds like the band is getting a little tired on that last chorus.)

Overall I thought it was very good. Very nice song.

To me there was a bit too much bite in the twangy guitar. But more than that, there were some ear darts in the lead vocal. Words here and there have some 2500hz shots that get a bit harsh.

I think you could nudge up the bass a little.

I think you could also nudge the snare a little.

Thanks for all the input. I just replaced the file on sound cloud with a remix. So if you feel so inclined go ahead and listen to it again. I tried to address most of the issues, and I used a harmony generator to get an idea what another voice would add in the Chorus.

Nice job. I like your performance and song. Your second mix is better IMHO. Nice job. I'd like to hear more of your songs.

I think this sounds really nice overall. The performances are great, and the tones are nice too. My only nitpicks are:

1. The lead electric sounds piercing to me too. It just sounds as though it's pushed a bit too much in the upper mids and could be tamed a bit and still sound plenty twangy.
2. The vocal has a strange boxiness to it. It sounds as though it has a good amount of small(ish) room reverb on it or something. It makes it hard to distinguish the lyrics sometimes even though it's plenty loud. It's kind of like a shroud around it or something.

Great song, though, and great performances. Thanks for sharing! :)

Back