Throwback!

Farview

From an old band of mine, when I was impersonating a drummer...

The band was called Fugue, the song called Descention.

The balance is good, but the vocal could use a bit more clarity. I can make out what she's singing when she belts it out, but otherwise, it's more difficult.

The drumkit sounds good to my ears, but the effect you have on the snare takes it slightly outside the rest of the kit - the snare sounds different from the kick/toms/cymbals. Don't change it - it sounds good.

She has a really pointed voice. It's really hard to get them to sit. They are either slightly buried, like this, or loud and strident. I've struggled with that on all of our stuff.

Maybe I'll mess with the snare a bit. It's got the same verb that the toms do, but I've probably got it too processed...

Updated. When I looked, I found that only the snare had verb on it. I turned up the vocals a bit as well.

Sounds good. The vocals are on the edge of being really good but I think I get what you mean about pointed.

This was a project that never really go finished. When I opened the session, after 8 years, a lot of the plugins I used were missing and some of the stuff was messed up because it was done on a previous version.

I'm also way to close to this to have any perspective...

Thanks for the comments.

man, this song rocks. I love the guitar work. I think the drums sound fantastic. It's really a fine recording and I enjoyed the listen!

I'm also way to close to this to have any perspective...

I'm close to every tune I put up here. It's possible to have perspective, though. It's just more difficult than for a listener who doesn't have a dog in the race.

I think this tune is about 10 years old. I've listened to the unfinished version for those 10 years, so I'm used to it that way. So when I was remixing it, because I had to due to the session not translating to the new version of Nuendo, it was hard for me not to make it into the unfinished thing I had been listening to all this time.

I think this sounds pretty good. The backing sounds really good, nice performances, tight and well balanced.

The vocals are good but I'd be interested to hear them dryer, with less processing on them. Might help them sit better.

As it is though, I enjoyed the track. Reminded me of Fleetwood Mac in places. :thumbs up:

I want the snare to hit harder. The reverb is widely spaced on it, I agree with the poster above who said that it is kind of taken out of the mix. I guess I want some compressor pumping to give me the feel of room compression at an indy hard rock show. I'd play with copying the vocal track, adding an interesting chorus, and unmuting the double track to punctuate certain words. The harmonies on the vox at the climax rule.

Sounds like it was mixed by the drummer lol - just kidding....Your drumming is excellent.
That vocalist is great - actually the whole band rocks :)
No mix suggestions - everything sounds well done. And I like reverb so I say keep it.

Cool track. I'm not really getting a "sounds like" sense from this, which is great. Pretty unique sound (at least according to what I am familiar with). Well balanced overall. Good sounds.

From a personal and subjective standpoint based on how the mix is coming across in my space:

Something about the hihats seems off. They are wide, like they are in stereo or something. Is that because they are maybe being picked up heavily in the OH's and offset by a close mic or something? In any case, if this was on my desk, I'd try to monoize/centralize that somehow.

Vocals get pretty ess-y. I don't have any experience with female vocals, but I feel like I would try to fill out the body/thickness and evenness of her vocals with a parallel compressed track that has a focus on the 240 - 280 range. I'd set up the compression to be distorted and harmonically rich so the lower region of the vocals are enhanced. Once getting the ess and low mids evened out, I'd probably spend a while going through the song section by section and automating the levels to make sure she is always gelled but sitting on top. I might also drop the ambiance of the vocals a bit so that they are a little less 'floaty', but I tend to prefer drier production choices, so that (like all of my thoughts here) is highly subjective.

Ah, how I love a good pick slide.

Back