Two New Songs - Opinions Please

DaSpider

Here are two new songs I've uploaded:

Marywood
I'd like some opinions on the mix here and also whether or not the breakdown in the 3rd verse works. I'm not sure if it's too drastic and I've listened to it too many times to be objective!

All Alone Again
This is my first stab at doing some "orchestration". I'm not a string player (obviously), so I'm not sure how realistic the strings are... any tips from more knowledgable folks would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Neall

Marywood, the third verse thing was the best part, I liked it.
The bass is everywhere, maybe a bit EQ might clean it up to hear the notes better.
Vocal seemed alright. The acoustic at the break and the vocal seemed clear. the mix opened up.
I could imagine some filler parts here and there in the arrangement, which may or may not help it! :p

just one input. like a grain of salt.

Hi
I'm no string expert at all but in the second song - I liked the strings.
I wouldn't worry too much about how realistic they sound, more whether or not they suit the song, which they do.
But I thought they were realistic enough compared to the real thing, assuming they weren't. Does this make sense?
I did think the cello was too loud though, and the violins could have been louder. I liked the violin arrangement especially

COOLCAT said:
Marywood, the third verse thing was the best part, I liked it.
The bass is everywhere, maybe a bit EQ might clean it up to hear the notes better.
Vocal seemed alright. The acoustic at the break and the vocal seemed clear. the mix opened up.
I could imagine some filler parts here and there in the arrangement, which may or may not help it! :p

Thanks for listening to it. I'm still trying to get better at mixing. :o I might eliminate a guitar part and see if it opens things up a bit. I'll try tweaking the bass EQ too.

Neall

Rohan said:
Hi
I'm no string expert at all but in the second song - I liked the strings.
I wouldn't worry too much about how realistic they sound, more whether or not they suit the song, which they do.
But I thought they were realistic enough compared to the real thing, assuming they weren't. Does this make sense?
I did think the cello was too loud though, and the violins could have been louder. I liked the violin arrangement especially

Thanks! The cello was too loud. I'm going to take that down a bit.

By "realistic" I simply meant if I was doing something outside their range, etc. After listening to it again, I think I'll add some violin flourishes to the 2nd bridge to change it up. Violin flourishes? is that even the right way to say it? :confused: :)

Neall

Back