Tips & Tricks

Cajmiere

hi...i'm kind of new to this board...i would like to know if someone give me feedback on a song that i recently recorded...this isn't for a song review...i mainly just want to know what could be done better in the mixing stage in order to achieve a better end product...i'm pretty satisfied with how the chorus sounds...but the verse is where i'm kind of thrown off...it doesn't sound as "fat...or wide...or blend as well" as the chorus does...i'm using a very small amount of equipment...i have a Studio Project B1 mic...running to a M-Audio Firewire Solo (used as my soundcard)...and the rest is software...i have a great amount of plugins...yea but if anybody could help...it would be greatly appreciated as to i'm still learning new tricks

What It Is (Click Here)
^^^the song

Well I think your kick has a little too much "pop" in it. You might have to EQ it or just use a whole different kick all together. It should be deeper or perhaps a bassline (which it doesnt sound like you have) would compliment it. Your whole sound would be a lot fuller if you had a nice round low end, even if its just a constant E on the bass along with the kick.

i'm sorry...i should have explained a bit more...the beat isn't mine...i'm going to be making a beat for it...i just wanted to know about the vocal end of the recording if possible...but thanks for your comment

Vox are right on the money. Nice mixing, tone and effect (performance and lyrics are good too).

thank you to all of you...i really appreciate the feedback...i guess i'll just continue with what i'm doing...ummm...i'll be back to see what you think when i get the new beat put to the vocals

Tite

Nice groove...

'You aint gangsta boy - that's just not how you liiaaauuve"

The chorus is tight. Beat is trippin' me out. Who's your vocal producer?

i did everything myself here at home...i'm surprised that everybody thinks i have a lot of equipment...those vocals came from like...$300 worth of equipment

Let's hear it

What equipment did you use? Maybe it just fits your voice well but the sound is tighter than you usually hear with a home recording...

Northside...i would love to have the amount of equipment you have...well not everything...cuz i only do rap and r&b mainly as of now...but how long did it take you to get all of that?...also...i do graphic design if you need a website done...get at me and i'll show you my portfolio and give you a quote

My 'Stuff'

My first album was sponsored in 1995 and my first small tour I played when I was only 16, which was the same year I seriously picked up the guitar... (over ten years now yeesh), but working in TV for a few years, I was too busy to play out with a band :( On the bright side I got more and more into electronics.

Luckily, between the engineers I worked with there was literally over 100 years of audio/video engineering experience. A lot of questions, books & website tutorials later...

Most of my stuff came from someone else's trash heap and was fixed by me, or was built from scratch by me. Even my recording/video/animation computer was built part by part. Yes, I'm a busy man. Oh yeah, that's not even an updated list of equipment...

I have dabbled in recording for as long as I have held an instrument in my hand, but my studio was built in the last 2-3 years with help from bands that crave my style of composing/arranging/producing/engineering. 10+ years heavily involved in ALL styles of music including touring jazz & rock musician, rapper, and classical composer seems to help. I usually know how to play all of the songs on all of the instruments and have filled in parts for bands... Shows I have directed have gotten broadcast awards too, if that matters.

I do write my own websites from scratch and have had a few of them, but working for myself leaves me NO time nowadays for web stuff... Except for this forum of course. :D

Last edited:
oh that's what's up...i haven't been actually been producing for that long...i'd say maybe 2 years seriously...and have only been able to get a good sound out of my equipment for about 2 months...i'm still building my home studio up tho...so in about another year...i'll be done...i don't plan on adding too much more stuff...mainly just decorating and adding non related music stuff (tv, dvd player, surround sound, etc...)...yea...but thanks for all the feed back...and i'll be gettin at you if i need more help

Back