Tune #2, Mix #1

GONZO-X

Tune-2 Mix-1 by Bats Brew | Free Listening on SoundCloud

here's a new song i'm just starting to mix,
my thought is that i need to bring up more midrange energy, and maybe make the sound of the mids more dense thru a bit more compression.

i use compression throughout the mix, but it's always very light, with very little reduction...
i like the sound of the mix open,
but i'm finding i'm ending up with huge crest factor:
mix output was at -18.1 LUFS, with -18.9 rms and true peak at -2.4!!
LOL

then temp-mastered with light compression, and limiting to get to about a K-12 level.

will probably re-sing the whole thing.

ideas are welcome.

It sounds well performed and mixed. The only thing i'd suggest is to increase the volume on some of the lyrics sung so they can be understood better. like around :50 in and 2:40.

Vocals and BVs have a real Yes vibe to them and the tune lives up to that quality standard. Likewise the mix and production - approaching Trevor Horn territory. I thought the levels on everything were real good. Only nit is the open hats from 2.10 and after might be slightly too loud

great ears, guys...
and good recommendations.......

i didn't really master this too deep, because i know i'm going back and changing things....

Dearborn,
yea, was on the fence about the vocal levels......
what i'm experimenting with now, is using a neve clone eq on the vox bus, and brightening them a bit, for clarity without level...
but i may just end up simply cranking the vocal bus up a bit, and voila.
LOL

Bulls Hit,
yea, those hats.... that's a single stereo drum track i have, made a while back, and i don't have that program anymore,
so what i may have to do, is automate some eq (which is easy to do in most daws), and find that specific peak of the hi hat eq, and notch it just a bit.
good ear.... i've heard it for so long now, i just have tuned it out.

Back