Tots: Surfboard (new wave/punk)

WarmJetGuitar

Surfboard by tots | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Lately I had the pleasure of recording these guys at my small analog studio. They're kind of punk and new wave, to my ears there's a bit of The Cars, Libertines and Television to their sound but that's highly subjective I guess.
Recorded with drums, bass and rhythm guitar live in one room. Bass is DI'ed through an old Yamaha desk with sexy sounding preamps and a TL Audio 5021 compressor. The guitar was (almost) isolated from the drum tracks by putting it behind a flight case and keeping the AC30 at low levels. It was double tracked later with the AC30 being allowed to play at the level it deserves.
We imitating Roy Thomas Bakers backing vox on Cars and Queen by having tree vocalists doing the same thing several times and then bouncing it to one track on the tape deck. Think we made it to 15 voices this time but will go to further excess on another track later.

Hope you like it. Perhaps this mix will end up on the EP but I'm open to suggestions that can improve the mix. Mastered in Adobe Audition as I don't have the tools to do that in analog. Hopefully the EP will be mastered by someone who is actually a mastering engineer with nicer tools.

The mid-range feels a little cluttered.

I get the surf-rock thing you're going for with the piles of vocals and the reverb, but it's pretty messy.

Could use more low end too, I think.

Cool song, but could stand cleaning up overall. Tho it's some kind of punk, so who knows! :D

The mid-range feels a little cluttered.

I get the surf-rock thing you're going for with the piles of vocals and the reverb, but it's pretty messy.

Could use more low end too, I think.

Cool song, but could stand cleaning up overall. Tho it's some kind of punk, so who knows! :D

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps I exaggerated the lowcut in mastering. Can I send you the unprocessed mix?

I like the feel alot, sounds like a band playing which isn't as simple as it sounds. The high end seems hyped to me, the guitars sound harsh at times. I like the sound of the vocals, but they could be more clear-words are hard to make out. I'd like to hear the pre-mastered mix...Some sound pops out of the right speaker halfway through the song-sounds kind of odd-are those backround vocals? I like the song alot-band sounds great. Nice job recording and mixing this, if anything i question the mastering. Nice work!

Back