Trial Mix #1, "Moonshine" - acoustic/electric blend

Has a cross between Doobie Bros/CSN?Y sound. Sounded balanced to me.

Congas sounded good, I probably would have put them like in the back and wide where it provides the sound for flavoring and seasoning. Just an opinion.

Overall sounded good, congas are a good choice, just a matter of where do they go.

Has a cross between Doobie Bros/CSN?Y sound. Sounded balanced to me.

Congas sounded good, I probably would have put them like in the back and wide where it provides the sound for flavoring and seasoning. Just an opinion.

Overall sounded good, congas are a good choice, just a matter of where do they go.

you know, originally i had em panned straight up,
with a stereo reverb,
which spread it out like you suggested..

for some reason, i changed all that, and panned it a bit opposite of the shaker and maracas....
i'll revisit that panning issue,
thanks!

I have a feeling what you are going for, since congas are played together, you want all of it one side or the other. Like you said shaker and maracas panned the other side with some separation like one at 30% other at 60% something like that. I think if you pan the congas, far wide, that won't sound right either.

Gonna be hard to find their place, but when you do, they will sound really good with this piece.

I kept wanting to say "maybe the guitars are a touch bright," then I'd go "no, maybe not," then back again. So guess their fine. Bass could be just a bit more distinct, though. Really, really like the song itself.

I'd bring the lead guitar-slide/reso part up a bit in the early part of the song. Lead vocal could be a little louder when it's not being harmonized. The 'congas' sound too high for congas, more like bongos, maybe you can EQ some hi off them a little, think they are a little loud, too, except in the end part of the song. The constant tambo shake near the end could be cut out.
Great guitar stuff - captured really well, too.

I have a feeling what you are going for, since congas are played together, you want all of it one side or the other. Like you said shaker and maracas panned the other side with some separation like one at 30% other at 60% something like that. I think if you pan the congas, far wide, that won't sound right either.

Gonna be hard to find their place, but when you do, they will sound really good with this piece.

think i found a good place for the congas (bongos), they're tighter to center,
with a good reverb on the opposite side same position.
and that works good!
tnx

I kept wanting to say "maybe the guitars are a touch bright," then I'd go "no, maybe not," then back again. So guess their fine. Bass could be just a bit more distinct, though. Really, really like the song itself.

hehe, sammy,
it's funny, but it ALWAYS works this way....
one guy says one thing, somebody else says the exactly opposite..
but it's still good to know, and still informs me as to differences in translation....
and my job, as i see it, is to find the best 'common ground' and figure out what's going on...
so thanks all the same..

i DID just tweak the bass, to make it have more clarity versus depth,
so your bass comment was still good to hear.
thanks

I'd bring the lead guitar-slide/reso part up a bit in the early part of the song. Lead vocal could be a little louder when it's not being harmonized. The 'congas' sound too high for congas, more like bongos, maybe you can EQ some hi off them a little, think they are a little loud, too, except in the end part of the song. The constant tambo shake near the end could be cut out.
Great guitar stuff - captured really well, too.

the congas.... yes, are actually bongos!
LOL
my bad..... but either way, i have re-panned and re-fx'd the bongos, to basically get to where you suggest.....
and i think your idea of editing the tamborine 'off' at the end, is solid.
gonna do it.

Back