Time

Bulls Hit

Not the Pink Floyd version. I haven't listened to this mix in the car yet so there will still need to be some sanding done. I'm interested in your first impression of the tonal balance, and anything else that might stick out. Any observations or suggestions would be great

**remixed here

Last edited:
Top notch stuff. Cool song, arrangement and especially vocal. The lead vocal is very forward as it should be, but blends well. I got nothing.

The whole thing sounds dark - and on some level it fits like a glove. But maybe there is a bit of a competition going on for those lower mids or upper bass registers here. I dunno. There is a bit of mud. Maybe try to get more highs out of the drums? The drum part where the hats comes in is quite refreshing in this regard.

Love the way the vocals and instruments blend at 1:50 - the 'don't waste my time' part. Mix-wise, that is a real great moment in the song.

Sounds great, really cool song. A lot of interesting guitar sounds I think haha. Really edgy weird sounds that you managed to put a great boomy rumbling backbeat to. I like the bass and drums nice thick sound they make together. Vocals sound great coming over the top of that big background. Compression/ distortion? All the words are even and audible. The mix could be more high endy hi fi sounding in general but I think the mix fits the song really well as is. Nothing much to add except I'm on my 4th listen and it's still interesting to listen to.

Robus - Yes listening again today, the vocal is a little too forward in some places. I'll do some tweaks. Thanks man

ibleedburgundy - It actually ended up a lot darker than I was going for and you're right I think the lack of crispness in the drums is playing a big part. I mixed them differently this time and they sort of got away on me. Hey thanks for the listen

Stratomaster
- Four listens wow!:D I did run the vocals through a preamp/limiter on the way in and then high passed them but there's no distortion. Yeah the lo-fi nature wasn't deliberate, just how it's turned out. Thanks for the kind words, appreciate it

Great song!
I love the arrangement and your choice of sounds. Very unique and original sounding. I can tell you put a lot of thought and work into this piece. If there is anything to nitpick about it, I guess I would agree with IBB that the mix is a little on the dark side without much high end sizzle anywhere. That may have been your intent because it doesn't sound bad...as in muddiness.
fantastic job man!

...If there is anything to nitpick about it, I guess I would agree with IBB that the mix is a little on the dark side without much high end sizzle anywhere.

That's exactly where I'm at with it. I thought that the drums entrance into the song was lacking. Can hardly hear the hats. In fact, the whole kit sounds pretty far back. At least if the hats were up and eq'd, there'd be some sheen to the whole thing.

I actually got some cool ideas for a tune from this. :) Good song man

Drums are heavy in room/reverb, but cymbals are low in the mix.
Are you using a 5 or 6 string bass with some pretty low strings, I think what's causing a low mud rumble to me. Its better on headphones, but still muddy.

Hey Bull, I like your creativity a lot. The mix has a few issues but it's not too bad. Mostly the low end build up (this might be genre specific and desired? do you want that much low end?) but to me it's a bit overwhelming. It reminds me of like NIN and some rap/electronica elements combined. The guitar tone is odd and scooped. It fits the genre but is strange sounding. A few vocal lines are flat but I don't care too much about that stuff, but others might. Overall, I made it though and was engaged the entire time, which is a huge win. Good job.

dig this one....
i think i'd mix the vox hotter.

cool grungy bass track.....
reminds me a bit of QOTSA

i think you could focus on getting the kick and bass to mix better..
and that will take care of any low mid mud.
a bit of brightening of the vox and drums should get the tonal balance closer

jimistone - Yeah I've done a remix and shifted some of the darkness out of there. Thanks for the feedback jimi

andrushkiwt - I went back and applied some EQ to the overheads, restored some sizzle. Thanks for the spin - good to hear it managed to spawn some ideas!

mjbphotos - Yes it is actually a 5 string bass. In fact the rhythm guitar is tuned to drop C, so the whole thing is at the bottom end of the lower register - something I didn't factor in when I was mixing. Thank God for the mp3 clinic!

Nola - Hey that's great that you got through the whole thing :D - I know this kind of mix isn't really your cup of tea. Hopefully the remix is an improvement. Thanks man.

GONZO-X - I think you're comments are spot on. in fact I sat down, got the manual out and finally figured out how to wire up sidechain compression to duck the bass. I think it has improved it. Thanks for the insight

always like your stuff

listening to the remix it still sounds dark to me...the first guitar lick that comes in sounds a little high and the vox a little low at first...otherwise its your vibe and I dig it like a hip cat ;)

Back