[Track Update, added vocals, more time mixing] Dead Idols

askew

[Track Update, added vocals, more time mixing] Dead Idols

Hey trying to mix drums and vocals, and increase the stereo image without phase issues

Attachments

• audioTestSample.mp3
    5 MB · Views: 9
The hi-hat is too loud.

The whole mix sounds very tiny and lo-fi. Everything is very drowned out as if you'd cut everything from 4-5k (besides the hi-hats) and above completely out of the mix.

i've altered some plug ins that might have been causing that

Attachments

• audioTestSample.mp3
    5 MB · Views: 4
This isn't a question of plug-ins.

I'd say that the way this was recorded was in a poorly treated rooms using sub-optimal micing.
The whole mix sounds like it's in a basement below me.

Can you tell me more about the way that this was recorded?

It was a somewhat treated room I haven't got access to a perfect room, the set up was fairly standard close miking.
XY overheads.

Attachments

• audioTestSampledrums.mp3
    4.8 MB · Views: 1
The whole mix is out of balance, for a start. That's not a good snare sound, either - it sounds like a plastic bucket. The cymbals are piercing whilst the rest of the kit is muddy. There are hints of decent playing - e.g. the metal riffing in the right speaker sounds pretty good, but it's muddy and lacking in definition. Is everything on its own track? How much bleed was there between the instruments?

The vocal is not sitting at all in the mix - it's too loud and it's the only element in the mix that has any clarity, so it sticks out like a sore thumb. You need to kill some of the high frequencies in the cymbals and hi-hats, for a start. Some of the bottom end needs shelving out of the right-hand guitar and the upper mids need to be tweaked up a bit. The bass is extremely boomy and woolly. I don't know what to suggest for the snare, it doesn't sound like a snare at all. :D

On the whole, what it sounds like is that every band member has taken charge of their own sound without any thought to how it fits with the rest of the band. They're all trying to dominate the bass frequencies and it just isn't working.

Mom always told me 'If I don't have anything nice to say'....

There is something really wrong there. Post the raw tracks of the drums. Not sure what you have on there, but that is not working. If there is a mic on the snare, it is toast.

What are you recording with?

Mom always told me 'If I don't have anything nice to say'....

There is something really wrong there. Post the raw tracks of the drums. Not sure what you have on there, but that is not working. If there is a mic on the snare, it is toast.

What are you recording with?

Yeah, I don't understand how the hi-hats can be so piercing, yet the snare sounds like it's under a duvet! The snare ought to be over-bright from picking up in the overheads or hi-hat mic. It actually sounds as if the snares weren't engaged and there's no stick attack on the skin at all.

Im mixing on headphones btw when I listen tomorrow on the speakers ill have a better idea, I used a tone
shaper and a high shelf which didn't help the snare or eq. The hi hat was an atm450 I think the snare was a beta 58.

I've adjusted it

Attachments

• 14Dec23.30.mp3
    5 MB · Views: 4
Im mixing on headphones btw when I listen tomorrow on the speakers ill have a better idea, I used a tone
shaper and a high shelf which didn't help the snare or eq. The hi hat was an atm450 I think the snare was a beta 58.

I've adjusted it

You need to sort out the relative balances of the instruments before you start bunging plugins onto your mix. They're not magic spells for fixing your mix, they're tools for when you can't improve your mix by altering the relative balances of the instruments.

1. Get your sources sounding good.

2. Mic them up properly - placement and mic choice

3. Record them

4. Get the relative balances of the instruments right in the mix.

5. Use plugins to sort out the rest of the imbalances, such as eq, compression and reverb.

You need to sort out the relative balances of the instruments before you start bunging plugins onto your mix. They're not magic spells for fixing your mix, they're tools for when you can't improve your mix by altering the relative balances of the instruments.

1. Get your sources sounding good.

2. Mic them up properly - placement and mic choice

3. Record them

4. Get the relative balances of the instruments right in the mix.

5. Use plugins to sort out the rest of the imbalances, such as eq, compression and reverb.

Exactly!

Go back to the guitarist and work with him to get a less mid-scooped guitar sound. That scooped sound will never stand out in a mix. Maybe try double-tracking and wide-panning the guitar

I think the vocals are way too loud compared to the rest of everything. It sounds like the verse vocalist is screaming in my ear but the rest of the band is in the back bedroom hammering away.

Was there a bass guitar in this mix? I didn't hear it.

What software or recorder are you using? And what mic's? There is something seriously wrong here IMO.

Please answer/respond to us if you wish for better advice. Just fiddling with things and re posting isn't going to help anyone figure out what your issue is.

Well, I suppose we know that what you are doing is not helping at all...

:)

I listened to 3 of the mp3's you uploaded and I don't think I've ever heard 3 so different sounding mixes in such short succession. The first posted mix was terrible.

My only advice is put the headphones down. Get the monitors on. Scrap the plugins and bullshit you've added so far and start from scratch. Drums first. Reference tracks along the way that you aim to achieve a sound akin to.

Build the track up from there. Drums first>>>Bass>>>Guitars>>>Vocals>>>Etc.

This is not my cup of tea by any stretch of the imagination but I actually like the sound of the track that is hidden in there trying to get out.

:thumbs up:

Sounds good when the volume is cranked but at low(normal) volume it sounds pretty dead. Everything sounds dead center except a few splashes here and there.

Best advice was above. Pull off any plug-ins and effects and start with the drums to get that sound right first then start adding the others. Putting mics on the instruments is an art in itself but you should still be able to pull off decent sounds with a trial and error.

Also, pan that guitar and double up on it and the opposite side.

Using Logic 9 and a mix of microphones on the guitar I had a pr20 and an atm450 just blending them to try and get a nice tone.

Attachments

• 16:12-2.mp3
    4.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back