Track by track....The life of a song........

For the longest time, I only used VST's period. Then, I bought an amp, and always waited until I could make noise before I tracked. Then, I had the idea to use VST's to put rough tracks down, and then replace them with real tracks. Now, I use the VST's, but make sure that I record the raw, un-affected guitar track, which I then re-amp.

I really like the idea of re-amp. That makes so much sense, you get the best of both worlds.

RAMI: I'm sure you have probably posted this in another thread somewhere but what DAW are you using?

I have some overall questions about signal flow I guess. I was working with another friend lately that does his own recording and he is using Pro Tools. Anyway he doesn't put any effect directly on any track (except EQ at most). But then creates Sends like a GUITARFX send that would have EQ/COMP/ETC then have a GUITARVERB send with reverb. Basically route all the guitars to the FX then to the VERB then out to the master.

The way I have been working is to place EQ/COMP directly on the tracks as plugins then just use sends for things like reverb and delay. His tracks always seem to sound more cohesive I guess. I'm just curious what your process is.

RAMI: I'm sure you have probably posted this in another thread somewhere but what DAW are you using?

I have some overall questions about signal flow I guess. I was working with another friend lately that does his own recording and he is using Pro Tools. Anyway he doesn't put any effect directly on any track (except EQ at most). But then creates Sends like a GUITARFX send that would have EQ/COMP/ETC then have a GUITARVERB send with reverb. Basically route all the guitars to the FX then to the VERB then out to the master.

The way I have been working is to place EQ/COMP directly on the tracks as plugins then just use sends for things like reverb and delay. His tracks always seem to sound more cohesive I guess. I'm just curious what your process is.
I use REAPER.

What I do for reverb and delay is I always SEND stuff to them. Stuff like compression, EQ, etc....I insert them. But I rarely insert to a single channel. I put stuff in folders and insert to the folders. So, I'll have Guitars 1 & 2 (which is really the same guitar part played twice) in a folder with an EQ on the folder., etc....Same with vocals. I usually end up with a "Lead Vocal" folder, which will have 2 or more tracks. So, I'll have an EQ and compresser on the folder. Though, with vocals, I often have 2 compressors; One on each individual track and one on the folder. Same thing with my "Back vocal" folder, etc.....

Drums are a little different. I'll have my kik, snare, and overheads in a folder, but I do EQ each drum individually. I put a compressor on the whole kit (folder), though, not on individual drums. I also, copy my overhead track, and then go through it, cutting out everything except my toms, and end up with a separate tom track, which is also in the folder.

Bass is bass. It's usually the only thing that isn't in a folder because it's just one track by itself.

Cool. I haven't tried reaper but I'm guessing the folders are like a bus maybe then the sends I know what you mean. So mostly you treat things in groups, IE the guitars get alot of the same treatment but with some special here and there if needed.

thanks for the info sir

So mostly you treat things in groups, IE the guitars get alot of the same treatment but with some special here and there if needed.

thanks for the info sir
No problem, man.

Yes and no. I don't treat all the guitars the same. I usually end up with a "Git 1/2" folder and "Git 3/4" folder. I'll put guitar tracks are the "same guitar" together, if you know what I mean. One might have more effects than the other one, and they might not have the same EQ needs, etc....

Same with vocals. I don't just have one "Vocals" folder. I usually end up having a "Lead vox" folder and a "Bax" folder. They'll also be treated differently from each other.

Listened to last track. Good tones on everything so far. Impossible to say this wasn't recorded like that. Reamping is going well. The other tunes I've listened to tonight are like cranked - everybody's starting to master nowadays lol. This was a nice break on my tired ears haha.

RAMI,

I usually don't respond to posts because there are a lot 'more qualified' musicians that are willing to do so. But, in this case...I have to say that I really like your idea. Not that you want advice from me, but I would continue with your original idea. Build the song the way you normally would and don't change a thing, unless circumstances dictate it. Whether you decide to keep editing the first post or make a new post with each addition, I will be very interested in following your progression.

Unlike you, I normally save everything because I like to compare my original ideas to my completed songs. I am seriously OCD, and often may make hundreds of changes. For example, I am currently working on a tune that is approaching 50 takes (changes/additions). Is this typical for many or most home studio musicians? The down side is it may take me months to complete one song. I will be following your progress...

Listened to last track. Good tones on everything so far. Impossible to say this wasn't recorded like that. Reamping is going well. The other tunes I've listened to tonight are like cranked - everybody's starting to master nowadays lol. This was a nice break on my tired ears haha.
Thanx Ido. If done properly, I can't see how anyone would be able to tell guitars were re-amped. I think you just got to make sure that when you track, you use as close a sound to what you want the finished product to sound like. So, I did take some time tweaking the sim before I laid down a track, and I played to that sound.

RAMI,

I usually don't respond to posts because there are a lot 'more qualified' musicians that are willing to do so. But, in this case...I have to say that I really like your idea. Not that you want advice from me, but I would continue with your original idea. Build the song the way you normally would and don't change a thing, unless circumstances dictate it. Whether you decide to keep editing the first post or make a new post with each addition, I will be very interested in following your progression.

Unlike you, I normally save everything because I like to compare my original ideas to my completed songs. I am seriously OCD, and often may make hundreds of changes. For example, I am currently working on a tune that is approaching 50 takes (changes/additions). Is this typical for many or most home studio musicians? The down side is it may take me months to complete one song. I will be following your progress...
Thanx a lot, Up. I'll keep the thread going, but I can't record much for another week or so. So, I'll revive it when I get around to adding drums and vocals. :cool:

There are some that can have an afternoon off, record drums, bass, four guitar parts plus lead, lay down vocals and harmonies, mix and have gorgeous sound in 4 hours. Trust me, it's not the norm...

I've been working on a 5 song EP since August (the tunes were all written and ready with midi tracks playing) and I'm only now getting the mixes to sound like I want them to with the real parts played in on two of the songs. Two more just have vocals and bass and are waiting for drum/guitar/mix. I seem to have a problem adding mids to my mixes. Also, I tend to over compress my stuff. But knowing and admitting our shortcomings leads to bigger and better, right? :D

Yeah, I forgot to address that point.

Many of my songs finish the way I heard them in my head. But there are lots of them that change drastically by the time they're done. Sometimes I even think a song's finished, and then lying in bed something will hit me and I'll go "Yes. THAT'S how it should start, and then the bridge should go here, and THIS is how the chorus should go". So, I'll pretty much re-work it and either edit the hell out of what I already recorded, or re-record much of the song.

Ah man, I'm not able to edit the first post any more. It would have been nice to be able to have all the files in order in the first post, like I was doing.

Anyway, I was bored and I can't play drums for another week, so I programmed some drum machine drums for this. It's temporary, but at least it's less annoying than just that generic beat, and it's more or less the way the drums will be played in the tune.

Attachments

• Temp Drum Machine.mp3
    8.3 MB · Views: 10
Ah man, I'm not able to edit the first post any more. It would have been nice to be able to have all the files in order in the first post, like I was doing.

I can edit, but I can't figure how to copy the attachment to the first post. I'll keep working at it.

I thought the limit for editing posts in MP3 clinic was changed to 3 months? Was that not implemented?

Seems something got lost...

I thought the limit for editing posts in MP3 clinic was changed to 3 months? Was that not implemented?

Seems something got lost...
Nah, like everything that's discussed, it never got implemented. It was fun to talk about though.

I don't think it would be that hard to put them in the right order in the first post. Just move it to the other end of the list. I'd do it if I could get in there. :D

Just added a quick vocal idea. I still might add harmonies in the chorus.

None of the instruments are treated yet at ll. This is all no EQ, compression, reverb, etc.....The only things I took some time to do is levels and panning. And, of course, I will replace the drum machine with real drums soon.

Man, I wish I could get into that first post and add this file to it and put them in order. I can't believe we still can't do that after all the useless discussion about it.

Anyway, looks like this might be called "Devil and the Deep Blue Sea":

Attachments

• Scratch vocals.mp3
    8.3 MB · Views: 5
I listened to the last file listed (git 3...) in the first post and was about to respond, then saw you'd included a file in your last post, so I then listened to that...

Those drums in scratch vocals.mp3 aren't the same as in the git3reamped...mp3, are they? They're all from a drum machine, though? Why did you swap ersatz drums for ersatz drums?

Vocals sound great, so does the "fizzy" guitar. Drums are the weak link, which I'm sure you have plans to fix when you do the live ones.

Back