Tom Petty cover - Steenamaroo

I kind of avoided this because I am a big Petty fan. Not saying he is the greatest, but his delivery is pretty much, his style. But, ... had to listen.

I think your vocals were louder than they should be (seemed fine in the chorus), should sit just over the music, up front, but not so up front.

Other than that, I got nothing but praise. In regards to the performance, Petty does this pretty much mono tone, I don't think you did it any different.

Other than not having enough nasally sound like ol' TP and vocals a little high, I think it rather a fine job, performance and mix.

Well done Honorary old fart!

I kind of avoided this because I am a big Petty fan. Not saying he is the greatest, but his delivery is pretty much, his style. But, ... had to listen.

I think your vocals were louder than they should be (seemed fine in the chorus), should sit just over the music, up front, but not so up front.

Other than that, I got nothing but praise. In regards to the performance, Petty does this pretty much mono tone, I don't think you did it any different.

Other than not having enough nasally sound like ol' TP and vocals a little high, I think it rather a fine job, performance and mix.

Well done Honorary old fart!

Thanks DM60!
It's dodgy territory doing covers I suppose, and Petty does have a unique tone and delivery that I was never going to emulate.
I'm glad you think I got away with my own take on it, though. That means a lot.

I think there's a middle ground to be had - As you say Petty is kinda monotone through this..It reminds me a little of something the Chili Peppers would do but, as mentioned, I know I'm not always the most convincing at the mic.

If anyone remembers the George Harrison cover I did, I was pretty happy with the vocal on it before I asked anyone, whereas I did feel that this one was a little rigid and it would do.

If you guys could hear my speaking voice you'd probably laugh out loud - This kind of cover couldn't be any less natural to me! :p

Thanks for this late surge of listens guys. It's really appreciated. :)

---------- Update ----------

Completely selfish, I assure you. If you are encouraged, we get to hear more!

Haha! I love it.
I've been racking my brains for something to do next, although I always say that. :(

Hopefully I'll not be away for too long.
Thanks again.

Try adding some reverb to the snare and the drums overall. It will give it depth..... Also the little parts that you are doing with the vocals (woo hoo) things need to be bigger. They are lost and they add a lot to the overall feel. I suggest duplicating them and panning them to get a bigger feel.This could be my favorite Petty song!! Nice job

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. Did you listen to the most recent link? (not soundcloud)

The woo hoo vocals are recorded twice and panned hard left/right but I agree that they sound out of place slightly.
It was mentioned before, and the reason is that they should be a subtle background part during a lead harmonica part, but I didn't record the harmonica! :p

Thanks for listening. Hope you enjoyed it. :)

Not been around much lately so completely missed this one, along with lots of others. Great tune and choice of cover.

I think you've done a cracking job. I rally like the tone on the guitar, it sounds like Rory Gallagher's Strat tone. Awesome!

A deserved bump :thumbs up:

Hey clean! How you doing, buddy?

Thanks for the listen.
That guitar tone is from the little DIY amp I made a few years ago. Kip4 made one too, if you remember?

Back