Try It Again #3

Sounds nicely balanced to me. Incredible bass tone. Guitars sound really nice. Just right. Didn't take you long to get a nice drum mix happening. Great job all around. This might be the best mix I've heard from you yet. No kidding.

If I really had to nitpick, I'd want a little more meat in the snare. It's a little thin, but not bad.

Thanks Greg! We worked on this all afternoon so I guess our effort paid off. :)

You bet, it sure did. Save this mix, but try a second mix with a little more body in the snare. Just work with the snare track. Look in the 200-400hz range for some snare meat, but avoid the "donk" area. I bet there's some fatness in there. You can also try the tried-and-true Rami trick of flipping the phase on just the snare track. That can sometimes add some snare body and thickness without hurting anything else. Should be quick and easy. See what you think.

My only comment would be that the song begins abruptly.
It's amazing how effective the phase flip can be.

Not sure what a phase flip is, but your tune sounds like some good mellow beer drinking music. Then again show me some music that isn't beer drinking music :drunk:

If I'm not mistaken Ray is referring to flipping the phase on the bottom/top snare mics. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If I'm not mistaken Ray is referring to flipping the phase on the bottom/top snare mics. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Not quite. If you're using a top and bottom snare track, then one of them should technically be flipped anyway. Usually it's the bottom. So if that's the case, just leave one flipped and go with it. If you're only using a top snare mic track, then flipping it by itself can fatten it up.

I think they mean to flip the phase on the top snare in relation to the overheads. I actually don't do that any more. What I do now is zoom in and line up the snare hits with the overheads. You might need to do the same with the bottom snare if you do that.

I think this mix is great. I could use a little more kik drum, but it sounds really good as is.

Back