Track by track....The life of a song........

Is the guitar our of tune with the bass? When I'm this tired, I tend to have trouble with the pitch of a bass. I can hear it up to a semi-tone off when it's not. Is that happening to me now, or is the bass really out of tune with the guitar?

Is the guitar our of tune with the bass? When I'm this tired, I tend to have trouble with the pitch of a bass. I can hear it up to a semi-tone off when it's not. Is that happening to me now, or is the bass really out of tune with the guitar?

I'm pretty sure they're in tune. It's a little hard to tell with the drum in the way on the bass track, but I would have to believe that they are within the acceptable range to qualify as "in tune".

I'm pretty sure they're in tune. It's a little hard to tell with the drum in the way on the bass track, but I would have to believe that they are within the acceptable range to qualify as "in tune".
OK good. Yeah, sorry about that drum track. It's how I work, but I'll turn it down next time I post something. I'll try to record a real drum track as soon as possible.

OK good. Yeah, sorry about that drum track. It's how I work, but I'll turn it down next time I post something. I'll try to record a real drum track as soon as possible.

Hell.. don't apologize for it, it belongs there! I was just letting you know my excuse in advance in case it turns out that I'm also deaf and the guitar and bass actually turn out to be out of tune.

Go at your own pace. You can't rush genius! :)

OK, just re-amped the other guitar.

I'm posting new tracks in new posts, but also in the OP of this thread, for as long as the site allows me to edit that first post. So, they're all in one place and in order in the first post, if anyone wants to go through the progression as it happens. :)

Attachments

• Git 1&2 re-amped Mix.mp3
    8.5 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Alrighteee then....So much for this idea. No views of the files, or one view which happens to be me. :eek:

I'll post the tune when it's finished like we all usually do.

Mods, can you close this thread please?

Thanx. :)

Maybe just give it some time?
I for one intend to check this out but I've been pretty busy.
I'm particularly interested in hearing how guitars should really sound on their own. :)

You know the weekends are dead around here. Let's give it some time.

If it doesn't work out then maybe post up the tracks in Mix This. I've mixed a few of your songs in the past and always enjoyed it.

HAHA! I saw that one mod had closed the thread while the other mods were replying. I wasn't able to reply last night.

It's all good, leaving it open or closed. I didn't want to close it because I was pissed off or anything like that. I just wanted the thread to die if I wasn't going to keep up-dating it.

No big deal, either way. We'll see what happens. I have an eye operation tomorrow, so I might not be able to do much recording in the near future for a little while. So, the thread might just die on its' own.

Thanx guys.

Sounds good to me! The guitar tones tend to sound a little weak when they come forward (or maybe it's just the higher octave doesn't work for me with that guitar tone...). Like the project. Maybe I can learn something.

Hey, I've always wanted to do this but never got around to it. I think Steenamaroo did something similar recently.

I'm going to post a song as I write and record it, from the scratch tracks on. Just thought it might be cool to document the progression of how I record my tunes usually. It will actually be a new experience for me because I never save anything, in the sense that the latest version of any song I have is the only version I have. I burn bridges when I cross them. :D So, I've never been able to go back and listen to the early tracks of any tune I've finished.

I don't expect people to follow this all the way through. It's more for my own fun and whoever wants to come along, that's cool. I'll bump this thread whenever I add something to the song.

OK, so here's the first track to the tune. I always start with the bass (or a guitar scratch track) playing to a drum machine. I actually do my drums last or second to last, before the vocals, but often drums are the last thing I do. Strange but true.

For now, this tune is called "1a" (keeps the folder at the top of the list).

I'll name tracks according to the last thing I added.

So far today, I've done a bass track and the rythm guitar tracks.

NOTE: The guitars are going through a sim right now. I'm going to re-amp the guitars at a later time. So, I just dialed up quick distorted pre-sets to record for now. The guitars will have a little more variety and lot more thought put into their sound when I re-amp.

EDIT: As long as I can still edit the first post in this thread, I'm going to just put the MP3's here in order, while I can.

Here are the tracks as I upload them.:

Great idea in general. I'm the same way regarding never saving separate versions which is silly, but one thing I tend to do is save the very first, extremelyyyyyyy raw demo before polishing it up so I can compare the very earliest idea with the final product. Saves me time and makes me feel like I'm amazing :D

Don't kill the thread RAMI. I haven't been around to check it but I look forward to listening tonight. This is a really cool idea and for those of us still trying to learn to write and how the process goes in general even without hearing the tracks, just following the process and reading your thoughts as you go through it is really cool.

I just listened to it. :D I also like listening to raw tracks! I was thinking of doing the exact same thing, then I came in here and realized you'd beaten me to the punch! I've just recorded my best quality drum tracks ever and I wanted to show how me and my son built up the song.

Keep it up - but can we have some other interesting stuff as well as layered guitars? Perhaps some interesting percussion?

In case there's some kind of mis-understanding among people that aren't listening to the tracks (because judging by the view count on the files, it doesn't look like anyone's actually listening to the tracks), these are not individual tracks.

What I'm doing is posting the progress of the song. So, the first file is drum machine and bass. The second file is drum machine, bass, and first guitar. The next file is drum machine, bass, the first guitar doubled, and the second guitar, etc....Eventually, it will be all the tracks raw, just faders up mixed, and then finally, it will be an actual finished mix of the song. It will have real drums eventually, when I get around to replacing the drum machine track.

Not sure if this song will have any percussion, Bubba. I can't see percussion suiting this tune. But you never know. I've been known to take a left turn while developing a song, so things could change by the time I finish it.

I finally got to importing your tracks and taking a listen.
It's cool to see your working methods, especially since they're so different to mine and, I guess, Greg's.

I know you're main aim is tracking the progress of writing and compiling a song, but it might be cool to drop the drumbeat from additional tracks.
Maybe that's just me, but I had all the files going in a DAW and would have enjoyed hearing the guitars as separate raw tracks.

About the vst guitars and reamping later..I know reamping is fairly new to you, but did you always use a vst to get a rough idea down then just spend the time track it properly.

Thanks for sharing. :)

I finally got to importing your tracks and taking a listen.
It's cool to see your working methods, especially since they're so different to mine and, I guess, Greg's.

I know you're main aim is tracking the progress of writing and compiling a song, but it might be cool to drop the drumbeat from additional tracks.
Maybe that's just me, but I had all the files going in a DAW and would have enjoyed hearing the guitars as separate raw tracks.
I understand what you're saying. But I can post the raw tracks after. This is about documenting how I put a song together, even though it's not always exactly the same way. I will replace that drum machine as soon as I have permission from the doctor to play drums again. Right now, I can't do anything that will move my head around.

About the vst guitars and reamping later..I know reamping is fairly new to you, but did you always use a vst to get a rough idea down then just spend the time track it properly.
For the longest time, I only used VST's period. Then, I bought an amp, and always waited until I could make noise before I tracked. Then, I had the idea to use VST's to put rough tracks down, and then replace them with real tracks. Now, I use the VST's, but make sure that I record the raw, un-affected guitar track, which I then re-amp.

Back