Treasure

GuitarLegend

I am currently doing the live engineering for a band. I recorded the entire gig, this is just one song as a sample.

The bass and keys were DI, the guitar was recorded with an SM57, the drums with Audix DP7 and the vocals are all SM58s.

The desk is an Allen & Heath Qu-24 with AB168 stage box. That single Ethernet cable is so much better than a bundle of audio cables...

ReSound Live - Treasure

A little siblance on the vox.

Snare and hi hat could come up a bit.

Don't care for the harsh spread between the guitar and synths. Any way they could occupy a little more of each other's L/R space?

There's a lot of good you did with this, seeing that it's a live recording and these are the only faults I could find.

Thanks for that. Yep, slipped up on the sibilance. I usually catch that. On the spread, I hear a lot of recordings done that way. Sometimes I close them up a bit but I like to get that separation.

This is another live recording I did of the same band at an indoor gig

Resound Live - Get Lucky

Thanks for that. Yep, slipped up on the sibilance. I usually catch that. On the spread, I hear a lot of recordings done that way. Sometimes I close them up a bit but I like to get that separation.

There's nothing wrong with the separation for obvious reasons (so you can hear the instruments clearly), but it can be done without them sounding so 'mono' and like they're being restricted to such a narrow section of the sound field. If the goal is to capture the performance cleanly, you've accomplished that very well. If you want to make it robust and have more of a studio feel, you'll want to give the instruments some stereo properties like they would have in a studio recording.

The synth is panned so far right and rather loud. The guitar on the left feels like it's at 60% while the other one is off at 500%.

Pretty tight live performance.

The synth is panned so far right and rather loud. The guitar on the left feels like it's at 60% while the other one is off at 500%.

That's a pretty good ear you have. That was about what it was, although not quite 500%.... more like 450% give or take.
When I did a pro course in mixing, their "producers mix" had stuff panned fully LR and I thought that was unnatural, kind of like the old Beatles recordings. When I pulled them closer to the middle, they didn't exactly complain but didn't comment favourably on it.

Its also funny that the one the band likes the most when they want to demo a recording is the one with the issues raised above.

Anyway, I addressed those issues. Its the same link but I will repost it here

ReSound Live - Treasure

This is another of their live recordings. I pan the guitar and keys aside to make a hole for the vocals. I know I may have to address that too but that's why I post them here - I will get a more critical assessment.

ReSound Live - Easy

RE: Treasure.

I was thinking - next time (assuming these aren't distinct tracks) could you put the guitar and keys through a bus with some light stereo chorus/widening on it, to help them mesh? The last mix you posted sounds fine, but those two instruments still jump because they're so differentiated in the mix. IMO something needs to be done to bring them into the whole.

RE: Treasure.

I was thinking - next time (assuming these aren't distinct tracks) could you put the guitar and keys through a bus with some light stereo chorus/widening on it, to help them mesh? The last mix you posted sounds fine, but those two instruments still jump because they're so differentiated in the mix. IMO something needs to be done to bring them into the whole.

Thanks for your thoughts. I get that feeling myself but not sure what to do about, but what you said has kind of put it together more or less. I do need other ears on the mix sometimes

Back