"Toss It All Behind" A tale of unrequited

Nice tune. Stuff's getting masked, though, when the mix gets busy. Sounds better when it's in the sparse sections. There's a background instrument/sound that's probably an organ that's the chief culprit, I think. Try muting it and see if stuff jump out in clarity.

Originally, I had it WAY more back. I'll give it a listen. Good thoughts, P ... and thanks.

K-

The sidestick is too loud/reverby for me, and the hi-hat and cymbals in the quieter parts are too loud, too.. During the louder part, I agree with it being a bit busy - the choppy guitar on the left is part of it.
The end probalby goes on too long and could be faded out by 4:15

The sidestick is too loud/reverby for me, and the hi-hat and cymbals in the quieter parts are too loud, too.. During the louder part, I agree with it being a bit busy - the choppy guitar on the left is part of it.
The end probalby goes on too long and could be faded out by 4:15

Would drier by better? Or lower be better?

I also forwarded the git you mention because I liked the performance ... too loud? Should it be blended back?

Yeah. Some vox are getting a little buried. I think the lead/acousticy guitar in the verses might be a bit forward. On cans, the fact that it's two takes hard-panned really sticks out.

I like the busyness of the mix. Lots of stuff going on. Cool trumpet part.

Drums are a bit repetitive. It's really just the one beat with side-stick vs. center hits and a few rare fills and stops.

Last edited:
Yeah. Some vox are getting a little buried. I think the lead/acousticy guitar in the verses might be a bit forward. On cans, the fact that it's two takes hard-panned really sticks out.

I like the busyness of the mix. Lots of stuff going on. Cool trumpet part.

Drums are a bit repetitive. It's really just the one beat with side-stick vs. center hits and a few rare fills and stops.

I did keep the drums subdued because of the busyness (which you mentioned) of the rest of the parts. I originally had the vocal quite a bit more forward and the instrumentation back ... but changed that to bring the musical performances out more.

So I particularly wondered about my decision to forward the acoustic guitar and blend down the lead vocal. Thanks for the mention, bud.

K-

I enjoyed this song. Fantastic vocal and I love the trumpet. The only nits I have is the rim shot or stick is too loud and high pitched and the bass drum is buried.

good song and recording.

I enjoyed this song. Fantastic vocal and I love the trumpet. The only nits I have is the rim shot or stick is too loud and high pitched and the bass drum is buried.

good song and recording.

I agree with both your nit, Jimi ... and will attend. Thanks bud.

New Mix-

Kick more forward and clicky
Snare down several db
Acc Git down a db
Vocal up a db
Rhythm elect panned a little further left and down a db
Organ down 2 db

I think this mix is a lot better. The bass drum is in the mix now. not too heavy.. .I don't think this tune calls for a prominent heavy bass drum...it is just right now. The rim shot sounds better. It seems to sound louder on the quieter passages and then when you sing louder vocal parts it seems to go back in the mix. Do you have compression on the entire mix? Just wondering.

Yeah, this mix is better. Isn't it interesting? A good mix is the sum total of a hundred attentions to detail.

I really like this song. The vocals reminded me of Bowie. Definitely preferred the second mix. The bass player is terrific! I prefer hear more bass, but that could be down to the fact that I'm a bassist. The drums have an 80s synth feel. I'm assuming they are MIDI. More variation and fills would help. I liked the horn but felt the outro could have ended sooner.

Mix is good, seemed a tad bright to my ears. I agree with the the comment in regards to a little more bass. But I could understand not doing that as it may change the feel of the song.

I think this mix is a lot better. The bass drum is in the mix now. not too heavy.. .I don't think this tune calls for a prominent heavy bass drum...it is just right now. The rim shot sounds better. It seems to sound louder on the quieter passages and then when you sing louder vocal parts it seems to go back in the mix. Do you have compression on the entire mix? Just wondering.

I do ... I mix to get the balances and levels right, but then polish the finished mix a little further using the Isotope mastering suite in Sound Forge 11.

---------- Update ----------

Yeah, this mix is better. Isn't it interesting? A good mix is the sum total of a hundred attentions to detail.

Truer words have not been spoken, P.

Back