"The time is Magic"

amp used: peavey jsx mini colossal, run direct out:
mini_c_session.jpg

guitar used: vintage white usacg strat with BL pickups:
IMG_4643.jpg

Can't say anything except for I loved every second of this! If I had to be picky I'd say the drumming sounded a touch "canned", but the song is an ear worm and we all were bopping to it.

Can't say anything except for I loved every second of this! If I had to be picky I'd say the drumming sounded a touch "canned", but the song is an ear worm and we all were bopping to it.

alright yellow, thanks man!
from saving this poor simple thread from a life of total obscurity...
slaving in the shadows, just to be buried under a thousand years of debris.......

LOL

yea, drums are canned, by design.
the sound of those guys is intended to work as the opener to the NEXT song, which has got the big huge drums....
it's kinda like a sonic teaser.

The rhythm and beat of the song combined with the lead guitar playing was sugar to my ears.

Hopefully others will enjoy. But now I need to hear what this is the teaser for ...

What a great bass line, oh man! I really enjoyed this one too, imaginatively progressive in the middle. Great job with the sound of the toms. Vocals fit perfectly throughout. There are times when the rhythm guitar on the left could be clearer, but that's all I can pick at! 6 minutes and 10 seconds disappeared.

Thanks for sharing - this follows "Magic" like a lightning bolt.
Timbo

What a great bass line, oh man! I really enjoyed this one too, imaginatively progressive in the middle. Great job with the sound of the toms. Vocals fit perfectly throughout. There are times when the rhythm guitar on the left could be clearer, but that's all I can pick at! 6 minutes and 10 seconds disappeared.

Thanks for sharing - this follows "Magic" like a lightning bolt.
Timbo

hey yellow,
yes, lightning bolt was the intended effect!!
LOL

thanks man

Sounds great, obviously lots of care taken with everything. I would kill for that wah sound. I like the idea of a walking bass line in a track like this too. You do a good job with the thick layered vocals. Anything I could say is personal opinion. The drums are great but I wonder what it would sound like with giant, ringing, open drums like in this Soundgarden track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c1PML5kfbg

Just walked away is great. The first song isn't up anymore. Too bad. Wanted to listen.

Absolutely killer musicianship. You are for sure amongst the most accomplished of us on this board when it comes to the maturity and refinement of your playing, your writing and your production skills.

However...

Vocals are very sibilant, high-endy and harsh. Other than the vocals, it all sounds really outstanding. I know what you are going to say about the vocals because I have seen you object to this critique from others (and maybe myself) before. If I may offer the following, I very much think it is time for you to have an open mind and take to heart what some people are getting from your vocal treatment. You are going to say that the sweet spot for them being present and cutting through is the same range that the sibilance lives. How it comes across to the listener however, is harsh and unpleasant in an otherwise really professional sounding and refined production. You have a great voice that is full of character and swagger. I wish you featured it better.

Sorry if my bluntness is offensive and of course you may not agree at all (it will be a shame if you just brush this off though), but I believe that sugar coating is disrespectful and I think you can take an honest opinion. Hopefully you consider it carefully, for what it is worth.

Sounds great, obviously lots of care taken with everything. I would kill for that wah sound. I like the idea of a walking bass line in a track like this too. You do a good job with the thick layered vocals. Anything I could say is personal opinion. The drums are great but I wonder what it would sound like with giant, ringing, open drums like in this Soundgarden track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c1PML5kfbg

thanks for listening, chuck....
the wah, that's a Budda Wah.

i've gone thru a bunch of wahs,
that's the one i like the most......... today.
LOL

i think the time is magic, is at it's heart, just a funk groove..
big rock drums just wouldn't fit the way i wanted the beat to be tight and groovy..
interesting idea tho

Just walked away is great. The first song isn't up anymore. Too bad. Wanted to listen.

Absolutely killer musicianship. You are for sure amongst the most accomplished of us on this board when it comes to the maturity and refinement of your playing, your writing and your production skills.

However...

Vocals are very sibilant, high-endy and harsh. Other than the vocals, it all sounds really outstanding. I know what you are going to say about the vocals because I have seen you object to this critique from others (and maybe myself) before. If I may offer the following, I very much think it is time for you to have an open mind and take to heart what some people are getting from your vocal treatment. You are going to say that the sweet spot for them being present and cutting through is the same range that the sibilance lives. How it comes across to the listener however, is harsh and unpleasant in an otherwise really professional sounding and refined production. You have a great voice that is full of character and swagger. I wish you featured it better.

Sorry if my bluntness is offensive and of course you may not agree at all (it will be a shame if you just brush this off though), but I believe that sugar coating is disrespectful and I think you can take an honest opinion. Hopefully you consider it carefully, for what it is worth.

hi fishy,
sorry you missed the other one,
but glad you found one you could dig on...

hey, i dig straight up opinions, so it's cool if you want to critique the vox mix,
it's good for me to hear.

not offensive at all...

i will say, that more people have commented that they like the vocal sound, than have commented that they don't.
that's not to say there's nothing to it,
i DO record vox pretty hot, and i probably had too much closeness to the mic, and didn't dial it in with the de esser like i should.

i'll focus more on vox eq in the future, for sure.

Back