Track by track....The life of a song........

R

RAMI

Hey, I've always wanted to do this but never got around to it. I think Steenamaroo did something similar recently.

I'm going to post a song as I write and record it, from the scratch tracks on. Just thought it might be cool to document the progression of how I record my tunes usually. It will actually be a new experience for me because I never save anything, in the sense that the latest version of any song I have is the only version I have. I burn bridges when I cross them. :D So, I've never been able to go back and listen to the early tracks of any tune I've finished.

I don't expect people to follow this all the way through. It's more for my own fun and whoever wants to come along, that's cool. I'll bump this thread whenever I add something to the song.

OK, so here's the first track to the tune. I always start with the bass (or a guitar scratch track) playing to a drum machine. I actually do my drums last or second to last, before the vocals, but often drums are the last thing I do. Strange but true.

For now, this tune is called "1a" (keeps the folder at the top of the list).

I'll name tracks according to the last thing I added.

So far today, I've done a bass track and the rythm guitar tracks.

NOTE: The guitars are going through a sim right now. I'm going to re-amp the guitars at a later time. So, I just dialed up quick distorted pre-sets to record for now. The guitars will have a little more variety and lot more thought put into their sound when I re-amp.

EDIT: As long as I can still edit the first post in this thread, I'm going to just put the MP3's here in order, while I can.

Here are the tracks as I upload them.:

Attachments

• Git 1&2.mp3
    8.4 MB · Views: 43
  • 1a Bass.mp3
    8.4 MB · Views: 71
  • Git 1 re-amped Mix.mp3
    8.5 MB · Views: 46
  • Git 1&2 re-amped Mix.mp3
    8.5 MB · Views: 31
  • Git 3 re-amped Mix.mp3
    8.5 MB · Views: 50
  • Temp Drum Machine.mp3
    8.3 MB · Views: 26
  • Scratch vocals.mp3
    8.3 MB · Views: 13
  • Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.mp3
    8.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
So this is a blog?

I listened to the guitar tracks. Might have actually been more fun without the drums. I like listening to really bare tracks.

So this is a blog?

I listened to the guitar tracks. Might have actually been more fun without the drums. I like listening to really bare tracks.
Yeah, you might be right. Those drums are just a place holder, so I'll turn them way down next time I post something. Or maybe I'll mute them and just have the click track playing, or nothing at all.

Actually, when it's all done, I'll post the raw tracks and let people mix it if they want to. For now I'll keep the drum machine and present the progression of the song the same way I'm hearing it as I record it.

Actually, when it's all done, I'll post the raw tracks and let people mix it if they want to. For now I'll keep the drum machine and present the progression of the song the same way I'm hearing it as I record it.

Do this. Engaging with the community is always fun.

Do this. Engaging with the community is always fun.

Uh yeah...thanx for the advice. :D

Over the years, I've put up about 5 songs for people to mix. I've just never done the life of a song. I've been responsible for the death of a few, though. :eek:

Last edited:
Not sure where to add new tracks. I can keep editing the first post or I can just make a new post with the new track every time.

Last edited:
this shoud be interesting and informative. particularly the re amping bit - I've not done any of that. Thanks.

RAMI said:
drums are the last thing I do. Strange but true.

Jesus! :)

RAMI said:
Here's the bass and rythm gits track:

When you play tougher bass parts, does it sound as clean as this one? That is, no sound from fingers sliding across the strings, etc.? I've never heard such a clean bass track. Of course, this may be the first bass track I've ever heard that I haven't done.

And are you using a pick?

this shoud be interesting and informative. particularly the re amping bit - I've not done any of that. Thanks.
Yeah, I'm going to re-amp soon. Those guitar tracks are a little annoying right now, sound-wise.

When you play tougher bass parts, does it sound as clean as this one? That is, no sound from fingers sliding across the strings, etc.? I've never heard such a clean bass track. Of course, this may be the first bass track I've ever heard that I haven't done.
And are you using a pick?
I never noticed, but that's pretty much how my raw bass sounds. Maybe needing new strings is working in my favor, because I don't think I can get any string noise even if I wanted to, my strings are so old. :eek: I do use a pick.

Yeah, I'm going to re-amp soon. Those guitar tracks are a little annoying right now, sound-wise.

I never noticed, but that's pretty much how my raw bass sounds. Maybe needing new strings is working in my favor, because I don't think I can get any string noise even if I wanted to, my strings are so old. :eek: I do use a pick.

I've got "playing bass with a pick" questions, but I'll save those for another time so I don't get your thread too off-track.

Looking forward to the next installment in your series here.

Thanx guys.

I only had time to re-amp one of the doubled rythm guitars, so I'll post that track with the bass and drum machine.

How does this guitar sound so far? This is a single guitar track that's going to be doubled.

Discuss....or don't....no big woop. :D

Great, just my luck. For some reason, the site's not uploading the MP3. I had no problem uploading the other MP3's yesterday. I'll check it out later.

Try again.....My fault. I was trying to upload a wav file by mistake.

Attachments

• Git 1 re-amped Mix.mp3
    8.5 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back