Two Metal tracks

Fuck, this sounds tight. I'm really headbanging!!!

Just a little advice: try to variate the velocity of the cymbals hits and quantize some of them against the beat some hits to make the drums sound more real. Er... don't take me wrong but your string samples suck :D.

Why don't you get a guy to put some cookie monster vocals on your tracks?

Yeah the string samples aren't the best I'll admit. Good ones cost money I don't have though :( Unless you can point me i the right direction :D

I'd love to get a guy to do some cookie monster stuff, but the only musicians I know are manifested as 0's and 1's on music forums :o

Thanks for the critique, much appreciated.

nice...

Kick sounds a little muffled (headphones)...Could be more punchy...Other than that, sounds great. What did you use for guitars?

Holy motherfucking shit, Legion!!!!
Your guitar sound is a killer, I'd love to know about your mic postioning. The tracks are absolutely great and I don't find anything wrong with your synth sounds.....kick could maybe use some more click, but I can feel it properly. Your bass purrs beautifully, is it DI'd? What programme did you use to get those "aah" voices in the first one? Questions, questions.....but that's because I loved the tracks so much. Get a growler to sing for you and they'll be perfect. ;) I can imagine Slipknot kind of vocals here......
Well done and don't ever stop! :D:D

Joe :):):):):):):):):):):)

Thanks man :) Much appreciated :)

I justed pointed one SM57 slightly off centre to the speaker, right up to the grillcloth without touching it. Did a couple of tests to see how it recorded and optimised from there. Recorded in my living room which is big with a laminate floor.

Bass is run direct into my Joe Meek 3Q preamp. I record 2 bass tracks usually. One completely dry, and one using some of the 3Q's compressor. That way when I'm mixing I can decide which is the better option for the song. I can't remember which I used in each tune. They generally get compressed to shit in mixing either way. I'm not a very consistant bassist so generally end up compressing the shit out of it.

The 3Q is the only pre I have so the guitar mic goes into that aswell. I really like that pre. It colors the sound, sure, but in a good way. I don't fuck with the guitars once they're recorded beyond rolling off the lows from about 100hz if required, and usually it is.

The choir sound is a soundfont. It's called Florestan_Ahh_Choir, implanted into SFZ, which is a free MIDI instrument you can shove soundfonts into. I found that on KVRAudio. I spent ages on SF2MIDI.com demoing various free choir sounds, and when I came across that one, I was completely sold. It was light years ahead of any of the other free stuff out there.

Very cool. :) The piano sound did sound a little as if it could stand improvement. But that might be only 'coz I read the other post first.

Everything sounds very nicely played and very nicely done. Headbanging material. Those speed picks are super. :) The tones on the guitars is definitely very nice. You already said how you mic'd just curious what kind of guitars and amps.

Also I was noticing of the stuff sounded in playing style close to some drop D stuff I've been doing lately. So just curious whether you used any drop D tuning or just standard. :D

Again, the whole first track sounds very cool.

Very cool. :) The piano sound did sound a little as if it could stand improvement. But that might be only 'coz I read the other post first.

Everything sounds very nicely played and very nicely done. Headbanging material. Those speed picks are super. :) The tones on the guitars is definitely very nice. You already said how you mic'd just curious what kind of guitars and amps.

Also I was noticing of the stuff sounded in playing style close to some drop D stuff I've been doing lately. So just curious whether you used any drop D tuning or just standard. :D

Again, the whole first track sounds very cool.

Guitars in the first track are in D standard. Drop C on the second track.

The guitar I use throughout is a Strat with a mini humbucker I threw into the bridge years ago to replace the single coil.

Amps used are a Peavey 6505, old Marshall Valvestate 8080 combo, and a newer Marshall Valvestate AVT150h, which is really low in the mix because the high gain tones sound like ass. I just use it to add a little bit of beef. Although it's feasable I may well have completely scrubbed out the AVT tracks. I can't entirely remember. It's been a few years since I recorded these tunes. Kinda went on hiatus and figured I'd throw some old mixes to the wolves to get me back into it.

I'm actually starting to think I may need to go and check exactly what amps I used and where. Because it's occuring to me that, the way I do things, 3 amps would mean I triple layered everything and I don't generally do that.

I'm gonna go have a look :o

It's as I thought. The AVT tracks were completely scrubbed. So it's the 6505 and the 8080.

The 6505 provided a lot of the beef, but didn't cut through so well because I couldn't crank it so hard in the environment I'm in.

The 8080 is the more dominant amp in the mixes. Seem to cut through with the mids better, but doesn't have an amazing amount of low end when it's cranked. I think the preamp tubes were on their way out at the time aswell :o

I could also push the 8080 harder because it's a combo, as opposed to the Peavey stack which would probably get my gear confiscated by the council on grounds of noise pollution if I did.

So basically, both amps filled in the blanks for each other.

In light of this stuff flooding back to me, and having retubed my 6505 with a massive improvement in its sound, I'm hoping that I might be able to improve on my tone in future projects.

Guitars in the first track are in D standard. Drop C on the second track.

The guitar I use throughout is a Strat with a mini humbucker I threw into the bridge years ago to replace the single coil.

Amps used are a Peavey 6505, old Marshall Valvestate 8080 combo, and a newer Marshall Valvestate AVT150h, which is really low in the mix because the high gain tones sound like ass. I just use it to add a little bit of beef. Although it's feasable I may well have completely scrubbed out the AVT tracks. I can't entirely remember. It's been a few years since I recorded these tunes. Kinda went on hiatus and figured I'd throw some old mixes to the wolves to get me back into it.

I'm actually starting to think I may need to go and check exactly what amps I used and where. Because it's occuring to me that, the way I do things, 3 amps would mean I triple layered everything and I don't generally do that.

I'm gonna go have a look :o

D standard? That's everything one step down?

Humbucker? Hehe, my Fender also needs one of those. The Fender sounds bright but very noisy for the distortion stuff so I've been thinking about swapping out all the pickups with some humbuckers.

D standard? That's everything one step down?

Humbucker? Hehe, my Fender also needs one of those. The Fender sounds bright but very noisy for the distortion stuff so I've been thinking about swapping out all the pickups with some humbuckers.

Yup. Everything one step down. My guitar is almost permanently tuned a step down.

I replaced my bridge single coil not too long after I got my strat with a Seymour Duncan 'Lil screamin' demon. Certainly cut out some of the hum, and obviously enabled me to get more distortion out of it. I feel in love with the sound instantly. I've had that guitar for nearly 15 years now, and have not felt overly compelled to furnish myself with another 6 string.

Someone once asked me "what is your dream guitar" I was pleased to be able to say "I already own it". :)

That's pretty cool. :)

I wouldn't mind one of those Gibsons someday, tho.

BB, get the next best thing....an EPI! :D

Legion, do you remember how you set the EQ dials on the amps, like boosted mids or so? Lately I've been boosting the mids more.....

Legion, do you remember how you set the EQ dials on the amps, like boosted mids or so? Lately I've been boosting the mids more.....

Well, I was thinking of an EPI LP for a long time but never thought of spending that much. But then I saw some guys playing Ibanez online and saw the guitars in person at GC and played them. I really liked the tone and feel of it. To the point that it convinced me to spend $399 on a guitar. At that point I was thinking well then why not just get an EPI LP, but Ibanez is what convinced me to spend the money so I thought I should get that one. Other than the Floyd Rose that is a [sarcasm]joy[/sarcasm] to tune, it's a real nice guitar.

Those tracks are awesome! What did you use for drums? Did you sample them or record them acoustically? And those voices and strings sound pretty good, I really think they fit with the song. I've been looking into getting a MIDI controller and some software, but I'm not really sure what to get. I've heard Acoustica Mixcraft 4 is good, and I've used a demo. Never really got to use it to its full extent though. Any Suggestions?

Well, I was thinking of an EPI LP for a long time but never thought of spending that much. But then I saw some guys playing Ibanez online and saw the guitars in person at GC and played them. I really liked the tone and feel of it. To the point that it convinced me to spend $399 on a guitar. At that point I was thinking well then why not just get an EPI LP, but Ibanez is what convinced me to spend the money so I thought I should get that one. Other than the Floyd Rose that is a [sarcasm]joy[/sarcasm] to tune, it's a real nice guitar.

oh, yeah...Floyd Rose, tell me about it! I've got one on my ESP vintage Strat, it's all blood, sweat and tears!

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread, Legion....at least we keep it alive this way! :D

Now, back to the subject of these 2 awesome tracks.....

Depends on the amp. I think I usually have the mids at about 6 or 7 with the Marshal. Maybe a little higher with the Peavey.

Bass is maxed on the Marshall because it doesn't have a lot of low end. On the Peavey the Bass is at about half way.

Treble is about halfway with both amps. Maybe a little more with the Peavey.

This isn't a super accurate representation of what I do by any means. There's a bit of give or take I'm sure. I'm just reading off my amps as I'm looking at them while I write this. For all I know someone's been fucking with the knobs since I last recorded :p When I set up I do it with a fresh ear, set everything at 5 and twiddle till it sounds right. It's kinda something I do in combination with the mic placement.

To be honest. I'm an amateur when it comes to this stuff. I just know what I like and screw around till I get it. Usually only takes about 15-20 minutes or so. I'm actually very surprised I've had the compliments I've had for my tone. I'm definitely by no means an expert.

Last edited:
Those tracks are awesome! What did you use for drums? Did you sample them or record them acoustically? And those voices and strings sound pretty good, I really think they fit with the song. I've been looking into getting a MIDI controller and some software, but I'm not really sure what to get. I've heard Acoustica Mixcraft 4 is good, and I've used a demo. Never really got to use it to its full extent though. Any Suggestions?

The drums are MIDI. Battery to be precise. I spend a significant proportion of the time on drums. Setting velocities and such.

I don't use a MIDI controller for stings/piano etc. I just click everything onto the MIDI grid.

Last edited:
Back