๐Ÿ–•

Tips or tricks? Pick a fitting reverb and send a fit amount to them. That's about it. What's wrong with just creating a reverb channel and sending the guitar bus and drum bus to it, in varying amounts? If it takes weird reverb panning techniques to get it to "not sound weird", then there's another issue you're overlooking.

The big thing I'm noticing is some crackling. It's probably mp3 artifacts, but I'm pretty sure the one on the left at 0:33 at least is something clipping.

One of the tricks to combining different reverbs is using reverbs that have the same sort of sound to them. Sometimes i do this by using the same reverb, but adjusting the decay time and pre-delay for the different instruments. That way, everything can be in its own space, but everything sounds like it is in the same sort of space.

Yes, you you are using a bright room on the guitar and a dark hall on the drums, it will sound strange.

However, most of the time I leave the guitars dry or feed a tiny amount into the drum reverb if dry is too dry.

90% of what I do is metal, so the immediate, in-your-face thing is what I'm going for. It will get balanced out by bigger hall reverb on the drums. Like I said, if it sound too dry, I will feed a bit of guitar to the drum reverb, especially if the song drops down to one guitar by itself for a bit.

There are no rules, but I will normally try to put the rhythm tracks in the same "space". Kind of like they are playing together. If you have the drums in a cave, guitars in a living room, acoustic in a hall, etc... how are these people playing together?

Lead instruments, like vocals and solos can be off in their own space, above the backing tracks because they are the featured thing and tend to sit on top of it all.

That is just my aesthetic and the way I think about it.

Back