"Thunder" - Instrumental Prog-Rock

stivens1991

Hi,

Recently I've recorded a instrumental track in my home studio. It would be very helpful if you could tell me what issues do you hear in the mix? Levels? Freqs?

km7.wav - Google Drive

Stuff I used:

Schecter Demon FR7 with EMGs 707
Focusrite 2i2
Spectrasonics Trillian
EZDrummer 2 (Progressive)
Grind Machine II VST on guitars

bunch of free VST plugins.

Thanks!
Przemek.

I thought some of the tracks sounded pretty good. There is a crunch guitar on the left side that I liked. There were some other crunch guitars that sounded good too. Maybe just a bit too much gain. They sounded like amp sims, but decent ones.

Some of the tracks are really saturated in reverb and tremelo. A bit too much I think. The guitar in the intro was a bit rumbly.

The drum samples are a bit grating. The cymbals are really sizzly. If you have a high boost on them, I'd remove it. If not, I would go with other sounds. The attack on the snare/kick/toms is a little clacky.

You set a real cool atmosphere tho. The parts are pretty intricate and well thought out.

There's a disconnect between some of the guitar reverb which sounds like the guitars are being played in a cavern and the drums which have more of a hall reverb on them. Just a bit too much reverb for me

Really cool idea you have. The other posts nailed it. I was going to comment on how the the low-end reverb kind of drowns everything out. I think there's a reverb balance you can strike that could be more suitable for your song. Maybe use some doubled tracks with delay/reverb on the secondary/tertiary track, or use some predelay on the reverb plugin to ensure the clarity of your instruments can be heard without being lost. EQing reverb is also a good way to use it effectively. Those would be my thoughts going in to make changes. Hope this helps!

Back