Time

Oh my, so when I've finished mixing it I have to master it too.
I live and learn.
Ok I have another mix for your delights, it may be that I have gone too far in some areas and I seemed to be turning everything up so I took a step back and started again.
https://soundcloud.com/twampy/time9714

For me, mastering is just slamming it with a limiter. :) Your mix is loud enough, so I wouldn't worry about "mastering" for now.

I think the mix is improving. The frequency balance is much better. I might prefer a stronger low end. But it's kind of down to a personal preference at this point.

The drums sound very robotic and programmed. I think you're going to need some practice at it.

The other thing I'd point out is, that despite being loud enough, the mix still seems small. You've got decent crunch guitars, but they're not full. The lead guitar tones are all thin sounding. I'd start working on your sounds on the guitars. Work on dialing in fuller tones. Play with mic positions. etc.

You're using quite a bit of reverb still. If that's the sound you like, then of course that's fine. But the reverb makes it sound like you're listening to someone's stereo down the hall. I'm exaggerating, but you get the point. Dryer can sound more upfront. Just a thought.

You don't need to start a new thread for every mix, you know. You can post in the original one. People will find it.

Twampy, what MC stated is the best approach. Shows what has been stated and the progress. With that said, I would suggest bringing everything down and not pushing everything up. Sounds like there is clipping, distortion (not the good kind). Are you seeing the Master meter turning red?

The song is good, the voice sounds good. Need to bring it down to give it some room to move. If it is too quiet, then we can turn up the song on our end. We all have amps that go to 11, so not a problem. ;) Don't worry about it competing with commercial music right now, just get it to sound good first.

And put the update in your original.

Sorry Mr Clean,
I'll keep the new mixes on this thread. I'm just keen to complete this song, I am determined to get this one right and I am treating it as a lesson well learned. I have really appreciated the comments so far.
By the way I see on here a few posts where people have embedded the sound cloud tacks into their posts, how do you do that?
https://soundcloud.com/twampy/time-reduced

Hey twampy, to embed you can either put a [SOUNDCLOD] and a [/SOUNDCLOD] before and after your link url (but spelt properly obviously) or click 'go advanced' at the bottom of the posting box and look for the little orange soundcloud icon.

Can't listen to your tune now, but will try to next time on my PC hooked up to speakers.

I do appologise, I have finally posted my update in the correct original thread.
Sorry for being such a pain in the but, I promise to be much more organised in future.
This is my latest remix of Time, I have done my best to remove the fog and I have lowered the levels to get rid of the clipping, the only thing that goes into the red now is the odd snare.
https://soundcloud.com/twampy/time-reduced

Hey twampy, to embed you can either put a [SOUNDCLOD] and a [/SOUNDCLOD] before and after your link url (but spelt properly obviously) or click 'go advanced' at the bottom of the posting box and look for the little orange soundcloud icon.

Can't listen to your tune now, but will try to next time on my PC hooked up to speakers.

Soundclod is the site I use. You get a discount.

I hear some Sniff and the Tears, Uriah Heep, Warren Zevon, nice mixture of sounds.

I am still hearing some pulsing in the overall mix. It is starting to open up and getting better, but it still seems like there is some clipping and unintended compressor pumping going on.

You are getting there.

Back