Toto - Africa Cover

ZANDER1994

Decided to do an Africa cover for fun :-) Also I was wondering if you guys think that my mixing abilities based on this are good enough to help out in the "Mix This" section. I always feel like I'm getting to the point where I can help others and then someone comes along and really puts me in my place :facepalm:

The soundcloud version

The absence of bass strikes me as odd. Is bass really necessary in all songs? Maybe not. But the fact it isn't here in this track was the first thing I noticed.

Chorus needs more vocal tracks (or maybe some creative use of reverb/delay/stereo chorus to allow the two tracks to blend more into one another to fill up the sound stage more). The punch in the original is those epic sweet harmonies, and right now those two tracks of vox just aren't cutting it. Don't be afraid of a little vamping on that outro!

Production wise it's good. You might be able to get more from the kick, giving it more punch. The keyboard parts could come up in the mix some, and only for those sections where it's serving as the lead instrument.

The strengths here are the raw verse vocals (which fit well) and the overall performance.

As for 'qualifying' to respond to posts in here... If you respond honestly to people's mixes you can only be of benefit, even if you're completely off the mark! :p

It sounds ok and quite a nice silly video. Unfortunately I'm not really into Disney channel style pop covers of old 80s classics LOL. I think I threw up in my mouth a little. The mix itself is a decent sounding mix. Keep in mind it doesn't sound bad, it just doesn't sound "professional" what ever that means. I've heard much worst sounding recordings of much better music :thumbs up:

I remember seeing/hearing this cover done before........ it is a good example of what went missing when the bass is left out. You guys gave it a good go but I'm somewhat spoiled after hearing this cover already...

I remember seeing/hearing this cover done before........ it is a good example of what went missing when the bass is left out. You guys gave it a good go but I'm somewhat spoiled after hearing this cover already...

Wow ... those guys can sing -- great tone and delivery -- exceptional!

Back