Track off new album: "Theory of Relativity"

famous beagle

Hey everyone, my band just finished recording our first album, and I wanted to hear thoughts on the mixes/mastering/song/etc.

This is the opening track.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 01 Theory of Relativity.mp3
    6.6 MB · Views: 35
Reactions: XLR
Great song! Everything sound pretty damned good. The only thing I noticed is that the snare could be more up front.. It sounds too far in the background compared to the rest of the drums. Vocals are terriffic and do justice to a memorable melody.

I love me some Beagle! Why are you not famous? LOL!

Seriously, I love the vibe of the tune. Even though I am a metal guy at heart, I have always loved Jellyfish. Ironically, never been a Beatles fan. Go figure... This reminds me of the songwriting that made me a true fan.

I will buy a copy when you finish.

I would like to hear some harmonies. Maybe some subdued synth stuff. Just barely audible, but enough to create some airy tone in the background.

I still like it without and not sure I have anything to nit. Looking forward to hearing more.

My first reaction is to bring down the lead vox. Later on, not so much, but then again, yeah. So, some automation might help.

Definitely not main stream and I really like that. Nice little tune, but great arrangement.

Thanks for sharing.

Melodically it reminds of You Am I - particularly Hourly Daily.
I think it's also the vocal style, which is similar to Tim Rogers though he's a little more rasped.
Not a rip/steal or unconscious resemblance - just a melodic & vocal style.
I found the synth a little too loud for its panned position.
Good song, nice bit of left field arrangement and good perfromances.
Cool stuff!

This is just a personal thing, but the vocals could come down closer to, but still above the music. It still sounds really good. So, my comment is just a personal one.

This is why I like this board. So many great artists! This should be the place people come to to listen to good new music.

Good stuff Beagle Man!

Bongoboy: Thanks for the listen and the kind words!

Jimmys69: A Jellyfish fan that doesn't like the Beatles? That's an oddball for sure! :) There are actually harmonies in two spots (on the "We remain oblivious... " line, but they were mixed a little low for my taste. If we get another shot at it, I'd like them a bit hotter as well. The digital album is on sale now at our bandcamp page (Sun City | Sun City), and we'll have physical CDs an be on itunes, amazon, etc. in another week or so. Thanks!

Chili: Thanks! We went back and forth on the lead vocal and kept getting differing opinions on it. I agree it's on the hotter side.

rayc: Never heard of You Am I ... interesting. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the listen!

DM60: Thanks for listening! Really appreciate it. :)

Jellyfish is the best band that no one ever heard of. One of my major influences. Manning and Sturmer are geniuses. Too bad they ended up hating each others guts.

Jellyfish is the best band that no one ever heard of. One of my major influences. Manning and Sturmer are geniuses. Too bad they ended up hating each others guts.

Yeah, I feel more pain from that separation than any other band I can think of. Even the ones that offed themselves.

I must say, I was sold on Sturmer and Manning when I saw them on the Jellyfish tour. 200 standing venue and I was blown away up front. I still find myself searching for children's songs, just to hear more from Andy. I still follow Manning's releases, but I just had some connection with Sturmers ability to make fun of things, while poetically getting his point across.

"Intermission gave way to a miracle
The birth of an accident grew to a spectacle
That couldn't wait the mother was three weeks late
So Father Mason clutching his crucifix
Baptized the baby in whiskey and licorice
What a lovely way drowning sins in tooth decay

Looks like our hero's gonna fall
The bow's about to break
'Cause any ol' way that I fall
I'll be in your arms as we lie awake
With our lovely new mistake

You better catch me when I fall
My sugar trampoline
'Cause any ol' way that I fall
I land in your arms even though it's wrong
'Cause I love my new mistake".

-Jellyfish 1993.

That and old Helloween (Keeper Of The Seven Keys part I and II) records move me for some reason. Strange huh? :) Hey Jude don't grab me. Weird I be. Funny though, I have found many 'metal' guys that love Jellyfish. Maybe there is hope....

It's creative, expressive, rhythmically tight, intelligent. The main vocal has an engaging character to it besides being in tune and articulate (I'm not hearing pitch correction, so if it was used good work there).

The drums... I wish they had a ballsier sound. The vocal sounds nicely balanced but the instrumental submix overall would be better with more strength in the lower mids. I know this is a moot point as it's already done, so I'm just sayin'. :)

It's creative, expressive, rhythmically tight, intelligent. The main vocal has an engaging character to it besides being in tune and articulate (I'm not hearing pitch correction, so if it was used good work there).

The drums... I wish they had a ballsier sound. The vocal sounds nicely balanced but the instrumental submix overall would be better with more strength in the lower mids. I know this is a moot point as it's already done, so I'm just sayin'. :)

Thanks for the listen Tim! No correction, you're right.

It seems a common theme is that the rest of the band could have been brought up a bit or the vocal could have come down a tad. Maybe that would have helped give the drums a bit more balls too. Oh well, you can't please everyone! :)

Back