a tune

thanks!

I'll reply properly later on.. I put up a new mix with dreadfully loud vocals if anyone cares.. are they too loud now? They sounded too loud to me even before this mix..

That was wild! Great sound all around especially the drums and whatever that thing is playing the main riff, like a drunk violin. I love that.

Hey Sam,
Wow...... all kinds of new stuff on this. I like where its gone..... and i LOVE those kids.
The vocs sound great during the solitary parts in the 1st verse, etc. When they get stacked up you start to get that low mid thingy again. Are you using the compression on the 788?...or on your vocal processor......? ..just curious.... ...and are you using a de-esser?
I dig where youre going w/ the loops and samples. Its a natural step for you...... and everything you seem to do with it sounds great. It doesnt sound like your jamming shit into your music....just to......jam shit. I noticed that you mentioned you pushed up the voc. levels from the first post you put up. I didnt hear the first one, but I do not think these are too loud. They sound great to me....... up front where they shoud be.
Great stuff Sam, *****

Mike

I remember this one. :) One of the first tunes I heard here as well. Maybe it already was a remix at that time?

"Except on the inside" Love that, the first time it caches you totally by surprise is perfect.

Drums sound really good.

Personally I find all the orchastrated stuff a little loud and pushing pretty hard on the headroom. Other than that it's a great mix. I don't think the vox are too loud at all. There's a couple spots where they are heavily doubled/tripled... and my cheap headphones were threatening to buzz.

Inspired stunt guitar as always. I was all set for that lead to go another 16 bars.

Love the hmmm...hmmm...hmmm...hmmmm at 1:16 :)

Levels are much much better...and the performance is shining through. The scream at 2:05...Sick.

But...

And i have to ride you on this, and you can email me to back off it if you want. :) But the only trouble i have with your vocal mixes is they tend to sound a bit too separated from the mix to me. Perhaps there's a chorus effect your using that's hyping low mids and creating some sort of sonic bubble around the vocals. Lt. Bob mentioned a boost around 10K. i think that would help, but i also think a more attentive tinkering of the effects could possibly help? i'm just throwing thoughts out there. It's not like your board is in front of me. Best i can do is guess.

100% improvement nonetheless. The guitars seem to have improved too. i love the BBE sound you get. Cuts suuuper nice.

If you do play with the vocal any i'd like to hear it. I love this tune.

Your water loving neighbor to the north,

ŠLûiÇè

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸>(((º> .·´¯`·.><((((º>
.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>´¯`·...¸>(((º>

Just listening to it.....

Good production, not my cup of tea but as it goes I like it. I really like the see-saw instrument/effect. I also like the melody.

Can't see any problems with the mix...

Keep it up,
Paul

well fuck.....i have been listening to this for about 40 minutes now....by listening i mean sulking....i cant stop singing it ....hell maybe ill record it and send you a track....i love that harmony on the " how are you today ......." part.

this is a whoooooole lot of tracks to keep together im guessing...

kick ass
jamal

as with most of all the tunes I`ve heard by you, this one kind of gives me the itchy skin feeling, almost a slightly guilty feeling. Like maybe, I`m hearing this free and haven`t paid for the cd, getting a sneak preview before other folks gets to hear it, or I knew this dude that told nother dude I could come in from the side door and listen but I gotta be cool. Quite masterful ideas, composition, and awesome tracking. Damn I hope this aint sounding too cheezy!. It was massive and impressive.. the bass and the low keys seemed bigger and wider than anything Ive heard before of yours. I like the drop-out to infinity section, and fast faded back again. That was a deep dark hole and clear as deep space.
I agree with you though on the vocals, they sorta reach out at you in a very dominant way. Too loud for the song? probably not. They sound good, harmonies great too, but I`'m used to hearing your vocals more in the wrapper with the rest of the song, not with such an independent aura to them. there , maybe that makes some sense.

The intro strings(?) still bug me a bit. Sounds too midi :D Some interesting weirdo fills you have there. The screaming bit at about 2:00 could be louder. A good scream almost goes to waste .. almost :D In genera, the vocals could be a tad louder.

I instantly recognised this. This sounds good. I couldn't find the original.. hmm... I don't remember it being that different, but my ears have deceived me before. This is a good job. I can't say anything about improvement because I forgot how the original was mixed :D

I think I heard the previous incarnation of this.

Don't have it handy for reference.

Do you count the verses 6/4 2/4 4/4 4/4 ? I like the way it almost swings, very cool.

The almost 'dissonant' sounding vocal harmony is very 'ozzy' 'ish to me.

Cool tune, very powerful and dramatic.

appreciate the ears everyone!

Smokepole - I guess it's a mixture of both.. some stuff I have a clear idea of what I want, but most times I just write as I record.. The kids were a great sample I found.. I don't have any kids yet, but most of my friends do.. thanks for checking it out!

Triple M - I'm glad you got in early with the feed.. Your always there when I need ya! :D thanks Triplage!!

scottboyher - thanks for checking it out man.. I was diggin' your last tunes!

SLuiCe - I'm trying to work out the vocal bugs before I do our thing.. I'm pretty confused because the vocal sounds so loud to me on this, that it doesn't sound good to me.. If someone else put this up, I think I would be saying lower the vocals.. I added more high end to the vocal on the remix, and it sounds pretty harsh to me.. Very frustrating indeed.. I notice that to get away with having the vocal this loud, you have to have a better overall vocal sound like yours. I may give up on this for now.. I don't know what to do with it anymore.. I agree with what you said about the vocals sounding seperate.. DAMN!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!! :D I'll send you an email later..thanks! BTW, I compared a 192 mp3 with a VBR of this tune.. The 192 is 5.79mb, and the VBR is 5.84.. I hear no artifacts at all on the VBR, but I DO hear them on the 192... What does it all mean? nothing.. nobody cares anyway!! :D

Pedullist - did you listen to the new mix? I agree there are serious problems here.. thanks!

sjcrts - I remixed and brightened up the vocals.. I'm sure it's too bright now! thanks for the comments man!

powderfinger - yeah the synth didn't turn out exactly how I planned.. thanks for the ears man! What does 'very food' mean? :D

Axe4Yahweh - I raised the vocal A LOT! Most likely too much.. thanks Axe!

David - That IS good news!! :D thanks man!!

Jagular - Yeah for some reason the synth sounds very different than I originally planned.. I remixed it and made some changes though.. thanks Jag..

twist - if Sluice sang this it would have definitely sounded good.. thanks for the ears Twist!

M.Brane - I hear ya man.. sometimes it's hard to get the same vibe as when you first think of it.. I really thought this one was better despite all it's problems.. I even tried to do some things 'exactly' the same way, but with better sound.. Maybe the remix is better.. What version did you listen to? I made some adjustments on everything.. Your the first person that thought the guitar sound was lacking.. :D thanks Brain!

mixmkr - it's cool! I hear what your saying man.. feel free to rant at will though.. :D As far as the tune, I am not a good guitar player.. I am an effect abuser! :D The difference is that anyone could play what I play if they purchase the same effects.. I could not buy anything that would enable me to play 'Spanish Nights.' thanks mix!

homeuser - thanks for the ears.. I just put some extra time into it.. Anyone who puts in the time could do better I'm sure..

Kramer - let me just take a moment to congratulate you on resolving the user text situation! :D I may go back and revamp a few of the older ones if it seems worth it, but not all of them.. Once in awhile I come up with a tune that keeps annoying me because the original wasn't what it should have been.. I may go and resing one or two others.. I put up a new mix and I think the vocals are too loud now.. thanks for the ears man!!!

Lt. Bob - good to see you man!! I went back and raised the vocals, but I think it's too much now.. the vocals were not recorded well again.. I added a bit more highs and now I think it sounds harsh.. thanks L-T...

chardin - What station would possibly play something like this? :D thanks for the comment!

ashulman - 'drunken violin' :D cool description.. thanks for the ears!

Guernica - you bring up a good point about compression.. I used the Blue Max compressor http://www.riksmusic.com/presonus/bluemax.htm and then piled on more 788 compression afterwards.. Maybe over compression is giving it that nasty sound.. damn.. There are only three voices in the stacked parts.. 1 stereo voice, and 2 mono's panned a bit.. I'm now starting to think I over compressed it.. DAMN!!!!! People kept saying the vocals were low or muffled, and now they are harsh!:mad: :(
No loops on this one.. :D I played the drums, and the samples were from a sound effects CD. thanks as always Mike!! I'll get it one frigin' day!!

Doug H - your right.. I over did it with the Ultramaximizer.. It makes my computer speakers almost crackle, but it sounded decent on the home stereo.. I will back off a bit.. thanks for the ears!

psneddon - appreciate the mix comment!

Jamal Bucket - yeah man, it sux because I can only mix 6 tracks at a time before I have to bounce.. then I bring in 6 more and keep bouncing.. I think in the end of this I used about 70 tracks.. mainly because of all the submixing and bouncing.. thanks for checking it out!

Toki987 - You said - I agree with you though on the vocals, they sorta reach out at you in a very dominant way. Too loud for the song? probably not. They sound good, harmonies great too, but I`'m used to hearing your vocals more in the wrapper with the rest of the song, not with such an independent aura to them. there , maybe that makes some sense.

Definitely.. I have been thinking the same thing.. My vocals shouldn't be mixed as loud as the average song.. thanks for the cool response Toke!

CrankyOne - I'm not even sure what that keyboard sound is supposed to be, but it just sounded soooooo gray.. (as opposed to colorful) :D I put up a mix with louder vocals.. Let me know if you think they're too loud.. I do.. Thanks Crank!!

Emeric - I'm not entirely sure how you would count it.. When I recorded the keys, I did it to a silly drum machine pattern.. It's more fun than doing it to a metronome, even if you know your not keeping the drum track.. if you heard the parts with the original drums, it wouldn't sound right because I was playing against it rather than with it.. Don't know if that makes any sense.. Thanks for checking it out man!!! Where's the Sunday tunes???

thanks again everyone.. be well! :D

One of my favorite Samij tunes made better!
Guitars sound great as always,and I like the vox.
You added more synth too,no?

That was cool with the little kids laughing,cracked me up.:D

Pete

Re: appreciate the ears everyone!

B.SABBATH said:
I'm not even sure what that keyboard sound is supposed to be, but it just sounded soooooo gray.. (as opposed to colorful) :D I put up a mix with louder vocals.. Let me know if you think they're too loud.. I do.. Thanks Crank!!

The vocals are not loud at all. Just great :D This time I managed to hear the low spoken "incurable illness" parts too. Cool :D Did you add them, or were they just lower in volume before? Either way, this is a slight improvement. :) I can't think of things "fix" no more :D Well, I don't quite get those children voices but I have a feeling you're going to do a concept CD of some kind. I think they'd fit there nicely :D If not a concept, then it's still nice to have some little stuff between songs.

NoWhere seems to be having some problems right now.

I just went back and listened to the original version and realized what was missing: the water dripping at the beginning, and the BT(?) cough at 1:09 :D I always thought that was cool.

The guitar sound isn't bad, it just gets a bit buried under the synth. I think a bit of treble/high treble would take care of that.

excellent!you make some damn good music!(and thats why i cant
turn on the radio and hear you right now)
love it man,dont change a thing.

Back